External DVD rewriter

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I just bought a USB 2.0/IEEE1394 external LG GSA-5163D DVD rewriter. As I
have DVD burning software on my computer, I do not want to install the
accompanying software, Nero Express. I plug it into my computer running
Windows XP and it works fine with CD-ROM and CDR but not any DVD video,
DVD+RW, DVD+R, etc. Can some advise me if I should just install the driver
or I have to install the accompanying software. I cannot find any driver
information from the instructions booklet and the disk.

Thanks,

Ray

Burning programs must keep up with the newer burning units by adding support
for them. You can go to the web site for the burning software you have and
get the latest upgrades. See if your burner now works. Note that some
companies stop releasing updates for an older program when once they release
a newer version. If that is the case, you will need to obtain the newest
version for compatibility with you "very new" burner.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ray" <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a USB 2.0/IEEE1394 external LG GSA-5163D DVD rewriter. As I
> have DVD burning software on my computer, I do not want to install the
> accompanying software, Nero Express. I plug it into my computer running
> Windows XP and it works fine with CD-ROM and CDR but not any DVD video,
> DVD+RW, DVD+R, etc. Can some advise me if I should just install the
> driver
> or I have to install the accompanying software. I cannot find any driver
> information from the instructions booklet and the disk.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Richard,

Thanks for your advice. I am using Ulead DVD MovieFactory v4 and I will
check the latest updates. However I normally use Windows Explorer to read
the contents of DVD+RW disk without success while not launching Ulead DVD
MovieFactory. I am unsure if it is Windows capability or Drive capability
or Drive + its driver capability. If the Drive + its driver capability,
where can I find the drive driver?

Thanks,

Ray

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Burning programs must keep up with the newer burning units by adding
> support for them. You can go to the web site for the burning software you
> have and get the latest upgrades. See if your burner now works. Note that
> some companies stop releasing updates for an older program when once they
> release a newer version. If that is the case, you will need to obtain the
> newest version for compatibility with you "very new" burner.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Ray" <NoSpam-LiZhiQiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
>>I just bought a USB 2.0/IEEE1394 external LG GSA-5163D DVD rewriter. As I
>> have DVD burning software on my computer, I do not want to install the
>> accompanying software, Nero Express. I plug it into my computer running
>> Windows XP and it works fine with CD-ROM and CDR but not any DVD video,
>> DVD+RW, DVD+R, etc. Can some advise me if I should just install the
>> driver
>> or I have to install the accompanying software. I cannot find any driver
>> information from the instructions booklet and the disk.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Richard,

I just discovered that after I upgraded to SP2 of Ulead DVD MovieFactory, it
recognises my new drive and can write to it without issue.

However, I still cannot read/write DVD+RW disk that I saved data on it with
my old Ricoh MP5125A using Windows Explorer of Windows XP.

I tried to format a new DVD+RW disk and read/wrote it using Windows Explorer
like a large floppy successfully.

Can someone advise how I can retrieve the data I saved it on DVD+RW disks
with my old DVD Writer in the past.

Thanks,

Ray