mouse freeze

I'm using windows xp home addition on a notebook from gateway with an HID
Compliant mouse. It freezes constantly. No new driver device available.
Gateway can't seem to help. bogus info. any suggestions?
4 answers Last reply
More about mouse freeze

    sol wrote:

    > I'm using windows xp home addition on a notebook from gateway with an
    > HID Compliant mouse. It freezes constantly. No new driver device
    > available. Gateway can't seem to help. bogus info. any suggestions?

    As I told the OP (who never came back unfortunately), the mouse is
    probably not the issue. If the lockups are random, you probably have
    failing hardware. Here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps:

    1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

    2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    laptop, although of course the power
    supply can be faulty.

    5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

    Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" wrote:

    > sol wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using windows xp home addition on a notebook from gateway with an
    > > HID Compliant mouse. It freezes constantly. No new driver device
    > > available. Gateway can't seem to help. bogus info. any suggestions?
    >
    > As I told the OP (who never came back unfortunately), the mouse is
    > probably not the issue. If the lockups are random, you probably have
    > failing hardware. Here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps:
    >
    > 1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
    > observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
    > you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
    > and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.
    >
    > 2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    > have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    > download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    > the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    > need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    > download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    > In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    > immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    > errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.
    >
    > 3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    > you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    > with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    > errors, replace it.
    >
    > 4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
    > you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
    > laptop, although of course the power
    > supply can be faulty.
    >
    > 5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
    > www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.
    >
    > Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
    > with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
    > uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
    > computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I'm pretty damn sure you may have solved my mouse problem as far as my
    laptop overheating. I do not turn my laptop off and the battery continues to
    charge, it doesn't go into standby because of of some other error. I think it
    is overheating. never thought about listening to the fan. Other problems with
    freeze ups but thought the problem was the mouse.

    Can I use the aerosol air to blow out everything. or will that harm
    anyything? just in case it's dust, which could be as well. We've also been
    hotter/more humid this summer in NE than for many years. another possibility.

    "sol" wrote:

> [...]
    > > computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > Elephant Boy Computers
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > "Don't Panic!"
    > > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    > >

    > I'm pretty damn sure you may have solved my mouse problem as far as my
    > laptop overheating. I do not turn my laptop off and the battery continues to
    > charge, it doesn't go into standby because of of some other error. I think it
    > is overheating. never thought about listening to the fan. Other problems with
    > freeze ups but thought the problem was the mouse.
    >
    > Can I use the aerosol air to blow out everything. or will that harm
    > anyything? just in case it's dust, which could be as well. We've also been
    > hotter/more humid this summer in NE than for many years. another possibility.

    canyou expound about the power source? in english no tech terms, please...

    sol wrote:

    >> I'm pretty damn sure you may have solved my mouse problem as far as
    >> my laptop overheating. I do not turn my laptop off and the battery
    >> continues to charge, it doesn't go into standby because of of some
    >> other error. I think it is overheating. never thought about listening
    >> to the fan. Other problems with freeze ups but thought the problem
    >> was the mouse.
    >>
    >> Can I use the aerosol air to blow out everything. or will that harm
    >> anyything? just in case it's dust, which could be as well. We've also
    >> been hotter/more humid this summer in NE than for many years. another
    >> possibility.
    >
    > canyou expound about the power source? in english no tech terms,
    > please...

    Since you have a laptop your repair options are limited. You need to
    determine why the laptop isn't going into standby and check to make
    sure the proper power management software is installed. Read the manual
    that came with your laptop, or if you no longer have it go to the
    laptop mftr.'s website for tech support for your specific model
    computer. If the computer is new and still under warranty, contact the
    laptop mftr. for repairs.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers