Hi

I'm useless on hardware but I want to connect an external drive to my
computer which already has two HD's (one is drive and one is slave)

So the connection willl be via an USB 2 port.

In these circumstances, do I set the external HD to 'drive', 'slave' or
'cable select'.

It is not a boot drive and will contain docs and even a ghost copy of the
first HD but no O/S.

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message news:u70A1v9oFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I'm useless on hardware but I want to connect an external drive to my
> computer which already has two HD's (one is drive and one is slave)
>
> So the connection willl be via an USB 2 port.
>
> In these circumstances, do I set the external HD to 'drive', 'slave' or
> 'cable select'.

The ones I've seen, you set to "master".

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

anna

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm useless on hardware but I want to connect an external drive to my
> computer which already has two HD's (one is drive and one is slave)
>
> So the connection willl be via an USB 2 port.
>
> In these circumstances, do I set the external HD to 'drive', 'slave' or
> 'cable select'.
>
> It is not a boot drive and will contain docs and even a ghost copy of the
> first HD but no O/S.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave Neve

Dave:
In virtually every case I've come across working with a wide variety of USB
external hard drives, it simply didn't matter how one configured the HD.
Since the drive is working as a USB device, the master - slave - cable
select settings are (presumably) irrelevant. Having said this, at least two
users reported to me that their Western Digital drives had to be jumpered as
Single devices before they would operate as a USB external HD. This has
*not* been my experience with WD drives, but I thought I'd pass it on.
Anna