install PCMCIA smart card reader driver problem

Hi

i have compaq lap top Model: EVOn1000v , in my company network

few days ago i tried to install a PCMCIA smart card reader, as a first step
of bulding a VPN connection , but after all my attempts its still give code
10 error in the device manager
although i did all the steps of troubleshooting this problem ( contact the
Card supplier and download the driver , contact even Compaq technical support
)

lastely i found this article on Microsoft web sit

but after i installed all the needed updates ( ServicePack2 ) i still have
the problem

so please if any body can help me to solve that problem i'll Appreciate

Thanks

Maged N. Roshdy
3 answers Last reply
More about install pcmcia smart card reader driver problem

    If you are absolutely sure that you already have the latest driver for
    the reader, you may want to check if there are any updated drivers for
    your PCMCIA hardware. Oh, that reminds me: would your reader be a
    CARDBUS device (i.e. 32-bit) device? PCMCIA is 16-bit technology, so if
    your reader is CARDBUS, you may want to make sure that your PCMCIA is
    in fact able to handle such.

    yes its 32 now what should i do

    PS: i am sure that i have the latest driver and latest Windows updates

    Maged N. Roshdy wrote:
    > yes its 32 now what should i do
    >
    > PS: i am sure that i have the latest driver and latest Windows updates

    My point was that your laptop PCMCIA may not be a 32 bit device,
    because PCMCIA, by definition, is 16-bit. So if your reader is a
    CARDBUS device (that is, 32-bit), it probably will not work in a PCMCIA
    slot. And I'm afraid I have no idea as to how to make it work. My GUESS
    is that it cannot be done.

    Card readers are not very expensive these days. I see that your laptop
    has USB2 ports, so perhaps you can exchange your Cardbus reader to a
    USB2 version.

    Good luck.

    > "bxf" wrote:
    >
    > > If you are absolutely sure that you already have the latest driver for
    > > the reader, you may want to check if there are any updated drivers for
    > > your PCMCIA hardware. Oh, that reminds me: would your reader be a
    > > CARDBUS device (i.e. 32-bit) device? PCMCIA is 16-bit technology, so if
    > > your reader is CARDBUS, you may want to make sure that your PCMCIA is
    > > in fact able to handle such.

PCMCIA Microsoft Windows XP