XP3200+ Factory-unlocked - possible?

Were any Athlon XP 3200+ chips released to market with the multiplier
unlocked, or was the lock instated before the 3200+ came out (or
concurrently)? Also, can anyone point me to an _authoritative_ explanation
of the bridge configuration for each chip?

I bought an OEM 3200+ chip awhile ago that caused me some significant
problems. Upon investigation, I concluded that the chip was a remarked 2500+
based on two facts:

- The L12 bridge configuration suggested that the stock bus speed is 166MHz
(the first bridge is open, whereas it seems that 200MHz bus chips should have
all four bridges closed)
- The multiplier was not locked.

As conclusive as this seemed at the time, I'm having second thoughts, for a
few reasons:

- After returning the chip and replacing it with another one (XP-M 2600+ this
time), I'm still having problems that appear to be motherboard-related, much
like the problems I had with the "remarked" 3200+. The "remarked" chip fried
the BIOS of my old A7N8X-Deluxe (reset doesn't work - I need to have the chip
completely reflashed), but I've heard of occasional problems with 200MHz FSB
Barton chips on that MoBo, even with the latest BIOS, so it's possible that I
was struck by that problem.
- The company I bought it from is a reputable one, mWave.com (Even AMD
expressed surprise when I said I bought what appeared to be a remarked chip
from mWave). They've been actively communicating with me, and although they
still haven't processed my refund, they have answered my emails, and most
recently answered an email asking for the refund - they answered within 24
hours and promise that the refund will be processed by Wednesday.
- The company claims that they've received and tested the chip without any
problems, and that AMD has been involved in the tests themselves. (but since
they're the ones who sold me the chip, the claim that AMD is working on the
case doesn't mean a whole lot when it's coming from the vendor, and not AMD)

That leads me to two possible conclusions:
- The remarked 2500+ chip can run just fine at 3200+ speeds, but my
motherboard-based problems got in the way, causing me to expose the fact that
this chip is remarked, when I probably would have never noticed if I didn't
have the motherboard problems.
- The chip is not re-marked.

And the possibility that the chip isn't remarked leads me to two questions
(first paragraph, but repeared here):
- Does the first L12 bridge being open really mean that this was factory set
for 166MHz FSB? I haven't been able to find anything to refute that "fact,"
but I can't find anything "official" (i.e. from AMD) that explains the L12
bridge configuration.
- Did any Athlon XP 3200+ chips come out before AMD started factory-locking
the multipliers? My chip didn't appear to be modified (see
<http://www.eharrishome.com/CPUPic1.jpg>), but I could change the multiplier
at will, and was not limited to the 11X multiplier that corresponds both with
the Athlon XP 2500+ and XP 3200+.

Simply put, do I owe MultiWave a big apology? All evidence pointed to a
remarked chip, but now I'm only 90% sure instead of 100% sure.

--
Erik Harris n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com
AIM: KngFuJoe http://www.eharrishome.com

The above email address is obfuscated to try to prevent SPAM.
Replace each dollar sign with an "e" for the correct address.

DaveyB

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:03:11 -0400, Erik Harris <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:

8< snip

>- Did any Athlon XP 3200+ chips come out before AMD started factory-locking
>the multipliers? My chip didn't appear to be modified (see
><http://www.eharrishome.com/CPUPic1.jpg>), but I could change the multiplier
>at will, and was not limited to the 11X multiplier that corresponds both with
>the Athlon XP 2500+ and XP 3200+.

On the subject of fake 3200+ CPUs I bought a 3200+ off eBay ( yes, i know! ) that forces my MB to
run it at 1.75v - I cannot set the vcore any lower in the BIOS. This thing should be getting
1.65v. This has me thinking it's a fake 3200+.

All the bridges on mine are exactly the same as yours.

About that L12 bridge - I have a genuine boxed AMD 3000+ (333FSB) and the L12 bridges are the same
configuration as our 3200+ cpus.

