XP2800 Barton seems overclocked

Nero

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2003

Hi,
have an XP2800+(Barton) on an Asus A7N8X DLX board.
Ram is 2X512 sticks of PC2700
I have not changed any setting in the bios that might overclock but
regardless of what software I use to show speed, ram, other they all show it
as being overclocked.

CPU-Z shows core speed as 2088 MHZ
Multiplier 12.5X(CORRECT)
FSB 167 MHz
Bus speed 334.1 MHz

Any other software used all show the same as above.
Any ideas as to why??

Nero wrote:
> Hi,
> have an XP2800+(Barton) on an Asus A7N8X DLX board.
> Ram is 2X512 sticks of PC2700
> I have not changed any setting in the bios that might overclock but
> regardless of what software I use to show speed, ram, other they all
> show it as being overclocked.
>
> CPU-Z shows core speed as 2088 MHZ
> Multiplier 12.5X(CORRECT)
> FSB 167 MHz

This is the correct FSB, multiplier, and speed for a Barton 2800+ with a
166MHz FSB (the most common 2800+). What makes you think that it's
overclocked?

[...]

--
Michael Brown

"Nero" <nero@rome.it> wrote in message
> 2088 MHZ?
> should thayt not be 2083?

that's less than a quarter of a % increase ... I'm sure it'll be fine ..
it's due to the clock frequency not being exactly on the mark (very few are
btw) ie it's running at 334.1 instead of 333.

don't worry about it ... just enjoy your system :)

Mal

Nero wrote:
> 2088 MHZ?
> should thayt not be 2083?

It's called statistical error :) Many "CPUID" programs use (often
indirectly) the MHz value as told to them by Windows, which is only sampled
once (on boot). Because of the inherent problems of deciding the speed of a
very fast clock (the CPU speed) given only a rather slow inaccurate clock
(the PIT timers) there is a fraction of a % error in each reading. If you
take enough readings you get a fairly accurate value, but a single sample
can be off by a bit. A good demonstration of this is the "real time clock
checker" in WCPUID (though this does fairly accurate readings, you should
still see a bit of variation). Try rebooting your computer a few times. You
should see your speed as reported by the CPUID programs change with each
reboot.

--
Michael Brown

TRENDING THREADS