dick

Whenever I connect my new USB card reader to a USB port on my desktop PC the
computer immediately shuts down and begins a reboot. It does the same if I
plug it in prior to startup. If I leave it connected the computer will
continue to reboot when it finds the card reader. It always happens with my
card reader, whether I plug it into a 2.0 or 1.0 USB port. No other
problems with my camera, thumb drives, etc. It just appears to be allergic
to the card reader. Trying the same thing on my Toshiba laptop causes no
problems at all. Both are XP SP2 with current updates. PC has an AMD and
the laptop a Celeron M. Suggestions appreciated. TIA, Dick

"Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Whenever I connect my new USB card reader to a USB port on my desktop PC
> the computer immediately shuts down and begins a reboot. It does the same
> if I plug it in prior to startup. If I leave it connected the computer
> will continue to reboot when it finds the card reader. It always happens
> with my card reader, whether I plug it into a 2.0 or 1.0 USB port. No
> other problems with my camera, thumb drives, etc. It just appears to be
> allergic to the card reader. Trying the same thing on my Toshiba laptop
> causes no problems at all. Both are XP SP2 with current updates. PC has
> an AMD and the laptop a Celeron M. Suggestions appreciated. TIA, Dick

Take a look in the event viewer to see if there's something being logged.
But considering it's happening on startup, I'm betting is some sort of
hardware incompatibility.

Do you have a USB extension cable? I've gotten them with USB gizmos, so
maybe you got one with your reader. See if the same thing happens with the
reader attached with the cable.

dick

I have USB 1 and 2 ports and also an extension cable as you mentioned. The
same problem occurs regardless of where the USB cable from the card reader
is attached, and I've tried all three locations. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dick

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Dick" <roving@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Whenever I connect my new USB card reader to a USB port on my desktop PC
>> the computer immediately shuts down and begins a reboot. It does the
>> same if I plug it in prior to startup. If I leave it connected the
>> computer will continue to reboot when it finds the card reader. It always
>> happens with my card reader, whether I plug it into a 2.0 or 1.0 USB
>> port. No other problems with my camera, thumb drives, etc. It just
>> appears to be allergic to the card reader. Trying the same thing on my
>> Toshiba laptop causes no problems at all. Both are XP SP2 with current
>> updates. PC has an AMD and the laptop a Celeron M. Suggestions
>> appreciated. TIA, Dick
>>

> Take a look in the event viewer to see if there's something being logged.
> But considering it's happening on startup, I'm betting is some sort of
> hardware incompatibility.
>
> Do you have a USB extension cable? I've gotten them with USB gizmos, so
> maybe you got one with your reader. See if the same thing happens with the
> reader attached with the cable.

you may have a short in the usb cable end.. Try another usb cable or
look closly at the one that's built in. compare it with another....

could happen!!

dick

Thanks for that suggestion. I did check all of the connections as you
suggested, and used a magnifier, but nothing adverse was found. And the
same USB wire from the card reader works fine in my laptop. All other USB
connections on my desktop PC work fine when other connections are made, with
the one exception, which is the card reader. I'm sort of at a dead end at
the moment. I do appreciate the interest. Dick