Error: Extended RAM failed at offset

August 23, 2005 11:54:04 PM

What does this error message mean? I just installed 256 MB of RAM to meet the
max that my computer will allow for upgrade...i need some help
August 24, 2005 12:44:06 AM

stressed wrote:

> What does this error message mean? I just installed 256 MB of RAM to
> meet the max that my computer will allow for upgrade...i need some
> help

It means that the RAM you bought is either bad or not compatible with
your motherboard. Refer to your motherboard manual or contact the
computer mftr. if the machine is OEM (Dell, Sony, etc.) for the type of
RAM you need and if the machine requires sticks to be in a certain
combination, slot placement (largest amount in slot 1 for instance),
etc.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Malke" wrote:

> stressed wrote:
>
> > What does this error message mean? I just installed 256 MB of RAM to
> > meet the max that my computer will allow for upgrade...i need some
> > help
>
> It means that the RAM you bought is either bad or not compatible with
> your motherboard. Refer to your motherboard manual or contact the
> computer mftr. if the machine is OEM (Dell, Sony, etc.) for the type of
> RAM you need and if the machine requires sticks to be in a certain
> combination, slot placement (largest amount in slot 1 for instance),
> etc.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

i rearraged the order so that the 256 was in slot 1 and the 64's in slots 2
and 3...now when i turn on my computer no image is sent to my moniter, the
moniter remains blank with the moniter on...
Related resources
August 24, 2005 2:11:45 PM

stressed wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> stressed wrote:
>>
>> > What does this error message mean? I just installed 256 MB of RAM
>> > to meet the max that my computer will allow for upgrade...i need
>> > some help
>>

> i rearraged the order so that the 256 was in slot 1 and the 64's in
> slots 2 and 3...now when i turn on my computer no image is sent to my
> moniter, the moniter remains blank with the moniter on...

Then you know some hardware isn't working correctly. Do you get any beep
codes? I'm afraid that without knowing more about your computer's
hardware, it is not possible to diagnose the problem(s). Perhaps this
is an older computer and other hardware is failing or marginal? There
isn't any way for me to guess.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:25:04 PM

jes

"Malke" wrote:

> stressed wrote:
>
> > What does this error message mean? I just installed 256 MB of RAM to
> > meet the max that my computer will allow for upgrade...i need some
> > help
>
> It means that the RAM you bought is either bad or not compatible with
> your motherboard. Refer to your motherboard manual or contact the
> computer mftr. if the machine is OEM (Dell, Sony, etc.) for the type of
> RAM you need and if the machine requires sticks to be in a certain
> combination, slot placement (largest amount in slot 1 for instance),
> etc.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:23:07 PM

"stressed" <stressed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> stressed wrote:
>>
>> > What does this error message mean? I just installed 256 MB of RAM to
>> > meet the max that my computer will allow for upgrade...i need some
>> > help
>>
>> It means that the RAM you bought is either bad or not compatible with
>> your motherboard. Refer to your motherboard manual or contact the
>> computer mftr. if the machine is OEM (Dell, Sony, etc.) for the type of
>> RAM you need and if the machine requires sticks to be in a certain
>> combination, slot placement (largest amount in slot 1 for instance),
>> etc.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> i rearraged the order so that the 256 was in slot 1 and the 64's in slots
> 2
> and 3...now when i turn on my computer no image is sent to my moniter, the
> moniter remains blank with the moniter on...

So it's pretty obvious the ram is bad or incompatible. This isn't something
that can be fixed with software. You need to remove the ram, and replace it
with something that is both working and compatible with your computer.
!