Overclocking 64 3200+

Hey all,

I've got my new computer up and running and am now putting efforts
into overclocking it but I'm getting less than expected and mixed
results. I am using an AMD 64 3200+ on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with
2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200. My dumb ass didn't buy a floppy
drive so I can't flash the most recent BIOS on it until it arrives
(couple weeks since I'm overseas). But even without it, I can't get
the FSB to go any higher than 220x10, and even at 220x10 it's not
completely stable. Some times it would start up and give me page file
errors and I'd have to manually correct those, etc.

I've heard in different places that this particular board/processor
has some interesting issues with overclocking. Like you need to use
SATA 3/4 for drives cause 1/2 won't work with overclocking? Has
anyone else heard this?

I would ideally like to run it at at least 233x10, but preferably
247x10, which is the limit of the fsb at stock multiplier according to
Anandtech. I've got a reference for overclocked memory voltages, but
not for CPU voltages... But even when repeatedly trying different
combinations the highest I could get was 230x10, and it hung after it
booted into windows, and then wouldn't even start up, so I had to
reset it.

Also does anyone know how to tell whether I am using the Clawhammer or
Newcastle for sure?

Thanks a bunch, and sorry it was so long..

Rich

No floppy drive required.

Create yourself a DOS bootable CD + reboot using that.

Either put the flash files on the CD or place them somewhere easy to
navigate to on the C: drive. You should get access to any Fat16 or fat 32
hard drives, but DOS can't read NTFS drives.

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No floppy drive required.
>
> Create yourself a DOS bootable CD + reboot using that.
>
> Either put the flash files on the CD or place them somewhere easy to
> navigate to on the C: drive. You should get access to any Fat16 or fat 32
> hard drives, but DOS can't read NTFS drives.

I think winXP's install will only accept SATA drivers from a floppy drive so
... Yeh.. it hink he does need one.

But as far as flashing, what you describe should be good enough :p

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:10:46 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

> Also does anyone know how to tell whether I am using the Clawhammer or
> Newcastle for sure?

2.0GHz +1m cache = clawhammer 3200+.
Things to consider.Make sure PCI bus lock is on. Ram bus overclocks with
FSB, so try the ram bus to 166MHz. May need to raise vcore.

I think almost 2200MHz you're reaching is not too bad... I have built three
Athlon64 computers and all of them have had practical FSB-limit around
217MHz. Maybe your expectations are too high? To check if the FSB is not
giving your problem you can lower the multiplier and see if that helps. If
it does, then you have reached the CPU speed limit. If not, then you have
reached the MoBo FSB limit. (nVidia chipset should have working PCI/AGP
lock... so maybe the HT-speed or memory can't keep up?

You may check your CPU type by using CPUZ.

"Rich Lowe" <xodin@laww.biz> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> I've got my new computer up and running and am now putting efforts
> into overclocking it but I'm getting less than expected and mixed
> results. I am using an AMD 64 3200+ on an MSI K8N Neo Platinum with
> 2x512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200. My dumb ass didn't buy a floppy
> drive so I can't flash the most recent BIOS on it until it arrives
> (couple weeks since I'm overseas). But even without it, I can't get
> the FSB to go any higher than 220x10, and even at 220x10 it's not
> completely stable. Some times it would start up and give me page file
> errors and I'd have to manually correct those, etc.
>
> I've heard in different places that this particular board/processor
> has some interesting issues with overclocking. Like you need to use
> SATA 3/4 for drives cause 1/2 won't work with overclocking? Has
> anyone else heard this?
>
> I would ideally like to run it at at least 233x10, but preferably
> 247x10, which is the limit of the fsb at stock multiplier according to
> Anandtech. I've got a reference for overclocked memory voltages, but
> not for CPU voltages... But even when repeatedly trying different
> combinations the highest I could get was 230x10, and it hung after it
> booted into windows, and then wouldn't even start up, so I had to
> reset it.
>
> Also does anyone know how to tell whether I am using the Clawhammer or
> Newcastle for sure?
>
> Thanks a bunch, and sorry it was so long..
>
> Rich

Thanks a bunch everyone. Here's the new deal. I updated the BIOS to
the latest 1.4 version which made some major improvements, including
the temperature reading. I also found out that I have the Clawhammer
version of the 3200+, which I'm glad because that's what I was
expecting, just wanted to make sure that's what I received. With the
new BIOS I managed to increase the FSB to 230, which is a bit better
than before, and next I am going to try increasing the CPU voltage to
get higher after this. I downloaded CPU-Z and I am very confused at
why it shows my memory speed as 191.7Mhz, when it should be the same
as my FSB right? I am trying to overclock my PC3200 to DDR466 or so,
but at 230Mhz FSB shouldn't I be running DDR460 already? Also I
noticed that my BIOS has the FSB adjustment listed as "Adjust CPU FSB
Frequency".. does that mean that it somehow distinguishes between the
CPU and memory FSB freq? Bah, when I think I get a hold of this stuff
something else confuses me :p

Thanks a bunch

Rich

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:03:15 -0700, Rich Lowe wrote:

> Thanks a bunch everyone. Here's the new deal. I updated the BIOS to
> the latest 1.4 version which made some major improvements, including
> the temperature reading. I also found out that I have the Clawhammer
> version of the 3200+, which I'm glad because that's what I was
> expecting, just wanted to make sure that's what I received. With the
> new BIOS I managed to increase the FSB to 230, which is a bit better
> than before, and next I am going to try increasing the CPU voltage to
> get higher after this. I downloaded CPU-Z and I am very confused at
> why it shows my memory speed as 191.7Mhz, when it should be the same
> as my FSB right? I am trying to overclock my PC3200 to DDR466 or so,
> but at 230Mhz FSB shouldn't I be running DDR460 already?

That depends on the base ram bus setting. It's probably set at 166MHz,
either BySPD, or manually. If the base setting was 200MHZ, then it should
be runniing in sync with the system bus. Different boards handle this
different ways. I really think you'll have a problem trying to run your
PC3200 ram much over 200MHz on the ram bus. Probably why you had problems
before you upgraded the bios.

> Also I noticed that my BIOS has the FSB adjustment listed as "Adjust CPU
> FSB Frequency".. does that mean that it somehow distinguishes between
> the CPU and memory FSB freq? Bah, when I think I get a hold of this
> stuff something else confuses me :p

Not sure what this is. Some boards use that term for the multiplier and
others use it for the actaully bus speed. Just look at the different
settings to tell which it is. If there isn't a setting over 20 then it's
it abviously a multiplier setting. Don't try and go over the default, They
are upward locked from what I here, but they will go lower.

CPU-Z shows you are running your Memory out of sync With the FSB, instead of
1/1 it's 5/6.Your CPU is overclocked and memory is Under clocked.

I'm running a 3200+ <newcastle> at 228 at a 1/1 ratio