  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2005 2:52:30 AM

hi group

anyone know how find the key WEP encription in wireless net with Windows XP
SO

thanks

More about : program find wep encription

April 27, 2005 6:20:35 AM

My reply is the same as I made to your earlier posts.

The fact that you want to break into an encrypted network would seem to
indicate that you're up to no good. The network is encrypted for a
reason...that reason being to keep unauthorized persons from connecting to
it.

Internet access is dirt cheap nowadays (even if it's only dialup). I would
suggest that you fork over a few dollars and stay legal. The alternative
would be to ask your neighbors to try to find out who has the internet
access. Then you could offer them a few dollars and ask their permission to
join the network and still be legal. Or does that sound too hard?

My network is encrypted because I don't like freeloaders on my nickel and
browsing the contents of my computer. I bet your neighbors feel the same
way but just ask them. You might be surprised.

"Jose Prieto" <joseprietoll@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message
> hi group
>
> anyone know how find the key WEP encription in wireless net with Windows
> XP SO
>
> thanks

April 27, 2005 6:20:36 AM

Fitz wrote:
> My reply is the same as I made to your earlier posts.
>
> The fact that you want to break into an encrypted network would seem to
> indicate that you're up to no good. The network is encrypted for a
> reason...that reason being to keep unauthorized persons from connecting to
> it.
>
> Internet access is dirt cheap nowadays (even if it's only dialup). I would
> suggest that you fork over a few dollars and stay legal. The alternative
> would be to ask your neighbors to try to find out who has the internet
> access. Then you could offer them a few dollars and ask their permission to
> join the network and still be legal. Or does that sound too hard?
>
> My network is encrypted because I don't like freeloaders on my nickel and
> browsing the contents of my computer. I bet your neighbors feel the same
> way but just ask them. You might be surprised.
>

> "Jose Prieto" <joseprietoll@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message
>
>>hi group
>>
>>anyone know how find the key WEP encription in wireless net with Windows
>>XP SO
>>
>>thanks

It's for reasons like this I wish I knew how to setup encryption on my
laptop XP Pro and Linksys
Related resources
April 27, 2005 6:58:18 AM

If you need any ideas...let me know. There's a lot of info available.

"Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message
> Fitz wrote:
>> My reply is the same as I made to your earlier posts.
>>
>> The fact that you want to break into an encrypted network would seem to
>> indicate that you're up to no good. The network is encrypted for a
>> reason...that reason being to keep unauthorized persons from connecting
>> it.
>>
>> Internet access is dirt cheap nowadays (even if it's only dialup). I
>> would
>> suggest that you fork over a few dollars and stay legal. The alternative
>> would be to ask your neighbors to try to find out who has the internet
>> access. Then you could offer them a few dollars and ask their permission
>> join the network and still be legal. Or does that sound too hard?
>>
>> My network is encrypted because I don't like freeloaders on my nickel and
>> browsing the contents of my computer. I bet your neighbors feel the same
>> way but just ask them. You might be surprised.
>>

>> "Jose Prieto" <joseprietoll@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message
>>
>>>hi group
>>>
>>>anyone know how find the key WEP encription in wireless net with Windows
>>>XP SO
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>

> It's for reasons like this I wish I knew how to setup encryption on my
> laptop XP Pro and Linksys

April 27, 2005 6:58:19 AM

Well, all I want is to be able to enable encryption so the other people
in my neighborhood aren't always bleeding off my broadband. Sees like
certain individuals get on and and my cable modem speed goes from 54 to
somewhere around 11 I think (I hope) by using windows to encrypt this
may stop. But I can't seem to get any kind of connection unless I am in
Linksys properties and have Network authentication set to open and Data
encryption Disabled. :)  I do admit to being a newbie.

Fitz wrote:
> If you need any ideas...let me know. There's a lot of info available.
>

> "Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fitz wrote:
>>
>>>My reply is the same as I made to your earlier posts.
>>>
>>>The fact that you want to break into an encrypted network would seem to
>>>indicate that you're up to no good. The network is encrypted for a
>>>reason...that reason being to keep unauthorized persons from connecting
>>>it.
>>>
>>>Internet access is dirt cheap nowadays (even if it's only dialup). I
>>>would
>>>suggest that you fork over a few dollars and stay legal. The alternative
>>>would be to ask your neighbors to try to find out who has the internet
>>>access. Then you could offer them a few dollars and ask their permission
>>>join the network and still be legal. Or does that sound too hard?
>>>
>>>My network is encrypted because I don't like freeloaders on my nickel and
>>>browsing the contents of my computer. I bet your neighbors feel the same
>>>way but just ask them. You might be surprised.
>>>

>>>"Jose Prieto" <joseprietoll@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message

>>It's for reasons like this I wish I knew how to setup encryption on my
>>laptop XP Pro and Linksys

April 27, 2005 9:50:23 AM

I haven't fooled with a Linksys but I have with Belkin and D-Link routers.
I use WEP (128 bit because I also have a Windows 98 computer on the
network). My router properties show Open, alongside my long WEP key in the
#1 slot. You should have something similar. Your router settings should be
changed from a computer that is hardwired to your router. Make sure and
save changes. You may have to reboot your router and your computer. Change
your wireless computers by using the interface for the card or the wireless
settings for the network. Make sure the settings (keys) are identical to
each other. I further restrict access by using MAC address filtering. I'm
sure Linksys has something similar.

