Graphics Card for AMD64 PC

Hello,

I am putting together a new system comprising of an Asus A8V motherboard and
an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU (939pin). I already have these items and SATA hard
drives, however, I am not sure what would be a good graphics card to get.
There are so many options on the market. As the Asus A8V has an AGP X8
slot, I do not want to spend a fortune however, I do not want a card that
does not do justice to my new CPU either. So could you guys perhaps make
some suggestions on a good performing (perhaps mid range) card that can
mainly cope with video editing and games (such as the yet to be treleased
Half-Life 2) that will not cost a fortune?

Also, I have not yet got the ram for this setup yet either. My intention is
to do some moderate overclocking.

Thanks,
Shane
2 answers Last reply
More about graphics card amd64

    no spam wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am putting together a new system comprising of an Asus A8V
    > motherboard and an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU (939pin). I already have
    > these items and SATA hard drives, however, I am not sure what would
    > be a good graphics card to get. There are so many options on the
    > market. As the Asus A8V has an AGP X8 slot, I do not want to spend a
    > fortune however, I do not want a card that does not do justice to my
    > new CPU either. So could you guys perhaps make some suggestions on a
    > good performing (perhaps mid range) card that can mainly cope with
    > video editing and games (such as the yet to be treleased Half-Life 2)
    > that will not cost a fortune?
    > Also, I have not yet got the ram for this setup yet either. My
    > intention is to do some moderate overclocking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shane

    With a system like that, I would go for either an ATI 9800 Pro, or an ATI
    X800 , depending on how much you want to spend. 128 mb ram should be plenty,
    personally I think the new 256 mb cards are overkill at this point and not
    worth the extra bucks.
    I have a 9800 Pro on my overclocked Barton 2600+ system, and it performs
    wondefully. I overclock the card as well using ATI Tool, it will find a good
    safe overclock rate for you. I also fitten an Arctic Cool VGA silencer to
    my 9800 Pro as well. It;s default core/memory is 378/338, and mine runs at
    420/331 with ease - I am sure I can get more, however I went with the
    conservative ati tool setting.

    I have been very pleased with my 9800 Pro.

    --
    Don Burnette

    256m is not overkill at all. Doom 3 requires 512 megs of Graphics ram to
    display everything at FULL settings. If this is a benchmark then Half Life 2
    will be the same. 256Megs will be the Minimum, so I would get that.

AMD Overclocking Graphics Cards