Windows behaves very badly with AOpen modem

I have an AOpen modem (model FM56-SVV) that has been behaving badly
under Windows XP since I got it. It would very frequently reboot my
machine in the middle of trying to send a fax.

I decided to try to fix the problem by completely reinstalling all of
the modem software (FaxTalk Communicator 4.5), and the modem driver
itself. But when I tried to remove the modem under Device Manager, my
system rebooted.

I then tried updating the driver, and rolling it back, both of which
result in a reboot.

It seems to me that XP and the FM56-SVV just don't play well together.
Can anyone suggest a way of solving this problema?

My system configuration:

Abit IC7-G Max2 motherboard
Maxtor 120GB sata drive
Audio on the motherboard
Aopen FM56-SVV modem
Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help you can offer.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows behaves badly aopen modem

    Assuming modem is internal - I did'nt look - tried another slot?
    Updated drivers/software from manu.site? NOT winupdate

    "R. Christian Call" <rccall@optionline.net> wrote in message
    > I have an AOpen modem (model FM56-SVV) that has been behaving badly
    > under Windows XP since I got it. It would very frequently reboot my
    > machine in the middle of trying to send a fax.
    >
    > I decided to try to fix the problem by completely reinstalling all of
    > the modem software (FaxTalk Communicator 4.5), and the modem driver
    > itself. But when I tried to remove the modem under Device Manager, my
    > system rebooted.
    >
    > I then tried updating the driver, and rolling it back, both of which
    > result in a reboot.
    >
    > It seems to me that XP and the FM56-SVV just don't play well together.
    > Can anyone suggest a way of solving this problema?
    >
    > My system configuration:
    >
    > Abit IC7-G Max2 motherboard
    > Maxtor 120GB sata drive
    > Audio on the motherboard
    > Aopen FM56-SVV modem
    > Windows XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can offer.

    I haven't tried another slot. I suppose it might be worth doing, but I
    wouldn't expect the behavior to change.

    I've tried updating the driver from AOpen's web site, but the same
    problem occurs: As soon as I try to run the update program, my screen
    goes blank and the machine reboots.

    Any thoughts on why *anything* would make WinXP Pro reboot like this?

    -- Chris

    In article <#HVNGE9oFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, dl@spoofmail says...

    --
    -- Chris

    R. Christian Call
    (Remove the first "i" to reply.)

    Well if its behaved badly since installed perhaps its faulty, has a dry
    connection in its circuits.
    Try another slot, and its correctly seated, if problems persist sounds DOA

    > I haven't tried another slot. I suppose it might be worth doing, but I
    > wouldn't expect the behavior to change.
    >
    > I've tried updating the driver from AOpen's web site, but the same
    > problem occurs: As soon as I try to run the update program, my screen
    > goes blank and the machine reboots.
    >
    > Any thoughts on why *anything* would make WinXP Pro reboot like this?
    >
    > -- Chris
    >
    > In article <#HVNGE9oFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, dl@spoofmail says...
    > > Assuming modem is internal - I did'nt look - tried another slot?
    > > Updated drivers/software from manu.site? NOT winupdate
    >
    > --
    > -- Chris
    >
    > R. Christian Call
    > (Remove the first "i" to reply.)