Memory problems/questions?

I have just bought a 512mb ddr memory. On the Box there
are the following specifications:

DDR 333MHz DIMM 184 pins
PC2100-266MHz Compatible

I have installed this module in my ASUS A7A266-E board and
I am having an intermittent hangup problem, i.e. every now and
again the computer simply stops responding, even the mouse
doesn't respond, and I need to reboot. This is almost certain
when I copy many files over the network, but does not happen
with my old SDRAM memory. My core voltage seems to be
slightly higher than 1.65, at 1.75, my bus speed is 100MHz,
and my CPU is x12.5 i.e. 1200MHz. I cannot
understand what is going on. I have already replaced the module
once, so it is unlikely to be faulty (unless it is an entire batch??)

Any ideas? What is PC2100, and what is 333MHz/PC2100-266MHz ?
7 answers Last reply
More about memory problems questions

    <Scotty> wrote:

    > I have just bought a 512mb ddr memory. On the Box there
    > are the following specifications:
    >
    > DDR 333MHz DIMM 184 pins
    > PC2100-266MHz Compatible
    >
    > I have installed this module in my ASUS A7A266-E board and
    > I am having an intermittent hangup problem, i.e. every now and
    > again the computer simply stops responding, even the mouse
    > doesn't respond, and I need to reboot. This is almost certain
    > when I copy many files over the network, but does not happen
    > with my old SDRAM memory. My core voltage seems to be
    > slightly higher than 1.65, at 1.75, my bus speed is 100MHz,
    > and my CPU is x12.5 i.e. 1200MHz. I cannot
    > understand what is going on. I have already replaced the module
    > once, so it is unlikely to be faulty (unless it is an entire batch??)
    >
    > Any ideas? What is PC2100, and what is 333MHz/PC2100-266MHz ?

    You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer to
    the Asus's manual or their website for the exact RAM you need. Although
    the RAM you bought may say it is compatible with your board, it may not
    be. Yes, there is always the possibility that the new RAM is faulty,
    but it is far more likely that your m/b just doesn't like it.

    For a clear understanding of RAM, go to Crucial's website here:
    http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    > You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer to

    It is, my m.b can accept both sdram and ddr, and what's more it is running
    at an external F of 100MHz which is well within the nominal F 333MHz

    <Scotty> wrote:

    >> You need to use RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. Refer
    >
    > It is, my m.b can accept both sdram and ddr, and what's more it is
    > running at an external F of 100MHz which is well within the nominal F
    > 333MHz

    Then maybe you got a bad batch or you are trying to run both sdram and
    ddr at the same time, or... You've got a good cause-and-effect - with
    the new RAM the system crashes. Therefore, you know there is a problem
    with the new RAM or the slots on the motherboard. You have to
    troubleshoot by swapping out RAM in different combinations, keeping
    notes and testing after each change. There really isn't any other way
    to do it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Run the Microsoft RAM test (it makes a bootable dos floppy).
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    or this one
    http://www.qualitas.com/product/ramexam/whatisre.htm

    --PA

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
    > Run the Microsoft RAM test (it makes a bootable dos floppy).
    > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >
    > or this one
    > http://www.qualitas.com/product/ramexam/whatisre.htm
    >
    > --PA

    It passed the slow BIOS test, what does this tell you?

    > It means that the memory is probably fine for the other computer but
    > your Asus hates it. For definitions of memory terms, go to the Crucial
    > library site here:
    >
    > http://www.crucial.com/library/index.asp

    Crucial recommends this 184-pin DIMM DDR PC2100 module guaranteed to be
    compatible with your system and deliver the performance you need.

    > "Don't Panic"

    mm....

    <Scotty> wrote in message news:ecYvmnroFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    > "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
    >> Run the Microsoft RAM test (it makes a bootable dos floppy).
    >> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    >>
    >> or this one
    >> http://www.qualitas.com/product/ramexam/whatisre.htm
    >>
    >> --PA
    >>

    > It passed the slow BIOS test, what does this tell you?

    Almost nothing. The tests above are more thorough.

    --PA

Memory Windows XP