Vanishing CD drives

I am 95% certain that this is a MoBo issue rather than a Win XP issue, but I
wanted to cover all my bases.

Background:

Secondary controller has two drives. Jumpered as Master is a CD-RW. Jumpered
as Slave is a CD-ROM.
Cold Boot: BIOS detects and lists both drives correctly. Device Manager and
Windows Explorer lists both drives correctly.
Warm Boot: BIOS detects and lists both drives correctly. Device Manager and
Windows Explorer lists the CD-RW drive but neither utility lists the CD-ROM
drive.

Problem:

After a cold boot, if I put CD in the CD-ROM drive, my system becomes
unresponsive. Three-Finger-Salute restores my system. After the Salute,
however, both the CD-ROM drive, and the CD-RW drive have disappeared from
both Device Manager and Windows Explorer.
[After a warm boot, of course, the CD-ROM drive is invisible to Windows XP
so the problem is moot.]

Other info:
CD-RW drive is accessible after either a warm boot or after a cold boot.

TIA,

Steve

Have you ever considered that the slave CD-Rom drive is "flaky" or "dead".
Eventhough the CD-ROM is not available to Windows, it is still taking power
and IDE signals from you motherboard. CD-Rom drives can fail.

"Og" <Og@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am 95% certain that this is a MoBo issue rather than a Win XP issue, but
>I wanted to cover all my bases.
>
> Background:
>
> Secondary controller has two drives. Jumpered as Master is a CD-RW.
> Jumpered as Slave is a CD-ROM.
> Cold Boot: BIOS detects and lists both drives correctly. Device Manager
> and Windows Explorer lists both drives correctly.
> Warm Boot: BIOS detects and lists both drives correctly. Device Manager
> and Windows Explorer lists the CD-RW drive but neither utility lists the
> CD-ROM drive.
>
> Problem:
>
> After a cold boot, if I put CD in the CD-ROM drive, my system becomes
> unresponsive. Three-Finger-Salute restores my system. After the Salute,
> however, both the CD-ROM drive, and the CD-RW drive have disappeared from
> both Device Manager and Windows Explorer.
> [After a warm boot, of course, the CD-ROM drive is invisible to Windows XP
> so the problem is moot.]
>
> Other info:
> CD-RW drive is accessible after either a warm boot or after a cold boot.
>
> TIA,
>
> Steve

You can also try moving the jumper on the secondary drive to "cable select".

"Og" wrote:

> I am 95% certain that this is a MoBo issue rather than a Win XP issue, but I
> wanted to cover all my bases.
>
> Background:
>
> Secondary controller has two drives. Jumpered as Master is a CD-RW. Jumpered
> as Slave is a CD-ROM.
> Cold Boot: BIOS detects and lists both drives correctly. Device Manager and
> Windows Explorer lists both drives correctly.
> Warm Boot: BIOS detects and lists both drives correctly. Device Manager and
> Windows Explorer lists the CD-RW drive but neither utility lists the CD-ROM
> drive.
>
> Problem:
>
> After a cold boot, if I put CD in the CD-ROM drive, my system becomes
> unresponsive. Three-Finger-Salute restores my system. After the Salute,
> however, both the CD-ROM drive, and the CD-RW drive have disappeared from
> both Device Manager and Windows Explorer.
> [After a warm boot, of course, the CD-ROM drive is invisible to Windows XP
> so the problem is moot.]
>
> Other info:
> CD-RW drive is accessible after either a warm boot or after a cold boot.
>
> TIA,
>
> Steve

Yves:

I knew I forgot to mention something... Swapped the slave CD-ROM drive with
a working drive from another system. Same result: drive "flakiness" stays
with the system, not with the drive.

thanks,

steve.