Best AMD mb/cpu for the money?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

I'm needing to upgrade several computers, all for
home/school/graphics/gaming. No major number crunching, so I'm
avoiding the Intel money trap.

Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,
allowing maybe a little more for shipping. I know I'm sounding cheap,
but I have to upgrade at least 3 PCs.

Thanks in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about best money
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

    > Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
    > throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
    > motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
    > yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,

    Current prices on NewEgg:
    Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" = $90
    EPoX EP-8RDA3I = $58

    I haven't used that particular board myself, but it's got a good chipset
    (nForce2 Ultra 400) and seems to be pretty highly regarded in the review
    circles.

    In article <c72a6456.0408301016.313de48b@posting.google.com>, jmev7@yahoo.com (jmev7) wrote:
    >I'm needing to upgrade several computers, all for
    >home/school/graphics/gaming. No major number crunching, so I'm
    >avoiding the Intel money trap.
    >
    >Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
    >throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
    >motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
    >yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,
    >allowing maybe a little more for shipping. I know I'm sounding cheap,
    >but I have to upgrade at least 3 PCs.
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    That's a tall order for $150. How about a Shuttle an35n Ultra and XP2600+
    Mobile Athlon easily overclocked to 2.4Ghz and higher.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:16:20 -0700, jmev7 wrote:

    > I'm needing to upgrade several computers, all for
    > home/school/graphics/gaming. No major number crunching, so I'm
    > avoiding the Intel money trap.
    >
    > Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
    > throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
    > motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
    > yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,
    > allowing maybe a little more for shipping. I know I'm sounding cheap,
    > but I have to upgrade at least 3 PCs.

    You realize you'll probably need new ram (PC3200), but it's still doable
    fro about $150, maybe a little more if you can get by with 256M ram.

    XP 2500+ $59
    One of many MB's that support a 200MHZ FSB, about $50 or less.
    (SIS 748, Nvidia nforce 2 400, or nforce2 ultra 400, VIA ( I wouldn't)
    KT600 or newer chipsets)
    256M generic PC3200 Ram, $25.
    CPU cooler, TR2-M1 $9.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for the advice. I don't understand what you meant by "VIA ( I
    wouldn't) KT600 or newer chipsets)". I assumed you were talking video
    cards. I figure KT2600 is the chipset I should ask for. I will look
    into this some more.

    Also, great website - not very fancy, but VERY informative. I'll be
    spending some time learning there. Thanks again!

    Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.08.31.06.38.07.244687@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:16:20 -0700, jmev7 wrote:
    >
    > > I'm needing to upgrade several computers, all for
    > > home/school/graphics/gaming. No major number crunching, so I'm
    > > avoiding the Intel money trap.
    > >
    > > Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
    > > throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
    > > motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
    > > yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,
    > > allowing maybe a little more for shipping. I know I'm sounding cheap,
    > > but I have to upgrade at least 3 PCs.
    > >
    > You realize you'll probably need new ram (PC3200), but it's still doable
    > fro about $150, maybe a little more if you can get by with 256M ram.
    >
    > XP 2500+ $59
    > One of many MB's that support a 200MHZ FSB, about $50 or less.
    > (SIS 748, Nvidia nforce 2 400, or nforce2 ultra 400, VIA ( I wouldn't)
    > KT600 or newer chipsets)
    > 256M generic PC3200 Ram, $25.
    > CPU cooler, TR2-M1 $9.

    I'll look into it, though I have never overclocked before. I guess
    it's time to learn, but I don't want to void the warranty should I
    kill the poor thing :-).

    Thanks very much.