The only difference between our 3200+ Cpus and the real 3000+ is that
our L3 bridges are | | | | |
and the 3000 L3 is | | x | x

Hopefully someone will shed some light on what all the links do!

DaveyB

Ebay U like to be scamed don't you :)

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +0100, DaveyB <no@mail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:03:11 -0400, Erik Harris <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:
>
>8< snip
>
>>- Did any Athlon XP 3200+ chips come out before AMD started factory-locking
>>the multipliers? My chip didn't appear to be modified (see
>><http://www.eharrishome.com/CPUPic1.jpg>), but I could change the multiplier
>>at will, and was not limited to the 11X multiplier that corresponds both with
>>the Athlon XP 2500+ and XP 3200+.
>
>On the subject of fake 3200+ CPUs I bought a 3200+ off eBay ( yes, i know! ) that forces my MB to
>run it at 1.75v - I cannot set the vcore any lower in the BIOS. This thing should be getting
>1.65v. This has me thinking it's a fake 3200+.
>
>All the bridges on mine are exactly the same as yours.
>
>About that L12 bridge - I have a genuine boxed AMD 3000+ (333FSB) and the L12 bridges are the same
>configuration as our 3200+ cpus.
>
>The only difference between our 3200+ Cpus and the real 3000+ is that
>our L3 bridges are | | | | |
>and the 3000 L3 is | | x | x
>
>Hopefully someone will shed some light on what all the links do!
>
>DaveyB

HELLO NURSE.

"Orbital Defence" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> Ebay U like to be scamed don't you :)

U Dumb A**, if your going to change your name, might as well get rid of...
"HELLO NURSE." At the end of your posts. "OCZ Guy" And many other names.
LOL

Denny. ;-) :)

> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +0100, DaveyB <no@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:03:11 -0400, Erik Harris
>><n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote:
>>
>>8< snip
>>
>>>- Did any Athlon XP 3200+ chips come out before AMD started
>>>factory-locking
>>>the multipliers? My chip didn't appear to be modified (see
>>><http://www.eharrishome.com/CPUPic1.jpg>), but I could change the
>>>multiplier
>>>at will, and was not limited to the 11X multiplier that corresponds both
>>>with
>>>the Athlon XP 2500+ and XP 3200+.
>>
>>On the subject of fake 3200+ CPUs I bought a 3200+ off eBay ( yes, i
>>know! ) that forces my MB to
>>run it at 1.75v - I cannot set the vcore any lower in the BIOS. This thing
>>should be getting
>>1.65v. This has me thinking it's a fake 3200+.
>>
>>All the bridges on mine are exactly the same as yours.
>>
>>About that L12 bridge - I have a genuine boxed AMD 3000+ (333FSB) and the
>>L12 bridges are the same
>>configuration as our 3200+ cpus.
>>
>>The only difference between our 3200+ Cpus and the real 3000+ is that
>>our L3 bridges are | | | | |
>>and the 3000 L3 is | | x | x
>>
>>Hopefully someone will shed some light on what all the links do!
>>
>>DaveyB

DaveyB

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 20:42:11 +0100, DaveyB <no@mail.com> wrote:

>8< snip
>
>>- Did any Athlon XP 3200+ chips come out before AMD started factory-locking
>>the multipliers? My chip didn't appear to be modified (see
>><http://www.eharrishome.com/CPUPic1.jpg>), but I could change the multiplier
>>at will, and was not limited to the 11X multiplier that corresponds both with
>>the Athlon XP 2500+ and XP 3200+.
>
>On the subject of fake 3200+ CPUs I bought a 3200+ off eBay ( yes, i know! ) that forces my MB to
>run it at 1.75v - I cannot set the vcore any lower in the BIOS. This thing should be getting
>1.65v. This has me thinking it's a fake 3200+.
>
>All the bridges on mine are exactly the same as yours.
>
>About that L12 bridge - I have a genuine boxed AMD 3000+ (333FSB) and the L12 bridges are the same
>configuration as our 3200+ cpus.
>
>The only difference between our 3200+ Cpus and the real 3000+ is that
>our L3 bridges are | | | | |
>and the 3000 L3 is | | x | x
>
>Hopefully someone will shed some light on what all the links do!
>
>DaveyB

Ok, I have a better look at my 3200+ and found a few mods..

