Have I got a dud Silent Boost?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001

I've just installed a new Silent Boost Heatsink onto my new Athlon 64
3000 on an Asus KV8 Deluxe motherboard.

I was not impressed with the sound initially, and so decided to power
up the HS fan that came with the CPU just to see what the difference
was.

It turns out that my Silent Boost is louder than the original fan
supplied by AMD!!!!!

Have I got a dud Silent Boost, or is something wrong with my setup
(i.e. do I need to play with a BIOS setting to make it quiet?).

Thanks,

Anon.

"Pike" <voidrubbish@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just installed a new Silent Boost Heatsink onto my new Athlon 64
> 3000 on an Asus KV8 Deluxe motherboard.
>
> I was not impressed with the sound initially, and so decided to power
> up the HS fan that came with the CPU just to see what the difference
> was.
>
> It turns out that my Silent Boost is louder than the original fan
> supplied by AMD!!!!!
>
> Have I got a dud Silent Boost, or is something wrong with my setup
> (i.e. do I need to play with a BIOS setting to make it quiet?).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anon.

You've got a dud, my Silent Boot on my 64 - 3400 is quieter than my case
fans at 46C.

dam

In article <8e8fa11e.0409091515.2a58f891@posting.google.com>,
voidrubbish@hotmail.com (Pike) wrote:

> I was not impressed with the sound initially

The Silent Boost isn't silent, despite the name. But it does do a great
job of cooling IME considering the *relative* quiet. Check what
temperatures you're getting, because I saw a noticeable drop compared to
the much noisier Coolermaster X-Dream I was using before (except when it
was turned right down to minimum speed, which left the CPU much hotter).

Essentially for me it "quietly" gives the kind of cooling I was getting
with the X-Dream turned up to full, and that sounds like a helicopter
hovering!

Andrew McP

Any CPu cooler with the Silent in the Name is a DUD :0

If they have to advatise it their trying to hard to rick stupid people
to buy it for being silent.

Want a quiet cooler get a Zalman 7000A cu, now thats quiet, i know i
have one.

Bye.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:43 +0100 (BST),
andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>In article <8e8fa11e.0409091515.2a58f891@posting.google.com>,
>voidrubbish@hotmail.com (Pike) wrote:
>
>> I was not impressed with the sound initially
>
>The Silent Boost isn't silent, despite the name. But it does do a great
>job of cooling IME considering the *relative* quiet. Check what
>temperatures you're getting, because I saw a noticeable drop compared to
>the much noisier Coolermaster X-Dream I was using before (except when it
>was turned right down to minimum speed, which left the CPU much hotter).
>
>Essentially for me it "quietly" gives the kind of cooling I was getting
>with the X-Dream turned up to full, and that sounds like a helicopter
>hovering!
>
>Andrew McP

HELLO NURSE.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:
> [...]
> > I think that's they way they are. Despite the name (and the stats)
> > they aren't very silent. I replaced my Silent Boost with a
> > Thermalright SLK-900A and mid-range 80mm papst fan. It dropped my
> > load temps by 67c and was quieter too!
>
> And only cost about three times as much! :)

To be fair, I did say that the Silent Boost was extremely good value.
(Didn't I? Perhaps I didn't.) Anyway, I think it is. For the money, I
think its a *splendid* heatsink, let down by an <ahem> "average" fan.

And also, to be fair, an SLK-900A and decent fan isn't three times as much.
50% to 100% more perhaps. But then it is 50% to 100% better, imho. Horses
for courses.

Chip

I just want a Silent cooler that i can overclock with as well :)

Ive got that with my Zalman 7000A cu, mobile barton 2500 overclocked
to 2.5ghz :0

And it stays under 45c at load, spring now, prob stay under 50,55,60c
load in summer.

And when its quie at night or in the morining i can hardly tell my PC
is running :/

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:56:27 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
>> Chip wrote:
>> [...]
>> > I think that's they way they are. Despite the name (and the stats)
>> > they aren't very silent. I replaced my Silent Boost with a
>> > Thermalright SLK-900A and mid-range 80mm papst fan. It dropped my
>> > load temps by 67c and was quieter too!
>>
>> And only cost about three times as much! :)
>
>To be fair, I did say that the Silent Boost was extremely good value.
>(Didn't I? Perhaps I didn't.) Anyway, I think it is. For the money, I
>think its a *splendid* heatsink, let down by an <ahem> "average" fan.
>
>And also, to be fair, an SLK-900A and decent fan isn't three times as much.
>50% to 100% more perhaps. But then it is 50% to 100% better, imho. Horses
>for courses.
>
>Chip

HELLO NURSE.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Orbital Defence" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> I just want a Silent cooler that i can overclock with as well :)
>
> Ive got that with my Zalman 7000A cu, mobile barton 2500 overclocked
> to 2.5ghz :0

I think the Zalman 7000A is ***way*** better than a Silent Boost!

Chip