Which 19" LCD to buy?

ok , I am close to deciding between two 19" LCD monitors...and I wanted your
opinion on what you think was the better buy. Here's the pro's and con's:
(I'm only going to highlight major differences, otherwise its the same:)

ACER AL1914
8ms response time
Brightness 270
Contrast ratio 550
I found reviews on Newegg, it has gotten excellent ratings. However, the
price for it is $306. This is the "better quality monitor"

AOPEN F95GS
12ms response time
brightness 250
contrast ratio 500
I found reviews for a very slightly cheaper model, which is not supposedly
as good as this model. It also received 5 out of 5 stars. No reviews for
this exact model. The caveat: currently the price is $312-$10 instant
savings, and the manufacturer is offering a $50 rebate. Essentially, this
model is about $55 cheaper.

Do you think I will notice a major difference between 12ms and 8ms in games
and watching DVD's? Do you think the extra $50 is worth what the ACER has
that the Aopen does not?

I appreciate all responses!!!

"Dan R" <DanR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>ok , I am close to deciding between two 19" LCD monitors...and I wanted your
>opinion on what you think was the better buy. Here's the pro's and con's:
>(I'm only going to highlight major differences, otherwise its the same:)
>
>ACER AL1914
>8ms response time
>Brightness 270
>Contrast ratio 550
>I found reviews on Newegg, it has gotten excellent ratings. However, the
>price for it is $306. This is the "better quality monitor"
>
>AOPEN F95GS
>12ms response time
>brightness 250
>contrast ratio 500
>I found reviews for a very slightly cheaper model, which is not supposedly
>as good as this model. It also received 5 out of 5 stars. No reviews for
>this exact model. The caveat: currently the price is $312-$10 instant
>savings, and the manufacturer is offering a $50 rebate. Essentially, this
>model is about $55 cheaper.
>
>Do you think I will notice a major difference between 12ms and 8ms in games
>and watching DVD's? Do you think the extra $50 is worth what the ACER has
>that the Aopen does not?
>
>I appreciate all responses!!!

If fast-action games or watching videos on your computer are important
to you then you would find that the 8 ms response time would be
preferable to the 12 ms.\

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Response time is basically the amount of time it takes for a liquid
crystal cell to go from active (black) to inactive (white) and back
to active (black) again. It is measured in milliseconds or (ms).
Lower numbers mean faster transitions (eg. 16 ms is faster than 25 ms.)
and therefore less visible image artifacts.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Dan R" wrote:

| ok , I am close to deciding between two 19" LCD monitors...and I wanted your
| opinion on what you think was the better buy. Here's the pro's and con's:
| (I'm only going to highlight major differences, otherwise its the same:)
|
| ACER AL1914
| 8ms response time
| Brightness 270
| Contrast ratio 550
| I found reviews on Newegg, it has gotten excellent ratings. However, the
| price for it is $306. This is the "better quality monitor"
|
| AOPEN F95GS
| 12ms response time
| brightness 250
| contrast ratio 500
| I found reviews for a very slightly cheaper model, which is not supposedly
| as good as this model. It also received 5 out of 5 stars. No reviews for
| this exact model. The caveat: currently the price is $312-$10 instant
| savings, and the manufacturer is offering a $50 rebate. Essentially, this
| model is about $55 cheaper.
|
| Do you think I will notice a major difference between 12ms and 8ms in games
| and watching DVD's? Do you think the extra $50 is worth what the ACER has
| that the Aopen does not?
|
| I appreciate all responses!!!

Have you actually gone to look at both monitors??
Like you said they are very close in specs.........but you wont be watching
"specs" when you are playing a game or cruisin the net.There are numerous
articles on the web on how manufacturers achieve this response time...the
standards vary..do a google.
You will definitly need to see both in action before you decide!!
And you need to make sure that your video card can handle the default
resolution
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20030902/
peterk

"Dan R" <DanR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok , I am close to deciding between two 19" LCD monitors...and I wanted
> your
> opinion on what you think was the better buy. Here's the pro's and con's:
> (I'm only going to highlight major differences, otherwise its the same:)
>
> ACER AL1914
> 8ms response time
> Brightness 270
> Contrast ratio 550
> I found reviews on Newegg, it has gotten excellent ratings. However, the
> price for it is $306. This is the "better quality monitor"
>
> AOPEN F95GS
> 12ms response time
> brightness 250
> contrast ratio 500
> I found reviews for a very slightly cheaper model, which is not supposedly
> as good as this model. It also received 5 out of 5 stars. No reviews for
> this exact model. The caveat: currently the price is $312-$10 instant
> savings, and the manufacturer is offering a $50 rebate. Essentially, this
> model is about $55 cheaper.
>
> Do you think I will notice a major difference between 12ms and 8ms in
> games
> and watching DVD's? Do you think the extra $50 is worth what the ACER has
> that the Aopen does not?
>
> I appreciate all responses!!!

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:21:03 -0700, "Dan R"
<DanR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>ok , I am close to deciding between two 19" LCD monitors...and I wanted your
>opinion on what you think was the better buy. Here's the pro's and con's:
>(I'm only going to highlight major differences, otherwise its the same:)
>
>ACER AL1914
>8ms response time
>Brightness 270
>Contrast ratio 550
>I found reviews on Newegg, it has gotten excellent ratings. However, the
>price for it is $306. This is the "better quality monitor"
>
>AOPEN F95GS
>12ms response time
>brightness 250
>contrast ratio 500
>I found reviews for a very slightly cheaper model, which is not supposedly
>as good as this model. It also received 5 out of 5 stars. No reviews for
>this exact model. The caveat: currently the price is $312-$10 instant
>savings, and the manufacturer is offering a $50 rebate. Essentially, this
>model is about $55 cheaper.
>
>Do you think I will notice a major difference between 12ms and 8ms in games
>and watching DVD's? Do you think the extra $50 is worth what the ACER has
>that the Aopen does not?
>
>I appreciate all responses!!!

What does this have to do with WinXP? Ask this on some type of
hardware board!

NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>What does this have to do with WinXP? Ask this on some type of
>hardware board!

You mean something like microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:57:40 -0700, Ron Martell
<ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:
>

>>What does this have to do with WinXP? Ask this on some type of
>>hardware board!
>
>You mean something like microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware?
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

No, since this group deals with XP and hardware problems related to
the OS.

What monitor you should buy has NOTHING to do with the OS.

why u gotta be an arse?

hardware is hardware and the value of opinions of one's peers brought this
poster here... offer your opinion on his question or ignore it.

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message news:4do7g1lgqbp44jb2a6ad3hvpr9ugqekbvh@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:57:40 -0700, Ron Martell
No, since this group deals with XP and hardware problems related to
> the OS.
>
> What monitor you should buy has NOTHING to do with the OS.

Not really... These days, the only computer part that is pure hardware,
is a mouse pad. Most other parts have some sort of intelligence in them.
Monitor should support PnP so Windows can auto detect it's refresh rates,
resolution, power saving caps etc.

--PA