I've scanned the CPU and also used a 3D microscope to look at the bridges.

It looks like third link up on L11 has been sliced.

Full Pic: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200top.jpg
Closeup: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200_L11.jpg

Using the microscope thing I noticed some kind of paint joining two sets of pins on the underside
of the cpu.

Full Pic: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200bottom.jpg
Closeup: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200bottommod.jpg

The paint is well hidden under some tan colored coating, I didn't notice it until it was under the
microscope.

DaveyB

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:45:38 +0100, DaveyB <no@email.com> wrote:

>It looks like third link up on L11 has been sliced.

The first L12 bridge is also open, which I'm told indicates 166MHz FSB by
design (i.e. Athlon 2500+). Still haven't been able to find anything
authoritative to back that up, though.

>Using the microscope thing I noticed some kind of paint joining two sets of pins on the underside
>of the cpu.

I wish I had looked at the bottom of mine more closely before sending it
back. I have no idea if there were any mods done to the bottom of mine.
Yours was definitely modified/remarked. I'm still trying to find any
resources that can more conclusively tell me whether or not mine was.
MultiWave insists they're working with AMD to investigate the CPU they sold
me, and that so far, they don't have any reason to believe it's remarked, but
as good a reputation as MultiWave has overall, I'm having a hard time taking
what they tell me as the undisputable truth, since they're the ones who sold
me what appeared to be a remarked CPU (based on the L12 bridge and based on
the unlocked multiplier).

--

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:45:38 +0100, DaveyB wrote:

> Ok, I have a better look at my 3200+ and found a few mods..
>
> I've scanned the CPU and also used a 3D microscope to look at the bridges.
>
> It looks like third link up on L11 has been sliced.
>
> Full Pic: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200top.jpg
> Closeup: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200_L11.jpg
>
> Using the microscope thing I noticed some kind of paint joining two sets of pins on the underside
> of the cpu.
>
> Full Pic: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200bottom.jpg
> Closeup: http://www.btinternet.com/~sector101/cpu/3200bottommod.jpg
>
> The paint is well hidden under some tan colored coating, I didn't notice it until it was under the
> microscope.

It seems pretty obvious that these are remarked cpu's. I'd contact AMD
with all the facts, pictures, etc. and see if they can catch the people
remarking them. Provide them with enough info and maybe they'll reward you
with a new cpu. If I were them, I certainly would, if you still had all
the paperwork, emails, etc. from the purchase and was willing to testify.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:56:58 -0400, Erik Harris wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:45:38 +0100, DaveyB <no@email.com> wrote:
>
>>It looks like third link up on L11 has been sliced.
>
> The first L12 bridge is also open, which I'm told indicates 166MHz FSB by
> design (i.e. Athlon 2500+). Still haven't been able to find anything
> authoritative to back that up, though.

There were no 3200+ cpu's with a default 166MHz FSB.

>>Using the microscope thing I noticed some kind of paint joining two sets
>>of pins on the underside of the cpu.
>
> I wish I had looked at the bottom of mine more closely before sending it
> back. I have no idea if there were any mods done to the bottom of mine.
> Yours was definitely modified/remarked. I'm still trying to find any
> resources that can more conclusively tell me whether or not mine was.
> MultiWave insists they're working with AMD to investigate the CPU they
> sold me, and that so far, they don't have any reason to believe it's
> remarked, but as good a reputation as MultiWave has overall, I'm having
> a hard time taking what they tell me as the undisputable truth, since
> they're the ones who sold me what appeared to be a remarked CPU (based
> on the L12 bridge and based on the unlocked multiplier).

