overclocking ecs l7vmm3 (with athlon 2200 cpu)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at 2.5
gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a top fsb of
149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86 gHz. I
should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this? I'm a
novice at this, and would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Tom
12 answers Last reply
More about overclocking l7vmm3 with athlon 2200
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    tomW wrote:

    > Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at 2.5
    > gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a top fsb of
    > 149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86 gHz. I
    > should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this? I'm a
    > novice at this, and would appreciate the help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom

    What makes you think it should run 2.5 gig?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:32:52 -0700, tomW wrote:

    > Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at 2.5
    > gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a top fsb of
    > 149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86 gHz. I
    > should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this? I'm a
    > novice at this, and would appreciate the help.

    Without overclocking the MB, it's capable of 24x133.34MHz FSB for about
    3200MHz. To achieve 2500MHz, you will need an unlocked cpu capable of
    those speeds. maybe a new mobile, but not likely with an older 2200+. BTW,
    if you get 1860MHz with a 149Mhz FSB then you've got the mutliplier set to
    12.5.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    tomW wrote:
    > Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at
    > 2.5 gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a
    > top fsb of 149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86
    > gHz. I
    > should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this?
    > I'm a novice at this, and would appreciate the help.

    As with all "motherboard + CPU" ECS motherboards, you've been scammed, sorry
    to say (though you actually seem to know what CPU you've got, which is
    better than most). You've actually done not too badly out of it. Most people
    buying L7VMM3's end up with Duron 1600's or 1800's, but assuming that you
    haven't changed the multiplier, you've got a Mobile XP2200+ (1667MHz Barton,
    133MHz FSB), running at stock (not overclocked by default). However, the
    chipset used on the board is the fairly ancient Via KM266 so you're not
    going to get a FSB above about 150MHz.

    So, you've got to increase the multiplier. Pretty much the only way I
    recommend doing it (assuming your board does not support multiplier changes)
    is by painting pins. If your CPU is soldered onto the board, then you will
    have to do painting on the back of the motherboard. If it's removable, then
    I recommend you paint the pins on the CPU itself.

    If the changes aren't "sticking", then the BIOS is probably kicking the CPU
    back to the multiplier specified by the L6 bridges using PowerNow. In this
    case you either have to cut and rejoin the L6's to specify your multiplier,
    or take the more recommended route of cutting the 3rd L5 bridge to disable
    PowerNow capability.

    A mobile 2200 will probably top out somewhere around 2.2 to 2.3GHz,
    depending on what sort of cooling you have, what sort of chip it is, and how
    high you push the voltage. Posting the three lines of codes on top of the
    CPU will enable better prediction of what the CPU is capable of (as well as
    confirming exactly what CPU you have). You'll be wanting to run your FSB as
    high as you can, so assuming you have no multiplier adjustment facilities,
    painting a multiplier of 15.0 will probably be a good starting point and
    give you a bit of an idea of what the chip is capable of.

    --
    Michael Brown
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Thanks for the response. I'm assuming I need to do something like this?
    http://www.upgrade123.com/html/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30
    (you need to highlight the text; select all)

    This looks challenging, but I'll give it a go if it means I can get higher
    gHz.

    By the way, this is the info on the cpu:
    AXDA2000DXV3C 4157203972343
    KIUHB0342MPM
    1999 AMD

    Thanks
    Tom
    "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
    > tomW wrote:
    >> Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at
    >> 2.5 gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a
    >> top fsb of 149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86
    >> gHz. I
    >> should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this?
    >> I'm a novice at this, and would appreciate the help.
    >
    > As with all "motherboard + CPU" ECS motherboards, you've been scammed,
    > sorry
    > to say (though you actually seem to know what CPU you've got, which is
    > better than most). You've actually done not too badly out of it. Most
    > people
    > buying L7VMM3's end up with Duron 1600's or 1800's, but assuming that you
    > haven't changed the multiplier, you've got a Mobile XP2200+ (1667MHz
    > Barton,
    > 133MHz FSB), running at stock (not overclocked by default). However, the
    > chipset used on the board is the fairly ancient Via KM266 so you're not
    > going to get a FSB above about 150MHz.
    >
    > So, you've got to increase the multiplier. Pretty much the only way I
    > recommend doing it (assuming your board does not support multiplier
    > changes)
    > is by painting pins. If your CPU is soldered onto the board, then you will
    > have to do painting on the back of the motherboard. If it's removable,
    > then
    > I recommend you paint the pins on the CPU itself.
    >
    > If the changes aren't "sticking", then the BIOS is probably kicking the
    > CPU
    > back to the multiplier specified by the L6 bridges using PowerNow. In this
    > case you either have to cut and rejoin the L6's to specify your
    > multiplier,
    > or take the more recommended route of cutting the 3rd L5 bridge to disable
    > PowerNow capability.
    >
    > A mobile 2200 will probably top out somewhere around 2.2 to 2.3GHz,
    > depending on what sort of cooling you have, what sort of chip it is, and
    > how
    > high you push the voltage. Posting the three lines of codes on top of the
    > CPU will enable better prediction of what the CPU is capable of (as well
    > as
    > confirming exactly what CPU you have). You'll be wanting to run your FSB
    > as
    > high as you can, so assuming you have no multiplier adjustment facilities,
    > painting a multiplier of 15.0 will probably be a good starting point and
    > give you a bit of an idea of what the chip is capable of.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Brown
    > www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
    > Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    tomW wrote:
    > Thanks for the response. I'm assuming I need to do something like
    > this?
    > http://www.upgrade123.com/html/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30
    > (you need to highlight the text; select all)
    > This looks challenging, but I'll give it a go if it means I can get
    > higher gHz.
    >
    > By the way, this is the info on the cpu:
    > AXDA2000DXV3C 4157203972343
    > KIUHB0342MPM
    > 1999 AMD

