Windows behaves very badly with AOpen modem

I have an AOpen modem (model FM56-SVV) that has been behaving badly
under Windows XP since I got it. It would very frequently reboot my
machine in the middle of trying to send a fax.

I decided to try to fix the problem by completely reinstalling all of
the modem software (FaxTalk Communicator 4.5), and the modem driver
itself. But when I tried to remove the modem under Device Manager, my
system rebooted.

I then tried updating the driver, and rolling it back, both of which
result in a reboot.

It seems to me that XP and the FM56-SVV just don't play well together.
Can anyone suggest a way of solving this problema?

My system configuration:

Abit IC7-G Max2 motherboard
Maxtor 120GB sata drive
Audio on the motherboard
Aopen FM56-SVV modem
Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help you can offer.

dl

Assuming modem is internal - I did'nt look - tried another slot?
Updated drivers/software from manu.site? NOT winupdate

"R. Christian Call" <rccall@optionline.net> wrote in message
> I have an AOpen modem (model FM56-SVV) that has been behaving badly
> under Windows XP since I got it. It would very frequently reboot my
> machine in the middle of trying to send a fax.
>
> I decided to try to fix the problem by completely reinstalling all of
> the modem software (FaxTalk Communicator 4.5), and the modem driver
> itself. But when I tried to remove the modem under Device Manager, my
> system rebooted.
>
> I then tried updating the driver, and rolling it back, both of which
> result in a reboot.
>
> It seems to me that XP and the FM56-SVV just don't play well together.
> Can anyone suggest a way of solving this problema?
>
> My system configuration:
>
> Abit IC7-G Max2 motherboard
> Maxtor 120GB sata drive
> Audio on the motherboard
> Aopen FM56-SVV modem
> Windows XP Pro SP2
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

I haven't tried another slot. I suppose it might be worth doing, but I
wouldn't expect the behavior to change.

I've tried updating the driver from AOpen's web site, but the same
problem occurs: As soon as I try to run the update program, my screen
goes blank and the machine reboots.

Any thoughts on why *anything* would make WinXP Pro reboot like this?

-- Chris

In article <#HVNGE9oFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, dl@spoofmail says...

--
-- Chris

R. Christian Call
(Remove the first "i" to reply.)

dl

Well if its behaved badly since installed perhaps its faulty, has a dry
connection in its circuits.
Try another slot, and its correctly seated, if problems persist sounds DOA

> I haven't tried another slot. I suppose it might be worth doing, but I
> wouldn't expect the behavior to change.
>
> I've tried updating the driver from AOpen's web site, but the same
> problem occurs: As soon as I try to run the update program, my screen
> goes blank and the machine reboots.
>
> Any thoughts on why *anything* would make WinXP Pro reboot like this?
>
> -- Chris
>
> In article <#HVNGE9oFHA.420@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, dl@spoofmail says...
> > Assuming modem is internal - I did'nt look - tried another slot?
> > Updated drivers/software from manu.site? NOT winupdate
>
> --
> -- Chris
>
> R. Christian Call
> (Remove the first "i" to reply.)