WinXP Home Edition take advantage of Athlon X2 processor?

Hi all,
I recently upgraded to an Athlon X2 3800+ dual-core processor. I am
currently running WinXP Home Edition with SP2 and all patches. How can I be
assured that WinXP Home is taking advantage of the dual-cores? Task Manager
does show 2 graphs under CPU and the My Computer Properties does "see" the
new processor, but I was thinking the computer would perform much faster
(opening Windows Explorer, launching Photoshop, etc. etc.)

Would upgrading to WinXP Pro. gain me anything?

Thanks much!
Brian
3 answers Last reply
More about winxp home edition advantage athlon processor

    "Brian" wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I recently upgraded to an Athlon X2 3800+ dual-core processor. I am
    > currently running WinXP Home Edition with SP2 and all patches. How can I be
    > assured that WinXP Home is taking advantage of the dual-cores? Task Manager
    > does show 2 graphs under CPU and the My Computer Properties does "see" the
    > new processor, but I was thinking the computer would perform much faster
    > (opening Windows Explorer, launching Photoshop, etc. etc.)

    The actions you've mentioned don't benefit from parallel execution too much.
    Suppose you are a poor Bedouin with just two wifes.
    Can you have a baby in 4.5 months?
    No, you still need 9 months - but then you get two babies.

    > Would upgrading to WinXP Pro. gain me anything?

    Pro is definitely better than Home edition.
    Then you'd be a well doing Bedouin, with a herd of camels,
    and license for two more wifes :)

    > Thanks much!
    > Brian

    --PA

    XP will only take advantage if the software you are using (besides XP) is
    "dual processor" aware, which most as still not.

    "Brian" <btomasie@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I recently upgraded to an Athlon X2 3800+ dual-core processor. I am
    > currently running WinXP Home Edition with SP2 and all patches. How can I
    > be
    > assured that WinXP Home is taking advantage of the dual-cores? Task
    > Manager
    > does show 2 graphs under CPU and the My Computer Properties does "see" the
    > new processor, but I was thinking the computer would perform much faster
    > (opening Windows Explorer, launching Photoshop, etc. etc.)
    >
    > Would upgrading to WinXP Pro. gain me anything?
    >
    > Thanks much!
    > Brian

    Only XP Pro supports SMP and can take advantage of multiple or dual core
    processors. Your HAL would also need to be upgraded to a multiprocessor HAL.
    For any apps to take advantage of both processors they would need to be
    multithreaded. Processor Affinity can then be managed through task manager.

    Brian P.
    A+, Network+, MCP

    "Brian" <btomasie@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I recently upgraded to an Athlon X2 3800+ dual-core processor. I am
    > currently running WinXP Home Edition with SP2 and all patches. How can I
    > be
    > assured that WinXP Home is taking advantage of the dual-cores? Task
    > Manager
    > does show 2 graphs under CPU and the My Computer Properties does "see" the
    > new processor, but I was thinking the computer would perform much faster
    > (opening Windows Explorer, launching Photoshop, etc. etc.)
    >
    > Would upgrading to WinXP Pro. gain me anything?
    >
    > Thanks much!
    > Brian

Computers Processors Windows XP