Heat problem

Hi All,
I have a problem that appears to be overheating related in as much that for
a while now when anything like an "aquarium" type screensaver is running the
screen freezes but if I removed side cover and directed a desk fan into unit
it worked fine.
I fitted two case fans, graphics card cooler,case exhauster etc all to no
avail.
The processor is an AMD XP2800+ and it's fitted with a cooljag heatsink and
fan.
The only thing I can think of is that when the unit was fairly new I had
trouble and it was found that the cpu heatsink was clogged with dust and I
wonder if this may have damaged the processor in any way as it went out on
it's thermal cut out ( so I'm told!).
I'm sorry if this isn't the correct group to post but I hoped someone here
might be able to help.
Would another fan/heatsink help at all?

many thanks

Gaz

"Gaz" <gazza342@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have a problem that appears to be overheating related in as much that
> for
> a while now when anything like an "aquarium" type screensaver is running
> the
> screen freezes but if I removed side cover and directed a desk fan into
> unit
> it worked fine.
> I fitted two case fans, graphics card cooler,case exhauster etc all to no
> avail.
> The processor is an AMD XP2800+ and it's fitted with a cooljag heatsink
> and
> fan.
> The only thing I can think of is that when the unit was fairly new I had
> trouble and it was found that the cpu heatsink was clogged with dust and I
> wonder if this may have damaged the processor in any way as it went out on
> it's thermal cut out ( so I'm told!).
> I'm sorry if this isn't the correct group to post but I hoped someone here
> might be able to help.
> Would another fan/heatsink help at all?
>
> many thanks
>
> Gaz

Could very well be overheating... What temperature is being reported?

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> "Gaz" <gazza342@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>> I have a problem that appears to be overheating related in as much that
>> for
>> a while now when anything like an "aquarium" type screensaver is running
>> the
>> screen freezes but if I removed side cover and directed a desk fan into
>> unit
>> it worked fine.
>> I fitted two case fans, graphics card cooler,case exhauster etc all to no
>> avail.
>> The processor is an AMD XP2800+ and it's fitted with a cooljag heatsink
>> and
>> fan.
>> The only thing I can think of is that when the unit was fairly new I had
>> trouble and it was found that the cpu heatsink was clogged with dust and
>> wonder if this may have damaged the processor in any way as it went out
>> on
>> it's thermal cut out ( so I'm told!).
>> I'm sorry if this isn't the correct group to post but I hoped someone
>> here
>> might be able to help.
>> Would another fan/heatsink help at all?
>>
>> many thanks
>>
>> Gaz
>>
> Could very well be overheating... What temperature is being reported?
> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****

Hi BB,

Sorry to be a thick ***** but how can I check the temp??

Gaz

> Hi BB,
>
> Sorry to be a thick ***** but how can I check the temp??
>
> Gaz

You could install monitoring software such as MBM5 or you could go into the
BIOS and see what is reported there.

>> Hi BB,
>>
>> Sorry to be a thick ***** but how can I check the temp??
>>
>> Gaz
>
> You could install monitoring software such as MBM5 or you could go into
> the BIOS and see what is reported there.
>
> --
> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****

Hi,
What sort of temp should it run at? I'm getting 50-51 degrees c

cheers

> "BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi BB,
>>>
>>> Sorry to be a thick ***** but how can I check the temp??
>>>
>>> Gaz
>>
>> You could install monitoring software such as MBM5 or you could go into
>> the BIOS and see what is reported there.
>>
>> --
>> *****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****
>
> Hi,
> What sort of temp should it run at? I'm getting 50-51 degrees c
>
> cheers

If 50C - 51C is in the BIOS, under no load, then I'd say it's a bit on the
toasy side, load temps will be about 10 - 15C higher. If it were my system
I'd be looking to improve the cooling, especially as you are already
experiencing overheating symptoms.