    In article <c72a6456.0408311324.1751c36f@posting.google.com>, jmev7@yahoo.com (jmev7) wrote:
    >Thanks for the advice. I don't understand what you meant by "VIA ( I
    >wouldn't) KT600 or newer chipsets)". I assumed you were talking video
    >cards. I figure KT2600 is the chipset I should ask for. I will look
    >into this some more.
    >
    >Also, great website - not very fancy, but VERY informative. I'll be
    >spending some time learning there. Thanks again!
    >

    >Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:16:20 -0700, jmev7 wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm needing to upgrade several computers, all for
    >> > home/school/graphics/gaming. No major number crunching, so I'm
    >> > avoiding the Intel money trap.
    >> >
    >> > Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
    >> > throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
    >> > motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
    >> > yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,
    >> > allowing maybe a little more for shipping. I know I'm sounding cheap,
    >> > but I have to upgrade at least 3 PCs.
    >> >
    >> You realize you'll probably need new ram (PC3200), but it's still doable
    >> fro about $150, maybe a little more if you can get by with 256M ram.
    >>
    >> XP 2500+ $59
    >> One of many MB's that support a 200MHZ FSB, about $50 or less.
    >> (SIS 748, Nvidia nforce 2 400, or nforce2 ultra 400, VIA ( I wouldn't)
    >> KT600 or newer chipsets)
    >> 256M generic PC3200 Ram, $25.
    >> CPU cooler, TR2-M1 $9.

    I think Wes may had been advising you avoid the VIA chipset and so would I,
    The SiS 748 is cheapest but may not have all the overclocking options that you
    want to take advantage of, to reduce the cost of your cpu.You miay want to
    take a look at the motherboard reviews on newegg.com to see what is
    cheap and others have had good experiences with.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

    Iam doing 2.5ghz on my Mobile 2500, 200fsb.

    Had it at 2.6 but alittle tooo hot 2.0 vcore or somthing its 1.75 now
    and cool as.

    Hope this helps.

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:38:36 GMT, Wes Newell
    <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:16:20 -0700, jmev7 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm needing to upgrade several computers, all for
    >> home/school/graphics/gaming. No major number crunching, so I'm
    >> avoiding the Intel money trap.
    >>
    >> Can someone recommend the AMD equivelant to a 2.4-2.7Ghz speed (AMD
    >> throws me off with their numbering system)? Also, I need a few
    >> motherboard recommendations, considering the need for reliability and
    >> yet affordability. I don't want to spend more than $150 for the combo,
    >> allowing maybe a little more for shipping. I know I'm sounding cheap,
    >> but I have to upgrade at least 3 PCs.
    >>
    >You realize you'll probably need new ram (PC3200), but it's still doable
    >fro about $150, maybe a little more if you can get by with 256M ram.
    >
    >XP 2500+ $59
    >One of many MB's that support a 200MHZ FSB, about $50 or less.
    >(SIS 748, Nvidia nforce 2 400, or nforce2 ultra 400, VIA ( I wouldn't)
    >KT600 or newer chipsets)
    >256M generic PC3200 Ram, $25.
    >CPU cooler, TR2-M1 $9.

    HELLO NURSE.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.ibm.pc.hardware (More info?)

    "Lachoneus" <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote in message

    > I haven't used that particular board myself, but it's got a good chipset
    > (nForce2 Ultra 400) and seems to be pretty highly regarded in the review
    > circles.

    Has anyone experienced a quirk, with the nForce2 Ultra400 chipset, where a
    USB mouse will sometimes fail to activate during WinXP Pro bootup? My NF7-S
    v2 mobo has this problem, I finally gave up and connected the mouse to the
    PS/2 mouse port (using an adaptor). That seemed to fix it. Is this just a
    quirk with the NF7-S?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:24:21 -0700, jmev7 wrote:

    > Thanks for the advice. I don't understand what you meant by "VIA ( I
    > wouldn't) KT600 or newer chipsets)". I assumed you were talking video
    > cards. I figure KT2600 is the chipset I should ask for. I will look
    > into this some more.

    I meant I wouldn't buy a board with a VIA chipset. Get one with the
    nforce2 400 chipset, or the SIS748. The Asrock K7S8XE+ would be the
    eaisest to configure IMO.

    > Also, great website - not very fancy, but VERY informative. I'll be
    > spending some time learning there. Thanks again!

    I've never found fancy to help one bit.:-)

AMD Hardware Overclocking