Problem installing 1394 card in WinXP

Hi all:

I'm having trouble installing drivers for a firewire controller card in
my new machine.

The card is recycled from my previous machine. In that machine, it
showed up as the "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller" from
Microsoft - I believe the driver file is 1394bus.sys. Everything I've
read so far suggests it should be part of the XP OS itself. In fact
there is even a file called 1394bus.sy_ on the XP CD.

However, I can't seem to coax XP into installing the appropriate
driver.
When I go through the "Add New Hardware Wizard", I am unable to locate
"VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller" under any of the device
types.
When I choose to show all device types, I still don't find it under any
manufacturer.

Any ideas?

wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm having trouble installing drivers for a firewire controller card in
> my new machine.
>
> The card is recycled from my previous machine. In that machine, it
> showed up as the "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller" from
> Microsoft - I believe the driver file is 1394bus.sys. Everything I've
> read so far suggests it should be part of the XP OS itself. In fact
> there is even a file called 1394bus.sy_ on the XP CD.
>
> However, I can't seem to coax XP into installing the appropriate
> driver.
> When I go through the "Add New Hardware Wizard", I am unable to locate
> "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller" under any of the device
> types.
> When I choose to show all device types, I still don't find it under any
> manufacturer.
>
> Any ideas?

And what happened to the installation cdrom or diskette
that was originally supplied with the Firewire card? If
not available, then visit the website of the card's maker
and download the appropriate driver files. If necessary,
extract the drivers and follow the instructions to install
in the computer.

There was none.

I have a call into the tech support line for the manufacturer. However,
from what I've been able to piece together on the Web and Usenet, the
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Controller is something that is shipped
with Windows XP.

Is there a listing for it in device manager? How about in network
connections? What do these listings indicate - if they are present?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

<wiley.q.hacker@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> I'm having trouble installing drivers for a firewire controller card in
> my new machine.
>
> The card is recycled from my previous machine. In that machine, it
> showed up as the "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller" from
> Microsoft - I believe the driver file is 1394bus.sys. Everything I've
> read so far suggests it should be part of the XP OS itself. In fact
> there is even a file called 1394bus.sy_ on the XP CD.
>
> However, I can't seem to coax XP into installing the appropriate
> driver.
> When I go through the "Add New Hardware Wizard", I am unable to locate
> "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 controller" under any of the device
> types.
> When I choose to show all device types, I still don't find it under any
> manufacturer.
>
> Any ideas?

All I see in the Device Manager is "PCI Device", with the yellow
excalamation mark on the icon. Nothing in Network Connections.

Nope. Does not work. I've tried the obvious stuff already. I do believe
this problem is not an easy one to solve. Is there a way to get just
the "VIA OHCI..." driver in a separate bundle (ZIP file or such),
complete with an INF file, so I can see if I can force it?

Thanks, and regards.
--
Wiley

Remove the questionable PCI device from device manager. Reboot. See if it is
detected properly.

--

> All I see in the Device Manager is "PCI Device", with the yellow
> excalamation mark on the icon. Nothing in Network Connections.

Have you loaded the motherboard drivers for your particular M/B? If not, do
so. If you have, go to the manufacturer of your computer or M/B and obtain
the very latest M/B drivers. The companies issue new ones to solve for known
problems. You may be in that category.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

> Nope. Does not work. I've tried the obvious stuff already. I do believe
> this problem is not an easy one to solve. Is there a way to get just
> the "VIA OHCI..." driver in a separate bundle (ZIP file or such),
> complete with an INF file, so I can see if I can force it?
>
> Thanks, and regards.
> --
> Wiley

Done. I downloaded all the drivers, as well as the latest BIOS and
installed them last night. Still the same.

An interesting thing happened, though. The installer for the USB 2.0
Host Controller drivers for the motherboard kept exiting with no status
report. I do not know if that is normal behavior, or if there was a
problem. I do not know either if the driver was installed or not.

Point to note, however, is that the firewire functionality is an add-on
PCI card, not on the motherboard.

Does it begin to appear as if the motherboard is defective? I don't
know.

Had you mentioned that the firewire was on an add-on card, I would have told
you to move the card to another PCI slot much earlier. Do it now and see
what happens. Also, people never seem to suspect that the add-on card may be
defective. Does it work in another computer? Does another brand card work in
your computer.

My feeling is that I will always pay 5-10 dollars more for a quality, brand
name add-on card. I have a dual USB 2.0/Firewire card by Adaptec. I have
never had problems with their products.

--

> Done. I downloaded all the drivers, as well as the latest BIOS and
> installed them last night. Still the same.
>
> An interesting thing happened, though. The installer for the USB 2.0
> Host Controller drivers for the motherboard kept exiting with no status
> report. I do not know if that is normal behavior, or if there was a
> problem. I do not know either if the driver was installed or not.
>
> Point to note, however, is that the firewire functionality is an add-on
> PCI card, not on the motherboard.
>
> Does it begin to appear as if the motherboard is defective? I don't
> know.

Thanks Richard. I tried swapping the card into a different slot, and it
worked!

I apologize if I was not clear enough in my first post, and caused
confusion.

Anyway, I thought it may be that particular PCI slot that was
defective, so I tried putting in another card there - a modem. The
machine recognized the card just fine and installed the appropriate
drivers. So, now I am confused whether the slot works properly or not.

Typically, when something like this happens, do we consider the
motherboard faulty, or is it "just one of those things"? Should I ask
for a replacement?

Once again, thanks a lot for your help.

Just a resource allocation problem that moving the card took care of.