Hard disk failing after installing SP2?

Hello, I have Windows XP Pro installed on my 2-year-old 80 GB Western Digital
hard drive. I recently upgraded from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. Today,
I checked event viewer and found this warning:

"The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted
that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
drive. A failure may be imminent."--Event ID: 52

and also this warning:

"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
operation."--Event ID: 51

Is my hard drive really failing after just 2 years or is this mis-reported?
Is it something to do with having installed Service Pack 2?

At any rate, I'm backing files up now, but would appreciate any advice as to
what to do next, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

System specs: Athlon 1333, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200
4 answers Last reply
More about hard disk failing installing

    Chris wrote:

    > Hello, I have Windows XP Pro installed on my 2-year-old 80 GB Western
    > Digital hard drive. I recently upgraded from Service Pack 1 to Service
    > Pack 2. Today, I checked event viewer and found this warning:
    >
    > "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has
    > predicted
    > that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your
    > hard disk
    > drive. A failure may be imminent."--Event ID: 52
    >
    > and also this warning:
    >
    > "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
    > operation."--Event ID: 51
    >
    > Is my hard drive really failing after just 2 years or is this
    > mis-reported? Is it something to do with having installed Service Pack
    > 2?
    >
    > At any rate, I'm backing files up now, but would appreciate any advice
    > as to what to do next, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > System specs: Athlon 1333, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200

    The best way to find out the health of your hard drive is to run a
    diagnostic utility from the hard drive mftr.'s website. Download the
    file to create either a bootable floppy or cd. Boot with the media and
    do a thorough test. If the hard drive has any physical errors, replace
    it. If the hard drive doesn't have physical errors but shows a problem
    with the file system, do a Chkdsk /r.

    How to use Chkdsk:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    This is not a misreporting because there is an actual, serious i/o error.
    Hopefully you already had the time to back up valuable data before posting
    your question.

    --PA

    "Chris" wrote:
    > Hello, I have Windows XP Pro installed on my 2-year-old 80 GB Western Digital
    > hard drive. I recently upgraded from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. Today,
    > I checked event viewer and found this warning:
    >
    > "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted
    > that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
    > drive. A failure may be imminent."--Event ID: 52
    >
    > and also this warning:
    >
    > "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
    > operation."--Event ID: 51
    >
    > Is my hard drive really failing after just 2 years or is this mis-reported?
    > Is it something to do with having installed Service Pack 2?
    >
    > At any rate, I'm backing files up now, but would appreciate any advice as to
    > what to do next, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > System specs: Athlon 1333, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200

    Sounds like the hard drive have the intenal diagnostic (know as S.M.A.R.T.)
    telling you about the immeniate failure of the hard drive. This does not
    have anything to do with XP , SP1 or SP2. You should follow the
    recommendations and BACK it up.

    Hard drives can fail for any numerious reasons. Check with Western Digitial
    so as to see if it is still under warranty.

    > Hello, I have Windows XP Pro installed on my 2-year-old 80 GB Western
    > Digital
    > hard drive. I recently upgraded from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2.
    > Today,
    > I checked event viewer and found this warning:
    >
    > "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted
    > that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard
    > disk
    > drive. A failure may be imminent."--Event ID: 52
    >
    > and also this warning:
    >
    > "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
    > operation."--Event ID: 51
    >
    > Is my hard drive really failing after just 2 years or is this
    > mis-reported?
    > Is it something to do with having installed Service Pack 2?
    >
    > At any rate, I'm backing files up now, but would appreciate any advice as
    > what to do next, etc.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > System specs: Athlon 1333, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200

    Thanks, I've pretty much backed up the important stuff. Luckilly, I think the
    drive may still be under warranty after looking at the manufacturer site.
    I've also noticed two aditional errors/warnings in my event viewer, now. I'm
    assuming they're related, but here they are:

    Atapi -- "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the
    timeout period."
    --Event ID: 9

    and this : "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block." -- Event ID: 7

    There's also always been an error due to an acpi incompatibility, and
    another recent one saying the clock can't syncronize (not a big deal).

    The event viewer actually has several hours worth of atapi and hard drive
    errors from during the same time frame that I was running a virus scan. So, I
    was hoping there was some other explanation, but it looks pretty much like my
    hard drive actually is going.

    Thanks for the help, everyone. Now I can focus on replacing the drive.

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > This is not a misreporting because there is an actual, serious i/o error.
    > Hopefully you already had the time to back up valuable data before posting
    > your question.
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > "Chris" wrote:
    > > Hello, I have Windows XP Pro installed on my 2-year-old 80 GB Western Digital
    > > hard drive. I recently upgraded from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. Today,
    > > I checked event viewer and found this warning:
    > >
    > > "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted
    > > that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk
    > > drive. A failure may be imminent."--Event ID: 52
    > >
    > > and also this warning:
    > >
    > > "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
    > > operation."--Event ID: 51
    > >
    > > Is my hard drive really failing after just 2 years or is this mis-reported?
    > > Is it something to do with having installed Service Pack 2?
    > >
    > > At any rate, I'm backing files up now, but would appreciate any advice as to
    > > what to do next, etc.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > System specs: Athlon 1333, 512 MB PC133 SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200

Hard Drives Devices Windows XP