Delimia: which laser printer to keep?

I have HP Laserjet 4 with LC tray added and I like this tank. It's so
easy to fix and it's practically impossible for it to up and die for
no reason. But it's huge and whenever the fuser warms up, the lights
on the ceiling and in other room dims quite a bit. For this reason, I
generally keep it turned off unless I need to use it.

OTOH I just got Laserjet 5L and it works well. It's very tiny, has
sleep mode so I don't have to worry about it staying on overnight and
doesn't cause any power brownout. plus it's a bit faster.

What do I do? Sell the 4 and watch my electric bill shrink and my
desktop real estate space increase or what? 5L doesn't go for much at
all on eBay unless it has the extra memory and mine doesn't have any.
The 4 OTOH has 24MB (give ot take, I'll have to check) and the 500
sheet tray.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
10 answers Last reply

    The LJ4 has more media handling options than the 5L. The 5L tends to develop
    roller feed problems that cost more to fix than the printer is worth. (I
    know - I have one, sitting in the corner.)
    The LJ4 is far more robust.
    Another possibility would be to sell both (on eBay?) and buy a used 6P -
    also robust, and less of a strain on the circuits.

    In message <o0jbg09ibctmbpg2l847hjpqqdibfhnh4m@4ax.com>, Impmon
    <impmon@digi.mon> writes
    >What do I do? Sell the 4 and watch my electric bill shrink and my
    >desktop real estate space increase or what? 5L doesn't go for much at
    >all on eBay unless it has the extra memory and mine doesn't have any.
    >The 4 OTOH has 24MB (give ot take, I'll have to check) and the 500
    >sheet tray.

    Could you not keep both? I have an aged IIIp that sits here for use in
    'emergencies'

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    I agree! Keep the old printers configured in the computer's Printer Setup
    and set them aside for an emergency back-up. I kept some really old HP
    Laserjets until repair was more expensive than replacement. And, some of
    the olders HP's will outlast many of the newer models!

    --
    Semper Fi
    Jack LaBrecque

    Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis,
    Fratres Aeterni, Per Mare, Per Terram

    Proud parent of the Sergeant of
    Marines that your Honor Student
    was terrified of after he joined
    the United States Marine Corps

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:34:10 +0100, Timothy Lee <me@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >Could you not keep both? I have an aged IIIp that sits here for use in
    >'emergencies'

    That can be possible. I could leave the 4 at my parent's farm for
    now. Should the 5L break down in the middle of important stuff, it's
    only a few hours to my parent's house and back.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    In message <5npcg0hlp2ju2plp4d8p67lpg5qpqudsf0@4ax.com>, Impmon
    <impmon@digi.mon> writes
    >On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:34:10 +0100, Timothy Lee <me@privacy.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Could you not keep both? I have an aged IIIp that sits here for use in
    >>'emergencies'
    >
    >That can be possible. I could leave the 4 at my parent's farm for
    >now. Should the 5L break down in the middle of important stuff, it's
    >only a few hours to my parent's house and back.

    I have my colour laser on the floor going through the usb and the HP
    turned off but plugged in via the parallel and on a shelf on the wall
    (on the next shelf up is a laminator and underneath the scanner)

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message news:<o0jbg09ibctmbpg2l847hjpqqdibfhnh4m@4ax.com>...
    > I have HP Laserjet 4 with LC tray added and I like this tank. It's so
    > easy to fix and it's practically impossible for it to up and die for
    > no reason. But it's huge and whenever the fuser warms up, the lights
    > on the ceiling and in other room dims quite a bit. For this reason, I
    > generally keep it turned off unless I need to use it.
    >
    > OTOH I just got Laserjet 5L and it works well. It's very tiny, has
    > sleep mode so I don't have to worry about it staying on overnight and
    > doesn't cause any power brownout. plus it's a bit faster.
    >
    > What do I do? Sell the 4 and watch my electric bill shrink and my
    > desktop real estate space increase or what? 5L doesn't go for much at
    > all on eBay unless it has the extra memory and mine doesn't have any.
    > The 4 OTOH has 24MB (give ot take, I'll have to check) and the 500
    > sheet tray.

    The only drawbacks for the 4 are power consumption.
    Accordng to the specs:
    Printing Maximum -- 660 Watts (6.4 Amps), 2250 BTU/HR
    Standby (typical) -- 55 Watts (0.78 Amps)
    Peak Current Draw -- 22 Amps for 20 milliseconds

    So though it doesn't have a sleep mode, when not in use it doesn't
    draw an outrageous amount of power. You could leave it on 12 hours a
    day pulling 55 W at a cost about 5c/day.

    As for desk space, I've got a "computer desk" with a shelf above the
    monitor where I put mine, and inevitably some other junk. If you're at
    all settled where you are, break out the tools and put up some
    shelves, (strong ones for a HP4, at 40 lbs) get everything that
    doesn't have to be on the desk out of the way.

    The 5L is cute but terribly prone to jams -- there was actually a
    class action suit about that. You'll notice after the 5L and 6L HP
    dropped the whole idea of vertical feed. The 4 has a lot of options:
    you can get PS SIMMs and RAM for about $20, or a network card for
    about the same.

    I have an Ink Jet on USB and a Lexmark Optra R on port 1. I would keep the
    printer as the cost of shipping and packing are a killer. Go to Ebay and
    look for a laser. I like the Lexmarks and they have them large to small.
    Check shipping before bidding. I have had many HP's and all jam and feed
    multiple pages. I worked for a gas company and we had them in our 500
    stores. All of them jammed often. Thats why I would look for another brand.

    "Bob Fallona" <bfallona@qwest.net> wrote in message news:<2mp0g8FpqgrmU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > I have an Ink Jet on USB and a Lexmark Optra R on port 1. I would keep the
    > printer as the cost of shipping and packing are a killer. Go to Ebay and
    > look for a laser. I like the Lexmarks and they have them large to small.
    > Check shipping before bidding. I have had many HP's and all jam and feed
    > multiple pages. I worked for a gas company and we had them in our 500
    > stores. All of them jammed often. Thats why I would look for another brand.

    You should be a bit more specific on "All of them jammed often". Which
    models are you talking about? Personally I had an LJII for many years
    without problems, recently a bad patch with (by then old) a couple of
    LJIII's which jammed (probably could have been fixed with the right
    parts, but cheaper to buy a new printer around here) and about 6 years
    with a 4L, and currently going strong with a 4M (1992 vintage) that I
    got for $50. Paper handling is the number-one must-be-perfect thing
    with a laser, as far as I'm concerned, which is why I never considered
    the 5L and 6L, even before they got their bad rep, the loose stack of
    paper on the top just was asking for trouble.

    gOn 28 Jul 2004 10:41:33 -0700, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:

    >You should be a bit more specific on "All of them jammed often". Which
    >models are you talking about?

    The only HP laser printer I'm aware of with choronic jaming problem
    are the 5L and 6L series. There was even a lawsuit on this matter.
    Just about all other HP Laserjet don't jam very often if at all and
    the problem usually occurs when the roller starts to get worn out.

    There is one possible way to cause excessive jamming problem even with
    new printer: wrong type of paper. Some really thin stock (ie
    typewriter paper) don't separate well and may jam easily. Really
    thick stock may be too thick and can cause jams.

    I think the previous poster is basing his entire experience on either
    the 5L/6L or cheap paper.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    On 28 Jul 2004 10:41:33 -0700, 7ibehx001@sneakemail.com (Alan) wrote:

    | Paper handling is the number-one must-be-perfect thing
    | with a laser, as far as I'm concerned, which is why I never considered
    | the 5L and 6L, even before they got their bad rep, the loose stack of
    | paper on the top just was asking for trouble.

    HP offered a free fix for that some time back. I got one and
    installed it. Haven't had a single paper problem with my trusty 5L
    since!

    Larc

Printers Laser Printer Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals