Windows won't install new hardware

I run XP SP2. Whenever I attempt to install any kind of new hardware, the
New Hardware wizard goes through its motions, but it NEVER finds the drivers
or software to install for the new hardware. There are times when even if I
point directly to the proper file, it still won't install. This has occurred
with numerous different hardware. My current issue is with my Dell DJ.
Windows will not find the driver.
I also made the big mistake of attempting to upgrade the firmware for my
internal DVD-ROM (Toshiba R5002). The installation failed. Noweverytime I
start Windows, it indicated it has found new hardware and the wizard attempts
to install, but it always fails.
For the record, I have no problems installing any hardware on my laptop,
which is running SP2 as well.
Any ideas on what is going on?
Thanks in advance.

"GRS328" <GRS328@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I run XP SP2. Whenever I attempt to install any kind of new hardware, the
> New Hardware wizard goes through its motions, but it NEVER finds the
> drivers
> or software to install for the new hardware. There are times when even if
> point directly to the proper file, it still won't install. This has
> occurred
> with numerous different hardware. My current issue is with my Dell DJ.
> Windows will not find the driver.
> I also made the big mistake of attempting to upgrade the firmware for my
> internal DVD-ROM (Toshiba R5002). The installation failed. Noweverytime
> start Windows, it indicated it has found new hardware and the wizard
> attempts
> to install, but it always fails.
> For the record, I have no problems installing any hardware on my laptop,
> which is running SP2 as well.
> Any ideas on what is going on?
> Thanks in advance.

You should not be using the Windows new hardware wizard to install drivers.
If a piece of hardware requires drivers, they will come with the device,
usually with a CD and some instructions on how to install. For your DJ, you
need to install the drivers from the disc that came with it *BEFORE* you
connect the DJ the first time.

As for the firmware flash on your DVD-ROM, did you follow the instructions
and change the IDE channel to PIO mode?

From your description of your problem(s), it sounds as if you expect Windows
to find and load drivers for you, which is not the case. When you attempt
to install a new piece of hardware, or attempt something potentially
hazardous as a firmware upgrade, you need to take the time and read the
instructions thoroughly, from beginning to end, before attempting to
install/flash/upgrade, etc.

As for the failed firmware flash on the DVD-ROM, contact the manufacturer of
your computer for support. It is probably not covered under the warranty,
but even so you can buy a DVD-ROM for very little money these days. In some
cases, a bad flash can be recovered, but in many cases it cannot.
Personally, for the cost of a DVD-ROM unit these days, I wouldn't spend too
much time or effort trying to recover it. Easier (and often cheaper) just
to buy a new reader.

FWIW, you should never upgrade the firmware for any device in your computer
unless it is to correct a problem that you are experiencing a problem that
the upgrade will solve. If the unit is working without problems, you should
*NOT* upgrade just because a newer firmware version exists.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"; very wise advice.

Bobby

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

As for the firmware flash on my DVD ROM, I only did so because the reader
would not recognize DVD media when in the tray. My PC manufacturer directed
me to the firmware upgrade, and believe me, there were absolutely no
instructions about changing the IDE channel. However, I recognize this issue
is most likely a lost cause, and I will take your advice and purchase a new
DVD writer.

As for my Dell DJ, again, I only upgraded my firmware as I needed the Plays
For Sure compatibility that was not existent with the original firmware. I
fully subscribe to the rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." However, it
was necessary for me to upgrade.

My concern is that I upgraded the firmware on the DJ and my desktop no
longer recognizes the DJ, yet my laptop does (unfortunately, the majority of
my music is located on my desktop.) This is what leads me to believe it is
an issue within Windows. I have contacted Dell support, but they have been
unable to resolve the issue.

Thanks

"NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

> "GRS328" <GRS328@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I run XP SP2. Whenever I attempt to install any kind of new hardware, the
> > New Hardware wizard goes through its motions, but it NEVER finds the
> > drivers
> > or software to install for the new hardware. There are times when even if
> > point directly to the proper file, it still won't install. This has
> > occurred
> > with numerous different hardware. My current issue is with my Dell DJ.
> > Windows will not find the driver.
> > I also made the big mistake of attempting to upgrade the firmware for my
> > internal DVD-ROM (Toshiba R5002). The installation failed. Noweverytime
> > start Windows, it indicated it has found new hardware and the wizard
> > attempts
> > to install, but it always fails.
> > For the record, I have no problems installing any hardware on my laptop,
> > which is running SP2 as well.
> > Any ideas on what is going on?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> You should not be using the Windows new hardware wizard to install drivers.
> If a piece of hardware requires drivers, they will come with the device,
> usually with a CD and some instructions on how to install. For your DJ, you
> need to install the drivers from the disc that came with it *BEFORE* you
> connect the DJ the first time.
>
> As for the firmware flash on your DVD-ROM, did you follow the instructions
> and change the IDE channel to PIO mode?
>
> From your description of your problem(s), it sounds as if you expect Windows
> to find and load drivers for you, which is not the case. When you attempt
> to install a new piece of hardware, or attempt something potentially
> hazardous as a firmware upgrade, you need to take the time and read the
> instructions thoroughly, from beginning to end, before attempting to
> install/flash/upgrade, etc.
>
> As for the failed firmware flash on the DVD-ROM, contact the manufacturer of
> your computer for support. It is probably not covered under the warranty,
> but even so you can buy a DVD-ROM for very little money these days. In some
> cases, a bad flash can be recovered, but in many cases it cannot.
> Personally, for the cost of a DVD-ROM unit these days, I wouldn't spend too
> much time or effort trying to recover it. Easier (and often cheaper) just
> to buy a new reader.
>
> FWIW, you should never upgrade the firmware for any device in your computer
> unless it is to correct a problem that you are experiencing a problem that
> the upgrade will solve. If the unit is working without problems, you should
> *NOT* upgrade just because a newer firmware version exists.
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"; very wise advice.
>
> Bobby

I'm having the same problems also, I have the software disks and the system
won't find the drivers. I have called tech support to no avail. Have you
got any or received any solutions?