ClAy

I have a Media Center PC with an HP DVD Writer 640b, which i purchased only a
few months ago. I often make dvd movies and it has worked great for months.
Then one day the 'device buffer' that usually works fine now jumps all over
the place, even when no other programs are running. This causes the write
rate to drop from 8x to about 1.5 x, making the burn time 10 times as long.
I am very concerned about why this is happening, the entire drive just seems
to run slower for no reason. I tried updating drivers, but there were no
driver updates...please help!

Possibly dirt on the drive lens.

Ask HP what to do in this situation.

"Clay" <Clay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Media Center PC with an HP DVD Writer 640b, which i purchased
only a
> few months ago. I often make dvd movies and it has worked great for
months.
> Then one day the 'device buffer' that usually works fine now jumps all
over
> the place, even when no other programs are running. This causes the write
> rate to drop from 8x to about 1.5 x, making the burn time 10 times as
long.
> I am very concerned about why this is happening, the entire drive just
seems
> to run slower for no reason. I tried updating drivers, but there were no
> driver updates...please help!

Norally, when any CD/DVD burner have problems in creating a disc, you
should:

1) Check for viruses and clean all/any found.
2) Check for spywares and clear them out.
3) Clean up all "temporary" files (Disk Cleanup)
4) Check fragmentation of hard drive. It sounds weird, but a fragmented
hard drvie does cause burning problems.
5) Check the media description code (exists on each DVD +- media disk.)
Not every media is created equal and unless you use "name-brand" media, you
can encounter problems. More details on DVD creation: www.videohelp.com.