I am trying to replace an existing 80gb hard drive which is C:
bootable, with a 160gb drive. Using Ghost 9, I copied the old drive,
the MBR and set the new drive's primary partition active. However, I
can't assign the new drive as C: obviously, since it is in the
system with the old C: drive. When I switch drives, the new drive
boots but no GUI and it logs off. It appears that it may not boot
because it is not assigned as the C: drive.

There must be a way to get around this problem? Any thoughts? Thanks

You've confused me.

Ghost the 80 gig to the 160 gig. Put the 160 gig in, and boot. I don't
understand why you're changing the partition/drive letter.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

When I ghost the 80gb to the 160gb it won't boot. I will try again.
Thanks.
--

"Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
> You've confused me.
>
> Ghost the 80 gig to the 160 gig. Put the 160 gig in, and boot. I
> don't understand why you're changing the partition/drive letter.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

Hi,

........When I ghost the 80gb to the 160gb it won't boot. I will try again.

Are you using Ghosts Advanced/Clone option?

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

I'm using Ghost 9 which is the former PowerQuest Drive Image. The
only option is to copy. When you want to copy a boot volume, you
check copy MBR and make the partition active.

The copy boots but never as far as the GUI. I am going to try to
restore from a backup and find out if that works. It has worked in
the past.

Thanks for the reply
--

"PA20Pilot" <PA20Pilot@faa.gov> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> .......When I ghost the 80gb to the 160gb it won't boot. I will
> try again.
>
> Are you using Ghosts Advanced/Clone option?
>
> ---==X={}=X==---
>

> Jim Self
> AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
> http://avanimation.avsupport.com
>
> Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
> http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm
>
> Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
> Technical Counselor

The problem is more likely that the 160Gb hard drive is not set as Master or
the two hard drives are in the PC when you finish the copy.

1) Set the old 80GB as Master , new 160GB as Slave.
2) Ghost 80GB to 160GB.
3) Shutdown and power off the PC
4) Disconnect the 80GB and reconfigure the 160GB as Master.
5) Boot
If the system still does not boot, you may have to do a repair
re-install.

"glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Ghost 9 which is the former PowerQuest Drive Image. The only
> option is to copy. When you want to copy a boot volume, you check copy MBR
> and make the partition active.
>
> The copy boots but never as far as the GUI. I am going to try to restore
> from a backup and find out if that works. It has worked in the past.
>
> Thanks for the reply
> --
>
> "PA20Pilot" <PA20Pilot@faa.gov> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> .......When I ghost the 80gb to the 160gb it won't boot. I will try
>> again.
>>
>> Are you using Ghosts Advanced/Clone option?
>>
>> ---==X={}=X==---
>>

>> Jim Self
>> AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
>> http://avanimation.avsupport.com
>>
>> Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
>> http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm
>>
>> Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
>> Technical Counselor

Problem solved - you can't copy the MBR from drives of different
sizes. Works fine if I leave the MBR alone, copy the old drive and
mark the new drive active. The two hard drives have to be in the PC
to copy to the new drive with an arbitrary drive letter. When the
old drive is removed and the new drive is installed as the first
drive master, Windows reassigns it the letter C: and all works fine.

glamart wrote:
> Problem solved - you can't copy the MBR from drives of different
> sizes. Works fine if I leave the MBR alone, copy the old drive and
> mark the new drive active. The two hard drives have to be in the PC
> to copy to the new drive with an arbitrary drive letter. When the
> old drive is removed and the new drive is installed as the first
> drive master, Windows reassigns it the letter C: and all works fine.
> --

I used Ghost to clone a dying 60 GB hard drive to a 120 GB drive and
only had to go into Safe Mode the first time. Since then it has worked
properly so I don't think the MBR was the problem.

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>
>>The problem is more likely that the 160Gb hard drive is not set as
>>Master or the two hard drives are in the PC when you finish the
>>copy.
>>
>>1) Set the old 80GB as Master , new 160GB as Slave.
>>2) Ghost 80GB to 160GB.
>>3) Shutdown and power off the PC
>>4) Disconnect the 80GB and reconfigure the 160GB as Master.
>>5) Boot
>> If the system still does not boot, you may have to do a
>>repair re-install.
>>

>>"glamart" <glamartNS@NScomcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm using Ghost 9 which is the former PowerQuest Drive Image. The
>>>only option is to copy. When you want to copy a boot volume, you
>>>check copy MBR and make the partition active.
>>>
>>>The copy boots but never as far as the GUI. I am going to try to
>>>restore from a backup and find out if that works. It has worked
>>>in the past.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the reply
>>>--
>>>
>>>"PA20Pilot" <PA20Pilot@faa.gov> wrote in message