Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can not find existing CDRW or DVD drive!!!

Tags:
  • Hewlett Packard
  • DVD Drives
  • Windows XP
a b α HP
August 20, 2005 12:37:24 AM

I own a HP Pavillion 7955 and run Windows XP. My system was running perfectly
until I downloaded the latest version of Ad-Aware SE Personal and ran it.
After it ran my system lost all the information pertaining to the CDRW or DVD
drives, they vanished into thin air! I used the restore feature to undelete
what adware found but I still I can not find the drives. I tried to use the
"go back" feature but that does not does not work! The CDRW drive is an HP,
P/n 5185-4863 and the DVD is a Samsung SD-616 DVDMaster 16e. How can I
restore my system after running your adware software besides having to
reinstall all of my programs.

More about : find existing cdrw dvd drive

August 20, 2005 8:30:54 AM

In news:059F62B0-41DD-47DA-A102-5FD48B1582AF@microsoft.com,
confussedOne <confussedOne@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I own a HP Pavillion 7955 and run Windows XP. My system was running
> perfectly until I downloaded the latest version of Ad-Aware SE
> Personal and ran it. After it ran my system lost all the information
> pertaining to the CDRW or DVD drives, they vanished into thin air! I
> used the restore feature to undelete what adware found but I still I
> can not find the drives. I tried to use the "go back" feature but
> that does not does not work! The CDRW drive is an HP, P/n 5185-4863
> and the DVD is a Samsung SD-616 DVDMaster 16e. How can I restore my
> system after running your adware software besides having to reinstall
> all of my programs.

First, this is a Microsoft group. Microsoft did not make, nor is affiliated
with the makers of, AdAware. Beyond that you didn't mention if AdAware had
actually deleted anything. If it has, you might want to tell us what so that
we can better help you. However...

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

That should likely solve your issue. It's likely corrupted upperfilters and
lowerfilters though it could even be the drivers having gone corrupt. (You
know, hanging out behind the store, smoking cigarettes, wearing leather
jackets, and mugging old ladies? Drivers, you can't trust 'em...)

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes