USB hub

I am trying to install a Belkin 4 port USB2 hub on my computer unfortunately
I get the install new hardware wizard up which asks for the location of the
drivers for the device these of course cannot be found. I have pointed the
wizard to the system 32 file, and I have also tried my origional software
disk, windows update the Belkin web site. I have also un-installed and
reinstalled all my USB2 devices, all to no avail. I am left with is the
yellow question mark and the message "no drivers installed for this device"
I am running a PB imedia 5095 sn:025709220100, windows xp sp2. I have scanned
this fourm and the pb user fourm for an answer with no success. can anyone
point me to the drivers. thank you for any help --
Jack Allen
14 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Jack,
    A few things you can try;
    Install the card in a different pci slot.
    Update bios & chipset drivers for your computer.
    Take the card back for replacement.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Sorry Treeman I have kind of misled you with my information this device is
    not a card to fit into a pci slot it is a stand alone hub that plugs into a
    usb port to give a daisy chain type set up thus making one usb plug into
    four. I am pluging into a usb2 socket
    --
    Jack Allen

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Jack,
    > A few things you can try;
    > Install the card in a different pci slot.
    > Update bios & chipset drivers for your computer.
    > Take the card back for replacement.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    if you have only one usb port, then you are a bit stuffed. If the port is
    detecting the hub but not the peripherals then there is little more you can
    do exept take the hub back and try another one. Its fairly common place this
    USB inability to work.

    If the port is not detecting the hub, then taht is bad also as XP has the
    neccessary drivers to make it work ..... something you may want to ask
    yourself .... is you XP a dodgy copy that is probably 4th hand and badly
    burnt or do you have a proper copy that is cool! Dodgy copies do have some
    strange habits and they make life on the computer front a pain in the arse!

    Hope that was some help, good luck.

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Sorry Treeman I have kind of misled you with my information this device is
    > not a card to fit into a pci slot it is a stand alone hub that plugs into a
    > usb port to give a daisy chain type set up thus making one usb plug into
    > four. I am pluging into a usb2 socket
    > --
    > Jack Allen
    >

    > "Treeman" wrote:
    >

    > > Jack,
    > > A few things you can try;
    > > Install the card in a different pci slot.
    > > Update bios & chipset drivers for your computer.
    > > Take the card back for replacement.
    > > Best,
    > > Treeman
    > >

    > > --
    > > Treeman

    > > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260
    > > View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870991649

    The computer which I purchased new from pc world came with 4 usb ports and
    the copy of xp came with it so i believe it is cosher thus I have no problems
    with the actual machine or the software this device should have just plugged
    in without trouble but with so many of these bits and bobs the gain is not
    worth the pain--
    Jack Allen

    Jack wrote:
    > I am trying to install a Belkin 4 port USB2 hub on my computer unfortunately
    > I get the install new hardware wizard up which asks for the location of the
    > drivers for the device these of course cannot be found. I have pointed the
    > wizard to the system 32 file, and I have also tried my origional software
    > disk, windows update the Belkin web site. I have also un-installed and
    > reinstalled all my USB2 devices, all to no avail. I am left with is the
    > yellow question mark and the message "no drivers installed for this device"
    > I am running a PB imedia 5095 sn:025709220100, windows xp sp2. I have scanned
    > this fourm and the pb user fourm for an answer with no success. can anyone
    > point me to the drivers. thank you for any help --
    > Jack Allen

    Just checking...but IIRC, these Belkin hubs needs to be
    powered. Is the USB hub running off its own power supply?
    Otherwise, it might be identified as simply new hardware.