    you need to unlock your xp2000, it's a t bred B core, which will go up to
    2.3ghz, 2.5ghz at best (if you have the right stuff)

    the key is to unlock it, i wouldn't recommend it though, you have to mess
    about with the connections on the top of the cpu (pins)

    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=418&MenuID=0&LanID=8

    but as others have pointed out, you got scammed, not too bad, some poeple
    have bought amd pro 3200, whatever they are, nothing but relabled cpu's,
    hence your amd 2200 is really an xp2000

    also not sure about tbred B, it might be a T bred A, don't think so though
    next time buy some decent kit, in the mean time learn about fsb and
    multiplyers, also locked pci and agp bus, and what motherboards/chipset
    combo's work best

    best combo for amd for xp cpu's is
    nforce 2 ultra 400 chipset (abit AN7, or NF7)
    xp2500
    pc3200 ram

    simple case of running the system at 200fsb, instead of 166mhz, and you get
    an xp3200

    toms hardware is good site to learn about new stuff, and what it really
    does, what to avoid and such
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    tomW wrote:
    > Thanks for the response. I'm assuming I need to do something like
    > this?
    > http://www.upgrade123.com/html/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30
    > (you need to highlight the text; select all)
    >
    > This looks challenging, but I'll give it a go if it means I can get
    > higher gHz.

    It's probably going to be a fair bit easier that what that page says (see
    below).

    > By the way, this is the info on the cpu:
    > AXDA2000DXV3C 4157203972343
    > KIUHB0342MPM
    > 1999 AMD

    OK, so it loks pretty much just like a stock Athlon XP 2000+ (TBred B).
    It'll probably be good to 2GHz at stock, 2.2GHz or so if you nudge the vcore
    up a bit. However, there are two unusual things in these lines:
    1) First line: You sure it's not AXDA2000D***K***V3C? An X indicates 1.25V
    (as opposed to the standard 1.65 specified by the K).
    2) Second line: You've got one of the fairly uncommon chips without a W at
    the end :)

    Also, it's a week 42 2003 chip, so it is almost certainly locked. This means
    that you cannot change the multiplier through any of the "normal" means
    (bridge modifications, painting pins, etc). What you'll have to do is
    mobilise the chip (fill in the 3rd L5), enable PowerNow multipliers above
    11x (fill in the 2nd L5), then change the multiplier in your OS of choice
    using one of the many tools out there (CPUMSR, CrystalCPUID, etc etc).
    You'll also have to make sure that your BIOS won't kick the CPU up to the
    maximum PowerNow multiplier. I can easily check that, but I can't do it
    until my ISP gets its DNS issues sorted out (see my rant below). If you
    don't want to do this, then you're stuck at the default multiplier, so
    you're not going to get the chip much further than you already have.

    Which brings me to rant a little about my ISP (you can stop reading now :) )
    .... Xtra/Telecom has a great little page where they can show you if there's
    any problems at the moment. This is all great, as long as they would
    actually USE the thing. I can recall at least 10 times where I've had an
    issue with my connection, checked the page and seen "no issues", called them
    up and got someone who was adament there was no issues, and then over the
    phone step them through exactly how to reproduce the problem. And I'm not
    talking "little" problems either. I'm talking things like their DNS server
    (which seems terribly flaky) returning completely wrong or corrupted data on
    about 50% of the queries. Heck, one time they lost a decent chunk (can't
    remember the exact size and can't google it at the moment) of their network
    because several switches fell over, and the first many people heard of any
    sort of aknowledgement of a problem was in an article in the newspaper the
    next day.

