BEEPS when attempt to power on PC

When I tried to power on my pc this morning, I got a series of 6 or 7 beeps
the first 2 times and my pc didn't turn on. The third try did turn it on.
What does this mean? Is it indications of serious problems?

thanks,
Wendy
check out my store!
www.booxtop.com

Malke

Wendy R wrote:

> When I tried to power on my pc this morning, I got a series of 6 or 7
> beeps the first 2 times and my pc didn't turn on. The third try did
> turn it on. What does this mean? Is it indications of serious
> problems?

The beeps are audible codes that are telling you something is wrong with
your motherboard. Look up the beep codes for your motherboard's BIOS.
Check your motherboard manual or:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=BIOS+beep+codes&btnG=Search

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I checked the website (thankyou) because I don't have a manual. According to
the sound of the beeps I heard.... 1...1,2,3...1,2,3,4....I must have a
Phoenix bios. If so, I have a bad motherboard or possibly power supply
problem. Chances are the motherboard....pretty old. IBM Pentium II.

2 questions.
I'm not sure of the quickest, least complicated way to back up my PC
(Windows XP). Should I try to copy individual files and programs onto CD's?
Is it possible to completely back up my entire system in one 'swoop'? I have
many files and photos I need to save.

If it is the motherboard, can I take it to our local computer technicians
for repair?

Thanks again.

--
Wendy
check out my store!
> Wendy R wrote:
>
>> When I tried to power on my pc this morning, I got a series of 6 or 7
>> beeps the first 2 times and my pc didn't turn on. The third try did
>> turn it on. What does this mean? Is it indications of serious
>> problems?
>>
> The beeps are audible codes that are telling you something is wrong with
> your motherboard. Look up the beep codes for your motherboard's BIOS.
> Check your motherboard manual or:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=BIOS+beep+codes&btnG=Search
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

It is an indication of a hardware problem. Look in your computer or
motherboard manual for "beep codes". It may lead you to something. Post back
(in this thread please) with what you find.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Wendy R" <swramsay@wwdb.org> wrote in message
> When I tried to power on my pc this morning, I got a series of 6 or 7
> beeps the first 2 times and my pc didn't turn on. The third try did turn
> it on. What does this mean? Is it indications of serious problems?
>
> thanks,
> Wendy
> check out my store!
> www.booxtop.com

Malke

Wendy R wrote:

> I checked the website (thankyou) because I don't have a manual.
> According to the sound of the beeps I heard....
> 1...1,2,3...1,2,3,4....I must have a
> Phoenix bios. If so, I have a bad motherboard or possibly power
> supply problem. Chances are the motherboard....pretty old. IBM Pentium
> II.
>
> 2 questions.
> I'm not sure of the quickest, least complicated way to back up my PC
> (Windows XP). Should I try to copy individual files and programs onto
> CD's? Is it possible to completely back up my entire system in one
> 'swoop'? I have many files and photos I need to save.
>
> If it is the motherboard, can I take it to our local computer
> technicians for repair?
>
> Thanks again.

The quickest, least complicated way to back up all your stuff is to
remove the hard drive and slave it in a working XP computer. I don't
think the issue is the power supply - usually if the power supply has
failed the computer just won't start. You don't normally get beeps.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Wendy

If you have the original XP installation media, and the media for your
installed programs, then all you have to do is back up whatever files you
have created or downloaded to CD.. and don't forget to back up your e-mail..

After the motherboard change, you run a repair install as outlined in this
website..

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com .. look down the menu on the left for
'repair'..

I can't remember each IBM board type, especially going back to PII's, but a
motherboard change may incur a case change too, unless you stick with an IBM
board of the same vintage.. this does not apply if you IBM board is of the
'ATX' variety..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

>I checked the website (thankyou) because I don't have a manual. According
>to the sound of the beeps I heard.... 1...1,2,3...1,2,3,4....I must have a
>Phoenix bios. If so, I have a bad motherboard or possibly power supply
>problem. Chances are the motherboard....pretty old. IBM Pentium II.
>
> 2 questions.
> I'm not sure of the quickest, least complicated way to back up my PC
> (Windows XP). Should I try to copy individual files and programs onto
> CD's? Is it possible to completely back up my entire system in one
> 'swoop'? I have many files and photos I need to save.
>
> If it is the motherboard, can I take it to our local computer technicians
> for repair?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> --
> Wendy
> check out my store!
> www.booxtop.com
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Wendy R wrote:
>>
>>> When I tried to power on my pc this morning, I got a series of 6 or 7
>>> beeps the first 2 times and my pc didn't turn on. The third try did
>>> turn it on. What does this mean? Is it indications of serious
>>> problems?
>>>
>> The beeps are audible codes that are telling you something is wrong with
>> your motherboard. Look up the beep codes for your motherboard's BIOS.
>> Check your motherboard manual or:
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=BIOS+beep+codes&btnG=Search
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Depending on what your local technicians charge, replacing a motherboard may
or may not be cost effective. If it's the type of place that has used
equipment and they have a compatible motherboard, it may be worth doing. But
if you're thinking of replacing it with a new motherboard, you're going to
need a new processor and new ram to go along with it, and probably a new
case and power supply. By the time all of that is done and you tack on the
labor for swapping the hardware around, and then reinstalling Windows, it
can be more expensive than a new computer.