    A short answer is yes it has it's own power supply which I am using. The
    Belkin manual say that the power supply is optional but that only two out of
    the four ports will work without it. I am off to try Yves suggestion will
    report back soon
    --
    Jack Allen

    "Ghostrider" wrote:

    > Jack wrote:
    > > I am trying to install a Belkin 4 port USB2 hub on my computer unfortunately
    > > I get the install new hardware wizard up which asks for the location of the
    > > drivers for the device these of course cannot be found. I have pointed the
    > > wizard to the system 32 file, and I have also tried my origional software
    > > disk, windows update the Belkin web site. I have also un-installed and
    > > reinstalled all my USB2 devices, all to no avail. I am left with is the
    > > yellow question mark and the message "no drivers installed for this device"
    > > I am running a PB imedia 5095 sn:025709220100, windows xp sp2. I have scanned
    > > this fourm and the pb user fourm for an answer with no success. can anyone
    > > point me to the drivers. thank you for any help --
    > > Jack Allen
    >

    > Just checking...but IIRC, these Belkin hubs needs to be
    > powered. Is the USB hub running off its own power supply?
    > Otherwise, it might be identified as simply new hardware.

    Do you have an "enhanced" USB controller listed in Device Manager?

    You may have to reset the complete USB drivers in XP. Disconnect every USB
    devices, including hubs, for the PC. In Device Manager, uninstall
    everything in the USB section and reboot. XP should re-detect all the USB
    controllers, root hubs and ports. Then, connect the Belkin hub and it
    should work,

    USB hubs (USB 1, 1.0, 1.1, 2.0) do not have separate drivers, normally.

    "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to install a Belkin 4 port USB2 hub on my computer
    >unfortunately
    > I get the install new hardware wizard up which asks for the location of
    > the
    > drivers for the device these of course cannot be found. I have pointed the
    > wizard to the system 32 file, and I have also tried my origional software
    > disk, windows update the Belkin web site. I have also un-installed and
    > reinstalled all my USB2 devices, all to no avail. I am left with is the
    > yellow question mark and the message "no drivers installed for this
    > device"
    > I am running a PB imedia 5095 sn:025709220100, windows xp sp2. I have
    > scanned
    > this fourm and the pb user fourm for an answer with no success. can
    > anyone
    > point me to the drivers. thank you for any help --
    > Jack Allen

    I followed the instructions as supplied by Yves and ended up with a total
    disaster in that I compleatly lost all reference to USB of any kind on my
    system at this point I tried system restore which did not work after trying
    several restore points and several bottles of hob gobblin I decided to go in
    search of the drivers these I found accross many different folders on my
    system I have only now got my modem reconnected as it is also usb. but the
    belkin device still will not work and still asks for drivers, brings to mind
    a Stephan King Novel that involved a toy monkey and a set of symbols, it is
    now 00:30 gmt and I am going to bed but I am still asking for help, so if
    anyone has any idea's let me know . might have another Hob goblin before bed
    or maybe two

    --
    Jack Allen

    "Jack" wrote:

    > A short answer is yes it has it's own power supply which I am using. The
    > Belkin manual say that the power supply is optional but that only two out of
    > the four ports will work without it. I am off to try Yves suggestion will
    > report back soon
    > --
    > Jack Allen
    >

    > "Ghostrider" wrote:
    >

    > > Jack wrote:
    > > > I am trying to install a Belkin 4 port USB2 hub on my computer unfortunately
    > > > I get the install new hardware wizard up which asks for the location of the
    > > > drivers for the device these of course cannot be found. I have pointed the
    > > > wizard to the system 32 file, and I have also tried my origional software
    > > > disk, windows update the Belkin web site. I have also un-installed and
    > > > reinstalled all my USB2 devices, all to no avail. I am left with is the
    > > > yellow question mark and the message "no drivers installed for this device"
    > > > I am running a PB imedia 5095 sn:025709220100, windows xp sp2. I have scanned
    > > > this fourm and the pb user fourm for an answer with no success. can anyone
    > > > point me to the drivers. thank you for any help --
    > > > Jack Allen
    > >

    > > Just checking...but IIRC, these Belkin hubs needs to be
    > > powered. Is the USB hub running off its own power supply?
    > > Otherwise, it might be identified as simply new hardware.

