New (old) computer

I recently aquired a another PC from some friends. It is an Emachines
T1742 and I don't believe it is very old. I haven't had the chance to hook it
up to my monitor to check it out, but I believe it was not used much. It is
slightly better than my current PC. It has a 1.7 GHz Celeron vs. my 1.0 CPU,
I believe the motherboard to be better, and the hard drive is the same size
as my own: 40 Gig. My friends took the RAM in the new computer.
I half considered replacing my CPU with the faster 1.7, but I don't think
my motherboard can handle it. I think the best course of action is to move
the hard ware from my current computer into the new one. Besides, I like the
new PC case better. ;-) This would probably include my hard drive, RAM, and
CD-RW/DVD. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I'm not sure
whether to put in my hard drive and try to boot from that (I've read I'll
probably have to do a repair install) or put my hard drive in as a slave or
secondary master.
Are there usually problems when you run 2 hard drives on a computer?
Also, any thoughts about if it would increase speed to keep programs on one
hard drive and use the other primarily for windows?
I welcome any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions.
6 answers Last reply
More about computer

    "Are there usually problems when you run 2 hard drives on a computer?"
    There are never problems...presuming you do it right.

    "[Would it] increase speed to keep programs on one hard drive and use the
    other primarily for windows?"
    No.

    On computers that old, you would be better off to run Windows 98 rather than
    XP. If you really want to use XP, you should expect slow performance. To
    maximize performance, run as few programs as possible in the background, and
    try to avoid programs that will tax your hardware.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "micael911" <micael911@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently aquired a another PC from some friends. It is an Emachines
    > T1742 and I don't believe it is very old. I haven't had the chance to hook
    it
    > up to my monitor to check it out, but I believe it was not used much. It
    is
    > slightly better than my current PC. It has a 1.7 GHz Celeron vs. my 1.0
    CPU,
    > I believe the motherboard to be better, and the hard drive is the same
    size
    > as my own: 40 Gig. My friends took the RAM in the new computer.
    > I half considered replacing my CPU with the faster 1.7, but I don't
    think
    > my motherboard can handle it. I think the best course of action is to move
    > the hard ware from my current computer into the new one. Besides, I like
    the
    > new PC case better. ;-) This would probably include my hard drive, RAM,
    and
    > CD-RW/DVD. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. I'm not sure
    > whether to put in my hard drive and try to boot from that (I've read I'll
    > probably have to do a repair install) or put my hard drive in as a slave
    or
    > secondary master.
    > Are there usually problems when you run 2 hard drives on a computer?
    > Also, any thoughts about if it would increase speed to keep programs on
    one
    > hard drive and use the other primarily for windows?
    > I welcome any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions.

    Micael

    Fit memory into the new computer.. fit the hard drive from your old computer
    into the new (disconnect the incumbent drive until you have your drive up
    and running)

    Do a repair install on your drive.. for details on the procedure, go to..

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

    >On computers that old, you would be better off to run Windows 98 rather than
    >XP. If you really want to use XP, you should expect slow performance. To
    >maximize performance, run as few programs as possible in the background, and
    >try to avoid programs that will tax your hardware.

    A 1.7 ghz Celeron is not that old. At least it better not be - that
    is what I am running. :-)

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Micael
    >
    >Fit memory into the new computer.. fit the hard drive from your old computer
    >into the new (disconnect the incumbent drive until you have your drive up
    >and running)
    >
    >Do a repair install on your drive.. for details on the procedure, go to..
    >
    >http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
    >
    >Good luck..

    One caveat regarding the above. You need to check out your Windows XP
    version first, specifically to see of it is a "BIOS Locked" OEM
    version.

    If your existing computer is also by eMachines then there is not
    likely to be an issue. Otherwise open Control Panel - System -
    General and look at the 20 character Product I.D. Code shown on the
    last line of the "Licensed to" section. If the second segment of the
    Product I.D. reads OEM then you have an OEM version.

    Note that the Produc I.D. is 20 characters and is not the same as the
    25 character Product Key used to install Windows XP.

    If your old computer has an OEM version of Windows XP then you can
    check to see if it is a "BIOS Locked" OEM version by using Start - All
    Programs - Accessories - System Tools and looking for an "Activate
    Windows" entry on the menu. If there is no "Activate Windows" entry
    in the System Tools section then your OEM verison of Windows XP is
    BIOS Locked and you will not be able to activate that version on a
    motherboard that is not from the same manufacturer/assembler that
    provided the original computer.

    If there is an "Activate Windows" entry on the System Tools menu then
    your OEM version of Windows XP is not BIOS Locked *unless* you had
    previously replaced the motherboard with a different brand prior to 1
    March 2005.

    Good luck

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in

    > On computers that old, you would be better off to run Windows 98
    > rather than XP. If you really want to use XP, you should expect
    > slow performance. To maximize performance, run as few programs
    > as possible in the background, and try to avoid programs that
    > will tax your hardware.

    Nonsense.

    It's not only about the processor. Most computers that came with a 1.7GHz
    Celeron likely have hardware of the same vintage. The fact that you are
    running it doesn't mean that it's not old. I use a transistor radio on
    occasion. The fact that you are running it to your satisfaction is a credit
    to you.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >

    > >On computers that old, you would be better off to run Windows 98 rather
    than
    > >XP. If you really want to use XP, you should expect slow performance. To
    > >maximize performance, run as few programs as possible in the background,
    and
    > >try to avoid programs that will tax your hardware.
    >
    > A 1.7 ghz Celeron is not that old. At least it better not be - that
    > is what I am running. :-)
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP