I have a laptop to access a wireless network and I have a built-in wireless
adapter and also a PCMCIA wireless adapter. I have two questions concerning
this.

#1. Is it ok to leave them both running at the same time? For some reason,
the built-in sometimes has a stronger signal but it frequently disconnects
and reconnects.

#2. The reason am so aware of these connects and disconnects is that the
informational Ballons keep popping up from my System Tray. I am talking
about CONSTANT (usually a couple of times each minute) messages and they are
very distracting. Is there any way to disable to Ballons without removing
the Systray Connection Icon altogether?

Now that I think of it, I have one more question so I guess this would be
#3.

I am unable to determine which one works best. The built-in adapter tells
me that the connection strength is Good or Excellent but is only showing a
speed of 1.0 to 5.5 Mbps. The PCMCIA card shows signal strength of Very Low
but shows a speed of 11.0 Mbps. In that situation, which one is more
capable of transfering data. That leads back to question #1. Do I get
better connectivity by running them both at the same time> BTW, my PCMCIA
card is a 54 Mbps card but the WAP is only 11 Mbps.

Thanks,

Tom

Hello

For q1: You can use both at a time ,there is nothing wrong in that.

q2: Click on the network connections in the control panel,select the network
adapter from the "lan or high speed internet" then right click and select
properties on the network connection that you dont want to notify when
disconnected.

clear the check box " notify me when the connection has limited or no
connectivity"

this will help you from distraction.

q3: There wont be any increase in the speed if you use one or two at a
time.your PCMIA card is 54mbps and built card is 11mbps ,so your pcmia card
is obviously faster . Here again ,your network should support 54mbps for that
speed(I mean you should have 54mbps wireless router for your 54mbps pcmia
card to work at higher speeds).we need to consider the signal strengths ,the
better the signal the more the data transfer.your built adapter shows good
signal strength at lower speeds,so builtin card is better for you.

Hope your are clear with your wi-fi questions . . !

Brown" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a laptop to access a wireless network and I have a built-in wireless
> adapter and also a PCMCIA wireless adapter. I have two questions concerning
> this.
>
> #1. Is it ok to leave them both running at the same time? For some reason,
> the built-in sometimes has a stronger signal but it frequently disconnects
> and reconnects.
>
> #2. The reason am so aware of these connects and disconnects is that the
> informational Ballons keep popping up from my System Tray. I am talking
> about CONSTANT (usually a couple of times each minute) messages and they are
> very distracting. Is there any way to disable to Ballons without removing
> the Systray Connection Icon altogether?
>
> Now that I think of it, I have one more question so I guess this would be
> #3.
>
> I am unable to determine which one works best. The built-in adapter tells
> me that the connection strength is Good or Excellent but is only showing a
> speed of 1.0 to 5.5 Mbps. The PCMCIA card shows signal strength of Very Low
> but shows a speed of 11.0 Mbps. In that situation, which one is more
> capable of transfering data. That leads back to question #1. Do I get
> better connectivity by running them both at the same time> BTW, my PCMCIA
> card is a 54 Mbps card but the WAP is only 11 Mbps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Prashanth,

Thanks for the reply. This is just what I was looking for and I was about
to give up hope of anyone replying.

But, unfortunately, I got lost in your tips on Q2. I was unable to find any
of the options that you mentioned in any of the Properties dialogues. I
think I recall seeing them in the past but I was not able to find them now.
A little more guideance please.

Thanks,

Tom

"Tom Brown" wrote:

> Prashanth,

> But, unfortunately, I got lost in your tips on Q2. I was unable to find any
> of the options that you mentioned in any of the Properties dialogues. I
> think I recall seeing them in the past but I was not able to find them now.
> Tom

> > q2: Click on the network connections in the control panel,select the
> > network
> > adapter from the "lan or high speed internet" then right click and select
> > properties on the network connection that you dont want to notify when
> > disconnected.
> >
> > clear the check box " notify me when the connection has limited or no
> > connectivity"

> >> #2. The reason am so aware of these connects and disconnects is that the
> >> informational Ballons keep popping up from my System Tray. I am talking
> >> about CONSTANT (usually a couple of times each minute) messages and they
> >> are
> >> very distracting. Is there any way to disable to Ballons without removing
> >> the Systray Connection Icon altogether?
> >>
> >> Now that I think of it, I have one more question so I guess this would be

As to q2: As described by Prashanther. In the Control Panel, Open Network
Connections and right-click on you wireless connection. The checkbox is right
at the bottom of the dialog.