Have you tried the Linksys page?
http://www.linksysfix.com/check/filter/index2.htm?Calle... Seems like a
good source of info.

Post back if still having problems. Everybody was a newbie at one time.

> Well, all I want is to be able to enable encryption so the other people in
> my neighborhood aren't always bleeding off my broadband. Sees like certain
> individuals get on and and my cable modem speed goes from 54 to somewhere
> around 11 I think (I hope) by using windows to encrypt this may stop. But
> I can't seem to get any kind of connection unless I am in Linksys
> properties and have Network authentication set to open and Data encryption
> Disabled. :)  I do admit to being a newbie.
>

> Fitz wrote:
>> If you need any ideas...let me know. There's a lot of info available.
>>

>> "Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message

>>>It's for reasons like this I wish I knew how to setup encryption on my
>>>laptop XP Pro and Linksys

April 27, 2005 9:50:24 AM

Fitz wrote:
> I haven't fooled with a Linksys but I have with Belkin and D-Link routers.
> I use WEP (128 bit because I also have a Windows 98 computer on the
> network). My router properties show Open, alongside my long WEP key in the
> #1 slot. You should have something similar. Your router settings should be
> changed from a computer that is hardwired to your router.

Well my whole system is linksys (G) and I don't have it hardwired to a
computer. The card for my laptop just goes in the side of the computer
and my desktop computer in the other room, has an antenna off of card
that goes in a ISA slot. Do you mean I should take the router down out
of the closest hook a cable to it and change the setting that way??

Thanks

Make sure and
> save changes. You may have to reboot your router and your computer. Change
> your wireless computers by using the interface for the card or the wireless
> settings for the network. Make sure the settings (keys) are identical to
> each other. I further restrict access by using MAC address filtering. I'm
> sure Linksys has something similar.
>
> Have you tried the Linksys page?
> http://www.linksysfix.com/check/filter/index2.htm?Calle... Seems like a
> good source of info.
>
> Post back if still having problems. Everybody was a newbie at one time.
>

> "Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message
>
>>Well, all I want is to be able to enable encryption so the other people in
>>my neighborhood aren't always bleeding off my broadband. Sees like certain
>>individuals get on and and my cable modem speed goes from 54 to somewhere
>>around 11 I think (I hope) by using windows to encrypt this may stop. But
>>I can't seem to get any kind of connection unless I am in Linksys
>>properties and have Network authentication set to open and Data encryption
>>Disabled. :)  I do admit to being a newbie.
>>

>>Fitz wrote:
>>
>>>If you need any ideas...let me know. There's a lot of info available.
>>>

>>>"Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message

April 27, 2005 7:14:30 PM

Yeah...just temporarily while making the changes. If you enable encryption
wirelessly on your router, as soon as it takes effect, it'll disconnect you
because your computer is not using the correct key. After you know
everything is working OK then you can put it back in the closet. Also most
routers advise that when doing a firmware update to never do the update
wirelessly...always use a cable. Be sure and check that web link I gave
you. Seems pretty user friendly.

> Fitz wrote:
>> I haven't fooled with a Linksys but I have with Belkin and D-Link
>> routers. I use WEP (128 bit because I also have a Windows 98 computer on
>> the network). My router properties show Open, alongside my long WEP key
>> in the #1 slot. You should have something similar. Your router settings
>> should be changed from a computer that is hardwired to your router.
>
> Well my whole system is linksys (G) and I don't have it hardwired to a
> computer. The card for my laptop just goes in the side of the computer and
> my desktop computer in the other room, has an antenna off of card that
> goes in a ISA slot. Do you mean I should take the router down out of the
> closest hook a cable to it and change the setting that way??
>
> Thanks
>

> Make sure and
>> save changes. You may have to reboot your router and your computer.
>> Change your wireless computers by using the interface for the card or the
>> wireless settings for the network. Make sure the settings (keys) are
>> identical to each other. I further restrict access by using MAC address
>> filtering. I'm sure Linksys has something similar.
>>
>> Have you tried the Linksys page?
>> http://www.linksysfix.com/check/filter/index2.htm?Calle... Seems like
>> a good source of info.
>>
>> Post back if still having problems. Everybody was a newbie at one time.
>>

>> "Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Well, all I want is to be able to enable encryption so the other people
>>>in my neighborhood aren't always bleeding off my broadband. Sees like
>>>certain individuals get on and and my cable modem speed goes from 54 to
>>>somewhere around 11 I think (I hope) by using windows to encrypt this may
>>>stop. But I can't seem to get any kind of connection unless I am in
>>>Linksys properties and have Network authentication set to open and Data
>>>encryption Disabled. :)  I do admit to being a newbie.

