Memory problems/questions?

August 16, 2005 5:06:40 PM

I have just bought a 512mb ddr memory. On the Box there
are the following specifications:

DDR 333MHz DIMM 184 pins
PC2100-266MHz Compatible

I have installed this module in my ASUS A7A266-E board and
I am having an intermittent hangup problem, i.e. every now and
again the computer simply stops responding, even the mouse
doesn't respond, and I need to reboot. This is almost certain
when I copy many files over the network, but does not happen
with my old SDRAM memory. My core voltage seems to be
slightly higher than 1.65, at 1.75, my bus speed is 100MHz,
and my CPU is x12.5 i.e. 1200MHz. I cannot
understand what is going on. I have already replaced the module
once, so it is unlikely to be faulty (unless it is an entire batch??)

Any ideas? What is PC2100, and what is 333MHz/PC2100-266MHz ?
August 16, 2005 5:06:41 PM

<Scotty> wrote:

> I have just bought a 512mb ddr memory. On the Box there
> are the following specifications:
>
> DDR 333MHz DIMM 184 pins
> PC2100-266MHz Compatible
>
> I have installed this module in my ASUS A7A266-E board and
> I am having an intermittent hangup problem, i.e. every now and
> again the computer simply stops responding, even the mouse
> doesn't respond, and I need to reboot. This is almost certain
> when I copy many files over the network, but does not happen
> with my old SDRAM memory. My core voltage seems to be
> slightly higher than 1.65, at 1.75, my bus speed is 100MHz,
> and my CPU is x12.5 i.e. 1200MHz. I cannot
> understand what is going on. I have already replaced the module
> once, so it is unlikely to be faulty (unless it is an entire batch??)
>
> Any ideas? What is PC2100, and what is 333MHz/PC2100-266MHz ?

You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer to
the Asus's manual or their website for the exact RAM you need. Although
the RAM you bought may say it is compatible with your board, it may not
be. Yes, there is always the possibility that the new RAM is faulty,
but it is far more likely that your m/b just doesn't like it.

For a clear understanding of RAM, go to Crucial's website here:
http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer to

It is, my m.b can accept both sdram and ddr, and what's more it is running
at an external F of 100MHz which is well within the nominal F 333MHz

> the Asus's manual or their website for the exact RAM you need. Although
> the RAM you bought may say it is compatible with your board, it may not
> be. Yes, there is always the possibility that the new RAM is faulty,
> but it is far more likely that your m/b just doesn't like it.
>
> For a clear understanding of RAM, go to Crucial's website here:
> http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
August 16, 2005 6:58:07 PM

<Scotty> wrote:

>> You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer
>
> It is, my m.b can accept both sdram and ddr, and what's more it is
> running at an external F of 100MHz which is well within the nominal F
> 333MHz

Then maybe you got a bad batch or you are trying to run both sdram and
ddr at the same time, or... You've got a good cause-and-effect - with
the new RAM the system crashes. Therefore, you know there is a problem
with the new RAM or the slots on the motherboard. You have to
troubleshoot by swapping out RAM in different combinations, keeping
notes and testing after each change. There really isn't any other way
to do it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 16, 2005 6:58:07 PM

Run the Microsoft RAM test (it makes a bootable dos floppy).
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

or this one
http://www.qualitas.com/product/ramexam/whatisre.htm

--PA

"Scotty" wrote:
> > You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer to
>
> It is, my m.b can accept both sdram and ddr, and what's more it is running
> at an external F of 100MHz which is well within the nominal F 333MHz
>
> > the Asus's manual or their website for the exact RAM you need. Although
> > the RAM you bought may say it is compatible with your board, it may not
> > be. Yes, there is always the possibility that the new RAM is faulty,
> > but it is far more likely that your m/b just doesn't like it.
> >
> > For a clear understanding of RAM, go to Crucial's website here:
> > http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 17, 2005 7:13:28 PM

> It means that the memory is probably fine for the other computer but
> your Asus hates it. For definitions of memory terms, go to the Crucial
> library site here:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp

Crucial recommends this 184-pin DIMM DDR PC2100 module guaranteed to be
compatible with your system and deliver the performance you need.

> "Don't Panic"

mm....
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 18, 2005 5:23:46 AM

<Scotty> wrote in message news:ecYvmnroFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>> Run the Microsoft RAM test (it makes a bootable dos floppy).
>> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>>
>> or this one
>> http://www.qualitas.com/product/ramexam/whatisre.htm
>>
>> --PA
>>

> It passed the slow BIOS test, what does this tell you?

Almost nothing. The tests above are more thorough.

--PA
!