    After I demonstrate it, they say something along the lines of "Oh dear,
    we'll look into it right away". Two hours later, the problem still won't be
    fixed, and there will still be no message saying that there's a network
    problem. Ah well, I guess that's what you get when you've got a monopolistic
    telco that doesn't give a damn about it's customers because they've got
    nowhere else to go :|

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    You're right, i read the cpu info wrong. It's 1.65v.

    As for PowerNow, I don't think my system supports it. I'm not entirely sure
    though. How do I verify this? If I don't have PowerNow, then I'm stuck
    with what I have?

    By the way here is info from crystalCPUID:
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    CrystalCPUID 2.0.11.20 (C) 2002-2003 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World [http://crystalmark.info/]
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    OS : Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    Date : 2004/09/23 16:10:06

    CPU Name : AMD Athlon XP (Thoroughbred)
    Vendor String : AuthenticAMD
    Name String : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+
    Process Rule : 0.13 um
    Platform : Socket A
    CPU Type : Original OEM processor
    Number(Logical) : 1
    Family : 6
    Generation : 7
    Model : 8
    Stepping : 0
    Feature : MMX SSE MMX+ 3DNow! 3DNow!+

    Current Original
    Clock : 1862.47 MHz 1666.67 MHz
    System Clock : 149.00 MHz 133.33 MHz
    System Bus : 298.00 MHz 266.67 MHz
    Multiplier : 12.50 12.50
    Data Rate : DDR
    Over Clock : 11.75 %

    L1 I-Cache : 64 KB
    L1 D-Cache : 64 KB
    L2 Cache : 256 KB [Full:1862.47 MHz]

    CPUID : EAX EBX ECX EDX
    00000000 : 00000001 68747541 444D4163 69746E65
    00000001 : 00000680 00000000 00000000 0383F9FF
    80000000 : 80000008 68747541 444D4163 69746E65
    80000001 : 00000780 00000000 00000000 C1C3F9FF
    80000002 : 20444D41 6C687441 74286E6F 5820296D
    80000003 : 30322050 002B3030 00000000 00000000
    80000004 : 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
    80000005 : 0408FF08 FF20FF10 40020140 40020140
    80000006 : 00000000 41004100 01008140 00000000
    80000007 : 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000001
    80000008 : 00002022 00000000 00000000 00000000

    MSR : EAX1 EDX1 EAX2 EDX2
    : 03031008 00000000 00000000 00000000
    QPF : 3.579545 MHz

    Thanks

    Btw, maybe you should change your ISP!

> [...]
    > on
    > about 50% of the queries. Heck, one time they lost a decent chunk (can't
    > remember the exact size and can't google it at the moment) of their
    > network
    > because several switches fell over, and the first many people heard of any
    > sort of aknowledgement of a problem was in an article in the newspaper the
    > next day.
    >
    > After I demonstrate it, they say something along the lines of "Oh dear,
    > we'll look into it right away". Two hours later, the problem still won't
    > be
    > fixed, and there will still be no message saying that there's a network
    > problem. Ah well, I guess that's what you get when you've got a
    > monopolistic
    > telco that doesn't give a damn about it's customers because they've got

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:12:10 -0700, tomW wrote:

    > Family : 6
    > Model : 8
    > Stepping : 0
    >
    > Current Original
    > Clock : 1862.47 MHz 1666.67 MHz

    It's a Tbred A core. IOW's it's very close to being maxed out as far as
    the speed it will run so forget trying for more speed. If it were a B core
    (681) then you could get more out of it if you could change the mutliplier
    or raise the FSB.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    tomW wrote:
    > You're right, i read the cpu info wrong. It's 1.65v.
    >
    > As for PowerNow, I don't think my system supports it. I'm not
    > entirely sure though. How do I verify this?

    The l7vmm3 is based on the via KT266 chipset, which supports PowerNow. I've
    had a bit of a look at the BIOS, and it looks as though it will *probably*
    default to the maximum software FID on boot. This is not a Good Thing. I
    know where/what needs to be patched, but I've never tried messing around
    with an AMI BIOS before, so I'm not sure where all the checksums and stuff
    are. If your board doesn't have a soldered-on and you get a BIOS saviour
    I'll be happy to cook you up a patched BIOS that won't set it to the maximum
    on boot.

    > If I don't have
    > PowerNow, then I'm stuck with what I have?

    Yes.

    [...]

    > Btw, maybe you should change your ISP!

