Does bridging reduce overall speed?

Hello!

I had someone tell me that if you try to extend a wireless network by using
multiple access points, the speed gets cut in half with each connected AP.
In other words, he said if you have one AP at 54Mbps, then you add two more
to extend the network, you end up with 1/4 the speed at which you started.

That does not seem to make sense, but I have never tried it. Any truth to
this idea?

Gregg
1 answer Last reply
More about does bridging reduce speed

    Hi
    It depends how the Bridging is done.
    If you use a repeater the "Speed" would be cut into half, basic Repeaters have only one
    Radio that has to alternate between Client and AP mode, thus reduces the "Speed" of the
    extended segment by 50%.
    Otherwise Bridging should not affect "Speed".
    Wireless Modes: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello!
    >
    > I had someone tell me that if you try to extend a wireless network by using
    > multiple access points, the speed gets cut in half with each connected AP.
    > In other words, he said if you have one AP at 54Mbps, then you add two more
    > to extend the network, you end up with 1/4 the speed at which you started.
    >
    > That does not seem to make sense, but I have never tried it. Any truth to
    > this idea?
    >
    > Gregg

Wireless Networking