WinXP No Longer Recognizes My Sound Card

I'm running WinXP with SP2 on a Compaq mini-tower. Within the past week, some
kind of corruption must have set into the registry keys that control my
Creative Audigy 2ZS Sound Card.

On at least 3 start-ups recently, WinXP had to rediscover my sound card
under Device Manager. On two of those occasions, it warned me that the newly
discovered hardware might not work properly. The sound card continued to
work for several days more, however---until I suddenly lost all sound
capability.

Looking in the Device Manager, I found a new device icon for an undefined
"Multimedia Device Controller". By deleting this item and restarting, I
forced the Device Manager to recognize it once again as the Audigy Sound
Card. But there is a Code 10 error message ("The Device Will Not Start")
appearing in the Device Manager profile for the sound card.

I have the latest version of the driver software for this card. I can't
install it, however, because WinXP doesn't recognize that the card
exists---even though it still appears under Device Manager. It's obvious that
I need to fix something in the registry. But there are so many keys, I don't
know which ones to change.
6 answers Last reply
More about winxp longer recognizes sound card

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:01:01 -0700, Martin
    <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I'm running WinXP with SP2 on a Compaq mini-tower. Within the past week, some
    >kind of corruption must have set into the registry keys that control my
    >Creative Audigy 2ZS Sound Card.
    >
    >On at least 3 start-ups recently, WinXP had to rediscover my sound card
    >under Device Manager. On two of those occasions, it warned me that the newly
    >discovered hardware might not work properly. The sound card continued to
    >work for several days more, however---until I suddenly lost all sound
    >capability.
    >
    >Looking in the Device Manager, I found a new device icon for an undefined
    >"Multimedia Device Controller". By deleting this item and restarting, I
    >forced the Device Manager to recognize it once again as the Audigy Sound
    >Card. But there is a Code 10 error message ("The Device Will Not Start")
    >appearing in the Device Manager profile for the sound card.
    >
    >I have the latest version of the driver software for this card. I can't
    >install it, however, because WinXP doesn't recognize that the card
    >exists---even though it still appears under Device Manager. It's obvious that
    >I need to fix something in the registry. But there are so many keys, I don't
    >know which ones to change.

    In the device manager. Try rolling back your driver and don't let
    windows update download the new driver. I had to change automatic
    update to notify only. This way I can choose to hide the updates that
    I don't want. Each new version of the driver you will have to hide
    the update again. I had a problem with my modem driver. I use the
    feature modem on hold. I get notified of an incoming call. Then I
    disconnect. You may need to reinstall your original driver.

    Greg Ro

    The original driver is currently installed. There's nothing to roll back to.
    And I can't re-install the original driver (or install the latest driver)
    because WinXP doesn't acknowledge that there is a sound card.

    I have only two options: repair the registry or do a complete re-install of
    the OS. Is there any way to locate the defective registry keys?

    > In the device manager. Try rolling back your driver and don't let
    > windows update download the new driver. I had to change automatic
    > update to notify only. This way I can choose to hide the updates that
    > I don't want. Each new version of the driver you will have to hide
    > the update again. I had a problem with my modem driver. I use the
    > feature modem on hold. I get notified of an incoming call. Then I
    > disconnect. You may need to reinstall your original driver.
    >

    > Greg Ro

    Try the sound card in a different slot.
    Its allways possible sound card or mobo has a fault.

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:46:50 +0100, "DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote:

    >Try the sound card in a different slot.
    >Its allways possible sound card or mobo has a fault.
    >
    >"Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> The original driver is currently installed. There's nothing to roll back
    >to.
    >> And I can't re-install the original driver (or install the latest driver)
    >> because WinXP doesn't acknowledge that there is a sound card.
    >>
    >> I have only two options: repair the registry or do a complete re-install
    >of
    >> the OS. Is there any way to locate the defective registry keys?
    >>

    >> > In the device manager. Try rolling back your driver and don't let
    >> > windows update download the new driver. I had to change automatic
    >> > update to notify only. This way I can choose to hide the updates that
    >> > I don't want. Each new version of the driver you will have to hide
    >> > the update again. I had a problem with my modem driver. I use the
    >> > feature modem on hold. I get notified of an incoming call. Then I
    >> > disconnect. You may need to reinstall your original driver.
    >> >

    >> > Greg Ro

    If it not on onboard sound card. You will need to disable the
    on-board sound in the bios. Then xp should recognize it.

    Greg Ro

    If you have installed the driver, you can always "remove" them from
    Add/Remove Programs. If the driver install will not go thru, head oveer to
    forums.creative.com. The Audigy card are "rumored" to be sensitibve and the
    sound card's "prom" can get screwed up. Heard this for Audigy and Audigy 2
    card but not the ZS cards.

    --
    tigerlilly

Device Manager Sound Cards Windows XP