You should be able to comfirm your suspicions here.

http://fab51.com/index-e.html

Hi!

Just one question, how do they make the L2 cache on an 2500+ at same
size as 3200+ ??

The 3200+ looks like this

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
CPU Alias Barton
CPU Stepping A2
Instruction Set x86, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
Package Type 453 Pin PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 54.3 million
Process Technology 6Mi, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu
Die Size 101 mm2
Core Voltage 1.65 V
I/O Voltage 1.6 V
Typical Power 53.7 - 60.4 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 68.3 - 76.8 W (depending on clock speed)

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:27:42 +0200, Anders Nielsen wrote:

> Just one question, how do they make the L2 cache on an 2500+ at same
> size as 3200+ ??

They don't make them the same size. They are the same size, and for one
simple reason. The 2500+ and the 3200+ are exactly the same cpu. Same
core, same cache, just that the 3200+ is tested to run at those speeds
with 1.65v, and defualt configuration is set to 11x200MHz FSB.

> The 3200+ looks like this
>
> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+ CPU Alias Barton CPU
> Stepping A2

And except for clock speed and FSB, the 2500+ will too. It's 11x166.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:27:42 +0200, Anders Nielsen <Still@nomail.dk> wrote:

>Just one question, how do they make the L2 cache on an 2500+ at same
>size as 3200+ ??

Not sure I understand your question. The 2500+ (Barton) and 3200+ (Barton)
are the same chip. They're both Barton chips, they both have the same cache.
Furthermore, they both have the same multiplier. The only difference is that
the 3200+ was successfully tested to run at 11x200, and the 2500+ was
successfully tested to run at 11x166 - which does NOT mean it failed any test
to run at 11x200. It may mean that they had produced enough 3200+ chips in
that batch, and needed more 2500+ chips. Because of this, some less
reputable resellers re-label 2500+ chips as 3200+ chips. Even with the newer
multiplier-locked chips, this can be done because the multipliers are the
same.

The only difference, as far as I have been able to find out, is the L12
bridge. The configuration of that bridge set tells you what AMD intended the
bus speed to be (166MHz or 200MHz in the case of the 2500+ or 3200+)

Does that answer your question?

--

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:11:49 GMT, Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:56:58 -0400, Erik Harris wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:45:38 +0100, DaveyB <no@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>>It looks like third link up on L11 has been sliced.
>>
>> The first L12 bridge is also open, which I'm told indicates 166MHz FSB by
>> design (i.e. Athlon 2500+). Still haven't been able to find anything
>> authoritative to back that up, though.

>There were no 3200+ cpu's with a default 166MHz FSB.

I know that. I was looking for something "authoritative" that told me that
hte L12 configuration did indeed point to AMD's specified bus speed. My
"3200+" from MultiWave, which they still insist was legit, and claimed they
got AMD's help in testing after I returned it, tried to boot up at 11x200, as
a 3200+ should, but the first L12 bridge was cut. What little information I
was able to find told me that the L12 configuration meant the chip was
supposed to have a 166MHz bus - I wanted to confirm that. I've since found
some third party confirmation of that, but apparently there's nothing from
AMD that publicizes these bridge layouts.

>You should be able to comfirm your suspicions here.
>http://fab51.com/index-e.html

This is also the site that someone on one of the AMD forums pointed me to.
Thanks for your help - this does indeed confirm that I was right to begin
with, and that MultiWave sold me a modified CPU.

This also calls them into further question, because they claim to be testing
the chip in conjunction with AMD (after I sent it back for a full refund,
including shipping both ways). If they're testing with AMD's help, AMD
should be able to tell from one quick glance that this CPU was remarked. I
was prepared to believe that MultiWave was screwed by an unscrupulous
distributor, but I can't help suspect that they might not have been so
innocent, given the interactions I've had with them since the chip was
returned to them.