Not sure why, but neither my laptop cd drive nor my external cd writer is
letting me write Word files to it (tho the internal drive reads cds just
fine). I think some kind of driver is not enabled, but all those settings
are in some nether region of my pc. I get this message "d:\ is not
accessible. Incorrect function." Help.
PS: I'm pretty sure I'm not even at the right site to be posting this
problem but if someone could point me the right way, I'd greatly appreciate
it.

If the "intenal" cd drive is a CD-ROM drive, then you can not write with it.

What software do you use to write to the CD writer? XP native CD writer
tools do not let use "write" directly to the CD. You then need to "create
the CD".