    I would if there was any other option. The trouble is that the telco owns
    the entire infrastructure from top to bottom: it owns the lines, the
    national IP network, the international links, etc etc. So "competing" ISPs
    are pretty much just big customers of Xtra, so are hit by the same problems.
    Not to mention that if there's any serious competition to Xtra, Telecom
    changes their charging scheme to get rid of it. Think Microsoft monopolistic
    styles, but 10x worse because the government watchdog that's meant to be
    keeping Telecom somewhat constrained is completely under Telecom's little
    finger.

    In my particular case, I have ADSL, where there is absolutely no
    competition. "Competing" providers are just resellers of Xtra's ADSL plans,
    and due to careful planning of the charging scheme, most offer worse service
    than Telecom. Your DSL charges are made up of two parts, one to Telecom for
    the DSL line and one to your ISP. The ISP charge is $NZ10 or less, and the
    DSL line charge is $NZ40 or more. Also, the lines are sold with bandwidth
    packages (eg 500mb + x cents per meg above that) so ISPs can't do things
    like offer flat rate packages or ISP-local download servers. For the $10
    that the ISP gets, it has to buy all its international/national bandwidth
    (from Telecom, of course) as well as providing tech support and all that.

    Oh, did I mention that they charge like wounded bulls too?
    "Full speed" (2mbit/sec to 6mbit/sec downstream, 600kbit/sec upstream):
    [] 500MB/month : $60/month + 20cents/meg over cap
    [] 1GB/month : $80/month + 20cents/meg over cap
    [] 1.2GB/month : $138/month + 17cents/meg over cap
    [] 1.8GB/month : $194/month + 16cents/meg over cap
    [] 3GB/month : $310/month + 14cents/meg over cap
    [] higher caps but I think you get the idea ...
    256kb/sec downstream, 128kb/sec upstream:
    [] 1GB/month : $50/month + 5cents/meg over cap
    [] 3GB/month : $60/month + 5cents/meg over cap
    [] 10GB/month : $80/month + downgraded to 64kbit/sec after 10GB
    128kb/sec downstream, 128kb/sec upstream:
    [] 5GB/month : $65/month + 10cents/meg over cap, national data free

    Wages in New Zealand are approximately the same as US ones, in the sense
    that a $NZ30K/yr job in New Zealand is a $US30K/yr in the US.

    But this is really getting off-topic now so I'll stop ranting :)

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    What happens if I just set the L3 bridges for 15X multiplier? Will this
    have no effect at all? Is there a chance that if I do this my computer
    won't start?

    > tomW wrote:
    >> You're right, i read the cpu info wrong. It's 1.65v.
    >>
    >> As for PowerNow, I don't think my system supports it. I'm not
    >> entirely sure though. How do I verify this?
    >
    > The l7vmm3 is based on the via KT266 chipset, which supports PowerNow.
    > I've
    > had a bit of a look at the BIOS, and it looks as though it will *probably*
    > default to the maximum software FID on boot. This is not a Good Thing. I
    > know where/what needs to be patched, but I've never tried messing around
    > with an AMI BIOS before, so I'm not sure where all the checksums and stuff
    > are. If your board doesn't have a soldered-on and you get a BIOS saviour
    > I'll be happy to cook you up a patched BIOS that won't set it to the
    > maximum
    > on boot.
    >
    >> If I don't have
    >> PowerNow, then I'm stuck with what I have?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > [...]
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    tomW wrote:
    > What happens if I just set the L3 bridges for 15X multiplier? Will
    > this have no effect at all?

    Correct. From another post I did ...

    Michael Brown wrote:
    > There's three states an Athlon can be in
    > 1) Unlocked. You can change the multiplier using pin painting, etc to
    > whatever you want.
    > 2) Locked by AMD severing the L1 bridges. Multiplier adjustments
    > through pin painting, BIOS settings, etc will have no effect. You
    > have to rejoin the L1 bridges, which changes the CPU into state 1
    > (ie: full multiplier control).
    > 3) Locked by AMD storing the
    > multiplier inside the die. Multiplier adjustments through pin
    > painting, BIOS settings, etc will have no effect. There is nothing
    > you can do to this CPU to enable pin-painting/BIOS multiplier changes.

    You CPU is almost certainly case #3, so modifications of the startup
    multiplier (L3 bridges, pin painting, BIOS settings, etc) will not have any
    effect.

    tomW wrote:
    > Is there a chance that if I do this my
    > computer won't start?

    If you do it correctly, no. If you muck up the cutting, yes. :)

    [...]

    --
    Michael Brown
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    I just realized my cpu is a 5 bit athlon. Does this make any difference?
    "tomW" <tom24_ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at 2.5
    > gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a top fsb
    > of 149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86 gHz. I
    > should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this? I'm
    > a novice at this, and would appreciate the help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Tom

AMD Overclocking Hardware ECS CPUs