1.33 Athalon - Safe Operating Temperature?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I rebuilt a system on a new FIC AU-13 motherboard, reusing my older Athalon
1.33 CPU. I purchased this OEM chip 3 years ago along with an AMD -
recommended Coolermaster heat-sink & fan. When I did the rebuild, I lapped
the large aluminum heat-sink to a fine finish, using 2000-grit sandpaper and
cleaned the CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. I finished by applying a fine
coat of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, per the instructions on their
website. I installed in an ATX mid-tower case with a single 80 mm case fan
(blowing in).

Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room temperatures
in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for sustained
system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
with these temperatures, I won't even try.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?
2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25 US).

Thanks for any wisdom or input.

raj

Distinguished
May 2, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

you should had that fan on your atx case blowing the air out of the case.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:52:39 -0600, Raj wrote:

> you should had that fan on your atx case blowing the air out of the case.

No. He has it right. Assuming it's mountefd in the lower front. The PSU
fan is an exhaust, so he has it set up the way it should be.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:19:37 -0400, whozix wrote:

> Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
> temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room temperatures
> in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
> light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for sustained
> system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
> with these temperatures, I won't even try.

55C is not too hot considering room temps of 80+F.

> Questions:
>
> 1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?

They seem pretty much normal considering the condidtions, CPU, and coolers
of the time frame.

> 2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
> significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25
> US).

Would have helped to know which exact cooler you had, but for one that is
cheap ($8), quiet (21dba), and does a great job (rated up to 3400+,
there's the TR2-M1 (or M3). Replacing the 2500rpm 80mm fan would give you
better cooling but shouldn't be needed. Another good choice though more
expensive but close to your price range would be a Thermalright ALX-800
with a fan of your choice. It's $16 without a fan. throw a $1.69 80mm fan
on it and it will probably cool a little better than the TR2-M1. test show
it to be very close to the top performers.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> Would have helped to know which exact cooler you had,

Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available here:
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=AAC-001&other_title=0

> but for one that is
> cheap ($8), quiet (21dba), and does a great job (rated up to 3400+,
> there's the TR2-M1 (or M3). Replacing the 2500rpm 80mm fan would give you
> better cooling but shouldn't be needed. Another good choice though more
> expensive but close to your price range would be a Thermalright ALX-800
> with a fan of your choice. It's $16 without a fan. throw a $1.69 80mm fan
> on it and it will probably cool a little better than the TR2-M1. test show
> it to be very close to the top performers.

My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about what
sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of your
recommended solutions?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:45:34 -0400, whozix wrote:

> Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available here:
> http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=AAC-001&other_title=0
>
> My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about what
> sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of your
> recommended solutions?

Compared to the old one you have now I'd guess it would lower the temps by
10-15C.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:45:34 -0400, whozix wrote:
>
> > Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available here:

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=AAC-001&other_title=0

> > My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about
what
> > sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of
your
> > recommended solutions?
>
> Compared to the old one you have now I'd guess it would lower the temps by
> 10-15C.

Thanks again. I am presently shopping on-line for a new HS & fan.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

If this case fan is in the rear of the case it should be blowing Out, not
in. I think this will make a big drop.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"whozix" <whozix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I rebuilt a system on a new FIC AU-13 motherboard, reusing my older
Athalon
> 1.33 CPU. I purchased this OEM chip 3 years ago along with an AMD -
> recommended Coolermaster heat-sink & fan. When I did the rebuild, I lapped
> the large aluminum heat-sink to a fine finish, using 2000-grit sandpaper
and
> cleaned the CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. I finished by applying a fine
> coat of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, per the instructions on their
> website. I installed in an ATX mid-tower case with a single 80 mm case fan
> (blowing in).
>
> Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
> temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room
temperatures
> in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
> light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for
sustained
> system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
> with these temperatures, I won't even try.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?
> 2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
> significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25
US).

> Thanks for any wisdom or input.

Search Goggole For it..
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=roommate+idiot+lie+dishonest+stoopid&meta=
or
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=gullible+%22Believes+anything%22+dumbass&meta=

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

> Search Goggole For it..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=roommate+idiot+lie+dishonest+stoopid&meta=
> or

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=gullible+%22Believes+anything%22+dumbass&meta=

Sorry
Posted this to the wrong place.. It was ment to abe a reply to the guy who
says his roommate can get 3000mhz out of his chip

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"whozix" <whozix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I rebuilt a system on a new FIC AU-13 motherboard, reusing my older Athalon
> 1.33 CPU. I purchased this OEM chip 3 years ago along with an AMD -
> recommended Coolermaster heat-sink & fan. When I did the rebuild, I lapped
> the large aluminum heat-sink to a fine finish, using 2000-grit sandpaper
> and
> cleaned the CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. I finished by applying a fine
> coat of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, per the instructions on their
> website. I installed in an ATX mid-tower case with a single 80 mm case fan
> (blowing in).
>
> Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
> temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room
> temperatures
> in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
> light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for
> sustained
> system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
> with these temperatures, I won't even try.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?
> 2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
> significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25
> US).
>
> Thanks for any wisdom or input.

Well I have an AMD Thunderbird 1333 (I think it's the same as you have) and
you might wanna know that it's nickname at that time was: firehead (or in
dutch "Heethoofd"). Thunderbird CPU's were well known for there extreme
temperatures.

I have my CPU running for 3,5 years now @ temperatures of:

Winter: idle 55 celsisus Stressed @ 65 celsius

and during the summer days it get's worse

Summer: idle 67 celsius Stressed @ 72/73 celsius

If you don't believe me I can send you pictures of the temperatures that I
get.

So in your case I'd say you have some nice temperatures there man :).
Although you might always want to try and get the CPU better cooled.

Regards,

Rubbie

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"whozix" <whozix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I rebuilt a system on a new FIC AU-13 motherboard, reusing my older Athalon
> 1.33 CPU. I purchased this OEM chip 3 years ago along with an AMD -
> recommended Coolermaster heat-sink & fan. When I did the rebuild, I lapped
> the large aluminum heat-sink to a fine finish, using 2000-grit sandpaper
> and
> cleaned the CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. I finished by applying a fine
> coat of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, per the instructions on their
> website. I installed in an ATX mid-tower case with a single 80 mm case fan
> (blowing in).
>
> Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
> temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room
> temperatures
> in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
> light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for
> sustained
> system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
> with these temperatures, I won't even try.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?
> 2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
> significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25
> US).
>
> Thanks for any wisdom or input.

My 1333 t-bird has been around 55 deg C for months with no problems.