USB port not working with camera

I have a vivitar vivicam 3915. It did not come with drivers, and vivitar's
website says that drivers are not available for XP (which i have). Rather,
as the camera is plug and play, the camera will automatically use windows
scanner and camera wizard. This has always been the case in the past, no
problems. However, upon plugging the camera into any usb port on my computer
today, none work. The camera is registering that it is plugged in the
computer (it goes into USB mode), but the computer does nothing.

TIA for any help.

Cari
8 answers Last reply
More about port working camera

    Right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. On the following
    screen, click on Disk Management. Does the camera show up as a Removable
    Drive on the right hand side?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Emmaleth" <Emmaleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a vivitar vivicam 3915. It did not come with drivers, and vivitar's
    > website says that drivers are not available for XP (which i have).
    > Rather,
    > as the camera is plug and play, the camera will automatically use windows
    > scanner and camera wizard. This has always been the case in the past, no
    > problems. However, upon plugging the camera into any usb port on my
    > computer
    > today, none work. The camera is registering that it is plugged in the
    > computer (it goes into USB mode), but the computer does nothing.
    >
    > TIA for any help.
    >
    > Cari

    No, it does not show up, but I have never installed any drivers - I would
    have to for it show up - right? Maybe not - I only know just enough to be
    dangerous! LOL

    I have always just plugged the usb cable into the camera, and windows does
    the rest.

    BTW - Your name is Cari? Mine is as well - never met anyone who spelled
    their name that way.

    Thanks

    Cari

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. On the following
    > screen, click on Disk Management. Does the camera show up as a Removable
    > Drive on the right hand side?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Emmaleth" <Emmaleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a vivitar vivicam 3915. It did not come with drivers, and vivitar's
    > > website says that drivers are not available for XP (which i have).
    > > Rather,
    > > as the camera is plug and play, the camera will automatically use windows
    > > scanner and camera wizard. This has always been the case in the past, no
    > > problems. However, upon plugging the camera into any usb port on my
    > > computer
    > > today, none work. The camera is registering that it is plugged in the
    > > computer (it goes into USB mode), but the computer does nothing.
    > >
    > > TIA for any help.
    > >
    > > Cari

    XP should install the drivers automatically as soon as you hook up the USB
    cables and turn the camera on.

    Do you hear a 'ding' sound when the camera and PC are connected? Did you
    try another USB port? It sounds like a connection problem... possibly the
    cable or the USB port - which could be at either end.

    --

    > No, it does not show up, but I have never installed any drivers - I would
    > have to for it show up - right? Maybe not - I only know just enough to be
    > dangerous! LOL
    >
    > I have always just plugged the usb cable into the camera, and windows does
    > the rest.
    >
    > BTW - Your name is Cari? Mine is as well - never met anyone who spelled
    > their name that way.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Cari
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. On the following
    >> screen, click on Disk Management. Does the camera show up as a Removable
    >> Drive on the right hand side?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Emmaleth" <Emmaleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a vivitar vivicam 3915. It did not come with drivers, and
    >> >vivitar's
    >> > website says that drivers are not available for XP (which i have).
    >> > Rather,
    >> > as the camera is plug and play, the camera will automatically use
    >> > windows
    >> > scanner and camera wizard. This has always been the case in the past,
    >> > no
    >> > problems. However, upon plugging the camera into any usb port on my
    >> > computer
    >> > today, none work. The camera is registering that it is plugged in the
    >> > computer (it goes into USB mode), but the computer does nothing.
    >> >
    >> > TIA for any help.
    >> >
    >> > Cari

    no, no ding sound - I used to hear it, but today, nothing - and i have tried
    plugging it into all 3 usb ports, and nada.

    The camera registers that it is conected to the computer, but nothing
    happens on the computer's end.

    The computer is a compaq, so maybe I will try giving them a call.

    Thanks

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > XP should install the drivers automatically as soon as you hook up the USB
    > cables and turn the camera on.
    >
    > Do you hear a 'ding' sound when the camera and PC are connected? Did you
    > try another USB port? It sounds like a connection problem... possibly the
    > cable or the USB port - which could be at either end.
    >

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "Emmaleth" <Emmaleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No, it does not show up, but I have never installed any drivers - I would
    > > have to for it show up - right? Maybe not - I only know just enough to be
    > > dangerous! LOL
    > >
    > > I have always just plugged the usb cable into the camera, and windows does
    > > the rest.
    > >
    > > BTW - Your name is Cari? Mine is as well - never met anyone who spelled
    > > their name that way.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Cari
    > >
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. On the following
    > >> screen, click on Disk Management. Does the camera show up as a Removable
    > >> Drive on the right hand side?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>

    > >> "Emmaleth" <Emmaleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Either bad cable or bad USB ports. It's not connecting as far as the PC is
    concerned.
    --

    > no, no ding sound - I used to hear it, but today, nothing - and i have
    > tried
    > plugging it into all 3 usb ports, and nada.
    >
    > The camera registers that it is conected to the computer, but nothing
    > happens on the computer's end.
    >
    > The computer is a compaq, so maybe I will try giving them a call.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> XP should install the drivers automatically as soon as you hook up the
    >> USB
    >> cables and turn the camera on.
    >>
    >> Do you hear a 'ding' sound when the camera and PC are connected? Did you
    >> try another USB port? It sounds like a connection problem... possibly
    >> the
    >> cable or the USB port - which could be at either end.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>

    >> "Emmaleth" <Emmaleth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > No, it does not show up, but I have never installed any drivers - I
    >> > would
    >> > have to for it show up - right? Maybe not - I only know just enough to
    >> > be
    >> > dangerous! LOL
    >> >
    >> > I have always just plugged the usb cable into the camera, and windows
    >> > does
    >> > the rest.
    >> >
    >> > BTW - Your name is Cari? Mine is as well - never met anyone who spelled
    >> > their name that way.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Cari

    Emmaleth,
    Try this and see if it helps;
    'Autoplay Repair Wizard' (http://tinyurl.com/5s4x7)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Check that removable media services is running. A mistake I made!

    Check that removable media services is running. A mistake I made!

Cameras USB Computers Windows XP