Graphics Card for AMD64 PC

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2004 10:15:06 AM

Hello,

I am putting together a new system comprising of an Asus A8V motherboard and
an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU (939pin). I already have these items and SATA hard
drives, however, I am not sure what would be a good graphics card to get.
There are so many options on the market. As the Asus A8V has an AGP X8
slot, I do not want to spend a fortune however, I do not want a card that
does not do justice to my new CPU either. So could you guys perhaps make
some suggestions on a good performing (perhaps mid range) card that can
mainly cope with video editing and games (such as the yet to be treleased
Half-Life 2) that will not cost a fortune?

Also, I have not yet got the ram for this setup yet either. My intention is
to do some moderate overclocking.

Thanks,
Shane

More about : graphics card amd64

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2004 10:15:07 AM

no spam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am putting together a new system comprising of an Asus A8V
> motherboard and an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU (939pin). I already have
> these items and SATA hard drives, however, I am not sure what would
> be a good graphics card to get. There are so many options on the
> market. As the Asus A8V has an AGP X8 slot, I do not want to spend a
> fortune however, I do not want a card that does not do justice to my
> new CPU either. So could you guys perhaps make some suggestions on a
> good performing (perhaps mid range) card that can mainly cope with
> video editing and games (such as the yet to be treleased Half-Life 2)
> that will not cost a fortune?
> Also, I have not yet got the ram for this setup yet either. My
> intention is to do some moderate overclocking.
>
> Thanks,
> Shane

With a system like that, I would go for either an ATI 9800 Pro, or an ATI
X800 , depending on how much you want to spend. 128 mb ram should be plenty,
personally I think the new 256 mb cards are overkill at this point and not
worth the extra bucks.
I have a 9800 Pro on my overclocked Barton 2600+ system, and it performs
wondefully. I overclock the card as well using ATI Tool, it will find a good
safe overclock rate for you. I also fitten an Arctic Cool VGA silencer to
my 9800 Pro as well. It;s default core/memory is 378/338, and mine runs at
420/331 with ease - I am sure I can get more, however I went with the
conservative ati tool setting.

I have been very pleased with my 9800 Pro.

--
Don Burnette
September 14, 2004 11:29:09 AM

256m is not overkill at all. Doom 3 requires 512 megs of Graphics ram to
display everything at FULL settings. If this is a benchmark then Half Life 2
will be the same. 256Megs will be the Minimum, so I would get that.
!