MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+
17 answers Last reply
More about artic silver

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:31:59 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >Is this stuff really worth buying?

    Negga-No-No, - again !

    BoroLad

    What do you recommend?
    <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    news:es7vi097dqtvi24srtb1mdqrmm68usapr5@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:31:59 -0400, "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is this stuff really worth buying?
    >
    > Negga-No-No, - again !
    >
    > BoroLad

    What is the problem with AC5? Is other AC types any better?

    "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Is this stuff really worth buying?
    >
    > --
    > Mark
    > MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

    "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Is this stuff really worth buying?

    No

    "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Is this stuff really worth buying?

    I found it actually helped by 1-2 degrees on my Barton, and by 2-3 degrees
    on an older Palomino chip. This is comparing against the original factory
    AMD thermal pad. Compared against my reapplying white thermal paste I don't
    have data. I seem to remember some aussie's website where he did a test
    using all kinds of thermal pastes as well as stuff like vegemite and
    toothpaste. There wasn't a whole lot of difference.

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:31:59 -0400, Mark wrote:

    > Is this stuff really worth buying?

    No.

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 02:57:03 +0000, Augustus wrote:

    > "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> Is this stuff really worth buying?
    >>

    > I found it actually helped by 1-2 degrees on my Barton, and by 2-3 degrees
    > on an older Palomino chip. This is comparing against the original factory
    > AMD thermal pad. Compared against my reapplying white thermal paste I don't
    > have data. I seem to remember some aussie's website where he did a test
    > using all kinds of thermal pastes as well as stuff like vegemite and
    > toothpaste. There wasn't a whole lot of difference.

    Any properly applied paste is better than a pad.

    http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > What do you recommend?

    Ordinary white paste will do fine.... There is nothing 'wrong' with AS5 it
    is just too expensive.

    ****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> astounded us with: news:6L2dnS6ahrsZB7LcRVn-
    og@adelphia.com:

    > Is this stuff really worth buying?

    It is for the manufacturer... ;)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    NO,but i bought it anyway :p, one tube will last me FOREVER :)

    And even if its onlt 1,2,3 degress better thats enough for a cpu, well
    for me anyway.

    See ya.

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:18:52 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:31:59 -0400, Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Is this stuff really worth buying?
    >
    >No.

    HELLO NURSE.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    No

    "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Is this stuff really worth buying?
    >
    > --
    > Mark
    > MCSA, CNA, A+, Net+, iNet+, Server+

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Mark wrote:

    > Is this stuff really worth buying?

    Yes , unless you live in a trailer park then it might be a little too
    costly.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    The Rat Shack white paste does have long term problems. After years of use the
    paste dries out to a flaky powder and is useless as a TIM. This is one area
    where Arctic Silver shines, it doesn't break down after long term use.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:40:35 +0000, Wblane wrote:

    > The Rat Shack white paste does have long term problems. After years of use the
    > paste dries out to a flaky powder and is useless as a TIM. This is one area
    > where Arctic Silver shines, it doesn't break down after long term use.

    But the system will be obsolete long before the paste dries out. Seems
    like a waste to use a product that may last 10 years when the system is
    likely to be scrapped after 3-5 years.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    The Rat-shack white paste dried out after two years, not 10. Another factor to
    consider is thermal pump-out, something Arctic Silver was expressly designed
    not to do.

    >But the system will be obsolete long before the paste dries out. Seems
    >like a waste to use a product that may last 10 years when the system is
    >likely to be scrapped after 3-5 years.
    >
    >--
    >Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
    >http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    You are talking about Computers, everything we buy for it has a value
    next day of 1 cent :).

    So it does not matter realy we screw ourselves by buying pcs.

    Oh well.

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:09:40 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:40:35 +0000, Wblane wrote:
    >
    >> The Rat Shack white paste does have long term problems. After years of use the
    >> paste dries out to a flaky powder and is useless as a TIM. This is one area
    >> where Arctic Silver shines, it doesn't break down after long term use.
    >
    >But the system will be obsolete long before the paste dries out. Seems
    >like a waste to use a product that may last 10 years when the system is
    >likely to be scrapped after 3-5 years.

    HELLO NURSE.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:30:25 +0000, Wblane wrote:

    > The Rat-shack white paste dried out after two years, not 10. Another factor to
    > consider is thermal pump-out, something Arctic Silver was expressly designed
    > not to do.

    The only way it would dry out in 2 yeqars would be from daily turning it
    on and off Or more than that. this will cause a lot k\more problems than
    any paste ever would. left on most of the time it should last at least
    5 years, unless the rat shack paste is really bad stuff. Don't recall ever
    using theirs.

AMD Overclocking Hardware Silver