    Jack,
    I can give you the generic links to the MS explanation of USB
    problems;
    'General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP'
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575)

    'USB port may stop working after removing or inserting USB device'
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817900)

    'Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 does not detect your new USB device'
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314634)

    'FIX: Fast swap of USB devices may cause USB host controller to stop
    functioning in Windows XP'
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816843)

    The problem with that is you have to be the one to ferret out what
    works, and what doesn't work for you. And it may well be that this
    particular hub just doesn't work. Can you try the hub on another XP
    computer? Do you get the same results? The only problem there is, if it
    works on another computer and not yours, your back to square one. If you
    plug the device into a friends computer, and it frys his/her USB
    controller also . . . well.
    I won't be the one to tell you what actions to take, that's pretty much
    up to each individual.
    I just hope that maybe I pointed you in the right direction, and that
    you'll get it worked out.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    I have been searching across my system for drivers for all my usb kit. I
    typed usb into the search page and then listed the properties to find where a
    file resided in memory. I then pointed the wizard at this file. if it
    accepted this it would then ask for other files by name, which I searched for
    and supplied to the wizard and it duly installed all the items. I had to go
    through this procedure 12 times to get everything back in. Having got every
    thing back I then plugged the hub back into the socket and in true xp
    fashion it loaded up first time. now I may be wrong but I blame sp2 for this
    in that most of my driver files resided in three different folders. Also
    firms like Belkin sell there products with a minimum information plug it in
    and windows will take of it, Belkin can then forget about it and count up the
    profits. only some times it is not that simple and I feel that any company
    that sells computer peripherals should at least list the file names of any
    associated software required to make it work. It only now remains for me to
    thank each and every one of you who bothered to answer my cry for help,
    without people like you who are prepared to share your time and expertise
    people like me would run screaming into the night or drink more hobgoblin
    than is good for them, thank you
    --
    Jack Allen

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Jack,
    > I can give you the generic links to the MS explanation of USB
    > problems;
    > 'General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP'
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575)
    >
    > 'USB port may stop working after removing or inserting USB device'
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817900)
    >
    > 'Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 does not detect your new USB device'
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314634)
    >
    > 'FIX: Fast swap of USB devices may cause USB host controller to stop
    > functioning in Windows XP'
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816843)
    >
    > The problem with that is you have to be the one to ferret out what
    > works, and what doesn't work for you. And it may well be that this
    > particular hub just doesn't work. Can you try the hub on another XP
    > computer? Do you get the same results? The only problem there is, if it
    > works on another computer and not yours, your back to square one. If you
    > plug the device into a friends computer, and it frys his/her USB
    > controller also . . . well.
    > I won't be the one to tell you what actions to take, that's pretty much
    > up to each individual.
    > I just hope that maybe I pointed you in the right direction, and that
    > you'll get it worked out.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    I am using a Belkin 4 port hub (and I think the Belkin hub sold in Australia
    is the same the one sold in the US) and had no trouble installing it and it
    doesn't need drivers. The only thing I noticed is that when I plug my USB
    external drive into the hub I get the message that the drive can go faster
    if plugged into a USB port. When I plug the USB disc directly into the
    ports on my USB PCI card I do not get the message and the disc does operate
    noticeably faster. I am not sure how the Belkin hub can operate slower than
    the parent USB PCI card but the disc does operate noticeably slower on the
    Belkin Hub. The package the hub came in mentioned it would operate at USB
    1.1 or 2.0 depending on the speed of the parent USB port, as my parent USB
    port is USB 2.0 the hub should operate at that speed or am I missing
    something?

