Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?

Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?

I have an old legacy system (recording console automation)from the early
90's that is being updated to a new computer...

Can I take the IDE hard drive and read it on an XP system so I can
archive or transfer some of the data?

If I attach it to the IDE bus of my current computer will I see it?

I know that the automation used Windows 2.0 and whatever DOS was
current at the time..........

I will run it as a slave of course,just to retrieve data.

Thanks for any and all help,

Dave Kowalski
Bennett Studios
www.bennettstudios.com
2 answers Last reply
More about read older formatted drive data retrieval

    David Kowalski wrote:

    > Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?

    Yes.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "David Kowalski" <daveski@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Can XP read an older DOS formatted drive (data retrieval)?
    >
    > I have an old legacy system (recording console automation)from the early
    > 90's that is being updated to a new computer...
    >

    > Can I take the IDE hard drive and read it on an XP system so I can archive
    > or transfer some of the data?
    >
    > If I attach it to the IDE bus of my current computer will I see it?
    >
    > I know that the automation used Windows 2.0 and whatever DOS was current
    > at the time..........
    >
    > I will run it as a slave of course,just to retrieve data.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all help,
    >
    > Dave Kowalski
    > Bennett Studios
    > www.bennettstudios.com

    Hardware compatibility might be the bigger issue than software. It may not
    be an IDE drive, in which case you're going to need to be creative, and it
    might take several steps to get the data to an XP machine.

    If you've already checked it out, and it is IDE, you should be fine as long
    as there were no drive overlays or compression utilities used on the drive.

DOS Windows XP