How do I install a External Harddrive?

To anyone that might be able to help... I've had this external hard drive for
a long time and I haven't been able to access it to store lots of music and
videos on. My computer sees that it is there, but like I had said earlier, I
can't use it. It won't let me see it unless I go to Device Manager. My
computer is getting old on me and it's been places most labtops shouldn't
have gone... Once in Purgatory, and now, it's on Hell's surface. I get the
safely remove hardware icon down by my clock, but I don't want to remove it,
I want to use it. I want it to show up in my drives so I can instantly see
how much space I have left and what not... I went through the Troubleshooter,
tried every possible way that I can think of, the ways the troubleshooter
said, so I'm running out of options. If anyone could think of how to wrestle
this problem and make it like me, drop a line or how ever many it takes...
Thanks
--
Good impressions are so hard to find.

Is the external drive partitioned and formatted? You can't use it until it
is.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"dewman72" <kornkidd72e3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> To anyone that might be able to help... I've had this external hard drive
> for
> a long time and I haven't been able to access it to store lots of music
> and
> videos on. My computer sees that it is there, but like I had said earlier,
> can't use it. It won't let me see it unless I go to Device Manager. My
> computer is getting old on me and it's been places most labtops shouldn't
> have gone... Once in Purgatory, and now, it's on Hell's surface. I get the
> safely remove hardware icon down by my clock, but I don't want to remove
> it,
> I want to use it. I want it to show up in my drives so I can instantly see
> how much space I have left and what not... I went through the
> Troubleshooter,
> tried every possible way that I can think of, the ways the troubleshooter
> said, so I'm running out of options. If anyone could think of how to
> wrestle
> this problem and make it like me, drop a line or how ever many it takes...
> Thanks
> --
> Good impressions are so hard to find.

Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right click the drive
there and Format.

Make sure you select the proper drive before formatting.