    Cheers

    Rod Gayford

    >I followed the instructions as supplied by Yves and ended up with a total
    > disaster in that I compleatly lost all reference to USB of any kind on my
    > system at this point I tried system restore which did not work after
    > trying
    > several restore points and several bottles of hob gobblin I decided to go
    > in
    > search of the drivers these I found accross many different folders on my
    > system I have only now got my modem reconnected as it is also usb. but the
    > belkin device still will not work and still asks for drivers, brings to
    > mind
    > a Stephan King Novel that involved a toy monkey and a set of symbols, it
    > is
    > now 00:30 gmt and I am going to bed but I am still asking for help, so if
    > anyone has any idea's let me know . might have another Hob goblin before
    > bed
    > or maybe two
    >
    > --
    > Jack Allen
    >

    > "Jack" wrote:
    >
    >> A short answer is yes it has it's own power supply which I am using. The
    >> Belkin manual say that the power supply is optional but that only two out
    >> of
    >> the four ports will work without it. I am off to try Yves suggestion will
    >> report back soon
    >> --
    >> Jack Allen

    >> > Just checking...but IIRC, these Belkin hubs needs to be
    >> > powered. Is the USB hub running off its own power supply?
    >> > Otherwise, it might be identified as simply new hardware.

    Hi Jack,
    Sorry you had to go through the royal pain that you did.
    But if I hear you right, the hub is finally working.
    FYI, the same problems you mentioned holds true for other busses
    (firewire) and external devices.
    The manufacturers blame MS & MS blames the manufacturers, even though
    the box has the XP compatable logo on it, it may not work.
    So I feel there is plenty of blame to go around. For Microsoft's part
    in this debacle, a compatability scanning application should have been
    released first.
    You run it, and it tells you what needs to be updated for SP2 to be
    installed sucessfully. (this could have even included a spyware
    checking utility)
    But to just dump SP2 on the end users computer, then have them figure
    out why they can't (_fill_in_the_blank_) I feel was wrong.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Rod Gayford wrote:

    > I am using a Belkin 4 port hub (and I think the Belkin hub sold in Australia
    > is the same the one sold in the US) and had no trouble installing it and it
    > doesn't need drivers. The only thing I noticed is that when I plug my USB
    > external drive into the hub I get the message that the drive can go faster
    > if plugged into a USB port. When I plug the USB disc directly into the
    > ports on my USB PCI card I do not get the message and the disc does operate
    > noticeably faster. I am not sure how the Belkin hub can operate slower than
    > the parent USB PCI card but the disc does operate noticeably slower on the
    > Belkin Hub. The package the hub came in mentioned it would operate at USB
    > 1.1 or 2.0 depending on the speed of the parent USB port, as my parent USB
    > port is USB 2.0 the hub should operate at that speed or am I missing
    > something?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Rod Gayford

    Do you have other devices connected to the hub?

    Hubs may be more or less sophisticated. A simple hub may run all the
    ports at the speed of the slowest device while others will support
    a mix of devices at the native speed.

    --
    George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi all

    The Belkin Hub doesn't run at USB 2.00 speed because I found out its not a
    USB 2.00. Doh!

    Cheers
    Rod Gayford

    "George N. White III" <gwhite@cwmannwn.nowhere> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Rod Gayford wrote:
    >

    >> I am using a Belkin 4 port hub (and I think the Belkin hub sold in
    >> Australia
    >> is the same the one sold in the US) and had no trouble installing it and
    >> it
    >> doesn't need drivers. The only thing I noticed is that when I plug my USB
    >> external drive into the hub I get the message that the drive can go
    >> faster
    >> if plugged into a USB port. When I plug the USB disc directly into the
    >> ports on my USB PCI card I do not get the message and the disc does
    >> operate
    >> noticeably faster. I am not sure how the Belkin hub can operate slower
    >> than
    >> the parent USB PCI card but the disc does operate noticeably slower on
    >> the
    >> Belkin Hub. The package the hub came in mentioned it would operate at
    >> USB
    >> 1.1 or 2.0 depending on the speed of the parent USB port, as my parent
    >> USB
    >> port is USB 2.0 the hub should operate at that speed or am I missing
    >> something?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Rod Gayford
    >
    > Do you have other devices connected to the hub?
    >
    > Hubs may be more or less sophisticated. A simple hub may run all the
    > ports at the speed of the slowest device while others will support
    > a mix of devices at the native speed.
    >
    > --
    > George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

Windows XP