April 27, 2005 7:14:31 PM

Ok, thanks. That is a lot clearer now. I didn't know it had to be
physically connected for it to take effect. I did check that site out
and your right it does seem to be user friendly and it did say I wasn't
connected to the router. (Probably because it wasn't hardwired.

I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Fitz wrote:
> Yeah...just temporarily while making the changes. If you enable encryption
> wirelessly on your router, as soon as it takes effect, it'll disconnect you
> because your computer is not using the correct key. After you know
> everything is working OK then you can put it back in the closet. Also most
> routers advise that when doing a firmware update to never do the update
> wirelessly...always use a cable. Be sure and check that web link I gave
> you. Seems pretty user friendly.
>

> "Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message
>
>>Fitz wrote:
>>
>>>I haven't fooled with a Linksys but I have with Belkin and D-Link
>>>routers. I use WEP (128 bit because I also have a Windows 98 computer on
>>>the network). My router properties show Open, alongside my long WEP key
>>>in the #1 slot. You should have something similar. Your router settings
>>>should be changed from a computer that is hardwired to your router.
>>
>>Well my whole system is linksys (G) and I don't have it hardwired to a
>>computer. The card for my laptop just goes in the side of the computer and
>>my desktop computer in the other room, has an antenna off of card that
>>goes in a ISA slot. Do you mean I should take the router down out of the
>>closest hook a cable to it and change the setting that way??
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>> Make sure and
>>
>>>save changes. You may have to reboot your router and your computer.
>>>Change your wireless computers by using the interface for the card or the
>>>wireless settings for the network. Make sure the settings (keys) are
>>>identical to each other. I further restrict access by using MAC address
>>>filtering. I'm sure Linksys has something similar.
>>>
>>>Have you tried the Linksys page?
>>>http://www.linksysfix.com/check/filter/index2.htm?Calle... Seems like
>>>a good source of info.
>>>
>>>Post back if still having problems. Everybody was a newbie at one time.
>>>

>>>"Scratch" <Little_time@few-years.com> wrote in message

April 27, 2005 7:14:31 PM

Fitz wrote:
> Yeah...just temporarily while making the changes. If you enable encryption
> wirelessly on your router, as soon as it takes effect, it'll disconnect you
> because your computer is not using the correct key. After you know
> everything is working OK then you can put it back in the closet. Also most
> routers advise that when doing a firmware update to never do the update
> wirelessly...always use a cable. Be sure and check that web link I gave
> you. Seems pretty user friendly.

It worked ! See all anyone had to do is explain it to me in DUH!
Language :)

Thanks again I am now Security Enabled.
April 28, 2005 10:49:12 AM

You're welcome. Glad it worked. Happy surfing!

> Fitz wrote:
>> Yeah...just temporarily while making the changes. If you enable
>> encryption wirelessly on your router, as soon as it takes effect, it'll
>> disconnect you because your computer is not using the correct key. After
>> you know everything is working OK then you can put it back in the closet.
>> Also most routers advise that when doing a firmware update to never do
>> the update wirelessly...always use a cable. Be sure and check that web
>> link I gave you. Seems pretty user friendly.
>
> It worked ! See all anyone had to do is explain it to me in DUH! Language
> :)
>

> Thanks again I am now Security Enabled.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2005 5:26:46 PM

Scratch wrote:
> Fitz wrote:
>> Yeah...just temporarily while making the changes. If you enable
>> encryption wirelessly on your router, as soon as it takes effect,
>> it'll disconnect you because your computer is not using the correct
>> key. After you know everything is working OK then you can put it
>> back in the closet. Also most routers advise that when doing a
>> firmware update to never do the update wirelessly...always use a
>> cable. Be sure and check that web link I gave you. Seems pretty
>> user friendly.
>
> It worked ! See all anyone had to do is explain it to me in DUH!
> Language :)
>

> Thanks again I am now Security Enabled.

There are some, myself included, that believe that everyone should have
a NAT router as the primary internet connection simply for the ability
to obscure each computer's IP address from the outside world, preventing
hackers, etc, from direct access. BTW, your router will also allow you
to set up MAC address filtering to prevent access to anyone but those
MAC addresses (your two computer wireless NICs) that you authorize.
With WEP and MAC address filtering, changing the network name from
Linksys to something else, changing the router access password you can
pretty much lock down the security on your network. Remember, the two
most popular ISPs are Linksys and Default.