Power surge issues?

I have a Shuttle AK31 v3.1 motherboard. As of lately I have been having
some power surge issues or something of the sort. Meaning, when I do a
shutdown from Windows XP or a manual shutdown by pushing the power button on
the front of my case I still hear the fans pulsing at very low speeds and
lights are flashing (on motherboard, on front of case, on video card, etc).
The only way to stop the "pulsating" is to turn the power supply off
manually from behind. Now, I assumed this was a power supply issue and
others agreed with me on these boards so I went out and bought a brand new
Thermaltake Purepower 420 and installed it today. Well, the same thing
keeps happening. So, one by one I uninstalled every piece of harwdare I
could think of and powered up the CPU after each hardware removal (RAM,
video card, net cards, sound card, etc) and the exact same thing occurs
When the power is techincally turned off, the system still "pulsates" with
the low RPM on the fans and the lights flashing and making a noise with each
pulsation. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Can this be some kind of sleep mode that somehow got enabled in the
BIOS? Is this a motherboard issue? I just put in a Nvidia 6800 a few days
ago and if it somehow gets fried I'm going to be very very unhappy (Yes, the
issue started way before I put in the new video card). Any help would be
greatly appreciated!!

Ed

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:52:09 -0600, "Don Tulloch"
<dtulloch@nospampleasecableone.net> wrote:

>I have a Shuttle AK31 v3.1 motherboard. As of lately I have been having
>some power surge issues or something of the sort. Meaning, when I do a
>shutdown from Windows XP or a manual shutdown by pushing the power button on
>the front of my case I still hear the fans pulsing at very low speeds and
>lights are flashing (on motherboard, on front of case, on video card, etc).
>The only way to stop the "pulsating" is to turn the power supply off
>manually from behind. Now, I assumed this was a power supply issue and
>others agreed with me on these boards so I went out and bought a brand new
>Thermaltake Purepower 420 and installed it today. Well, the same thing
>keeps happening. So, one by one I uninstalled every piece of harwdare I
>could think of and powered up the CPU after each hardware removal (RAM,
>video card, net cards, sound card, etc) and the exact same thing occurs
>When the power is techincally turned off, the system still "pulsates" with
>the low RPM on the fans and the lights flashing and making a noise with each
>pulsation. Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> Can this be some kind of sleep mode that somehow got enabled in the
>BIOS? Is this a motherboard issue? I just put in a Nvidia 6800 a few days
>ago and if it somehow gets fried I'm going to be very very unhappy (Yes, the
>issue started way before I put in the new video card). Any help would be
>greatly appreciated!!

A ATX PSU is basically in standby mode when the PC is shutdown, the mobo
basically tells the PSU when to turn on off, so I don't see how the PSU
would be at fault in the first place, I'd say it's mobo problem.

The sleep modes (blank screen, HDD sleep) in the BIOS don't do Windows.
Boot up with a DOS or Linux boot disc, and you should see them work
there.

Ed

The mistake was that you tried fixing things before doing the
absolutely essential first step - collect facts. This is why any
minimally trained repairman has a 3.5 digit multimeter that would have
reported in seconds whether power supply was an issue.

Is system even wired correctly? Get the meter. Follow those
already cited diagnostic procedures at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa or http://tinyurl.com/2t69q