Hi

Due to a problem with a 5port USB PCI card which I have added to my
computer, I have to flash my bios (in the hope that this will resolve the
problem)

I'm already nervous as I know this operation can end in tears.

Anyway, the instructions told me to extract the files onto a bootable floopy
disk and to then boot the system from the disk.

But Windows indicated that the files were too large for the disquette
although when I looked, this didn't seem to be so.

Anyway, I got the files onto the disquette by extracting them first onto my
HD and then copying them onto the disquette (yes , they fitted on)

Now , when I try to boot from the disquette, the bios tells me that the
disquette does not have a recognised system.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Dave Neve

fred

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Due to a problem with a 5port USB PCI card which I have added to my
> computer, I have to flash my bios (in the hope that this will resolve the
> problem)
>
> I'm already nervous as I know this operation can end in tears.
>
> Anyway, the instructions told me to extract the files onto a bootable
> floopy
> disk and to then boot the system from the disk.
>
> But Windows indicated that the files were too large for the disquette
> although when I looked, this didn't seem to be so.
>
> Anyway, I got the files onto the disquette by extracting them first onto
> my HD and then copying them onto the disquette (yes , they fitted on)
>
> Now , when I try to boot from the disquette, the bios tells me that the
> disquette does not have a recognised system.

> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

How did you create the boot floppy, it appears that it's does not have an OS
on it, that's what your pc is telling you. You can download a bootable
floppy image from bootdisk.com.

Dave

Before you kill your computer completely, please tell us what problem you
have with your 5 port USB PCI card that you think a BIOS flash will cure..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Due to a problem with a 5port USB PCI card which I have added to my
> computer, I have to flash my bios (in the hope that this will resolve the
> problem)
>
> I'm already nervous as I know this operation can end in tears.
>
> Anyway, the instructions told me to extract the files onto a bootable
> floopy
> disk and to then boot the system from the disk.
>
> But Windows indicated that the files were too large for the disquette
> although when I looked, this didn't seem to be so.
>
> Anyway, I got the files onto the disquette by extracting them first onto
> my HD and then copying them onto the disquette (yes , they fitted on)
>
> Now , when I try to boot from the disquette, the bios tells me that the
> disquette does not have a recognised system.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

Thw BIOS flash would probabily NOT fix your PCI USB card problem. Before
doing the flash, read up on "what" the BIOS flash update is "giving" to the
BIOS (ie: what does it fix?)

What is the problem with the 5 port USB PCI card? have you tried a
different PCI slot? (Note: PCI slots are noy the same as PCI-X or
PCIExpress (PCI-e) slots!)

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Due to a problem with a 5port USB PCI card which I have added to my
> computer, I have to flash my bios (in the hope that this will resolve the
> problem)
>
> I'm already nervous as I know this operation can end in tears.
>
> Anyway, the instructions told me to extract the files onto a bootable
> floopy
> disk and to then boot the system from the disk.
>
> But Windows indicated that the files were too large for the disquette
> although when I looked, this didn't seem to be so.
>
> Anyway, I got the files onto the disquette by extracting them first onto
> my HD and then copying them onto the disquette (yes , they fitted on)
>
> Now , when I try to boot from the disquette, the bios tells me that the
> disquette does not have a recognised system.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:00:07 +0200, "Dave Neve"
<NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Due to a problem with a 5port USB PCI card which I have added to my
>computer, I have to flash my bios (in the hope that this will resolve the
>problem)
>
>I'm already nervous as I know this operation can end in tears.
>
>Anyway, the instructions told me to extract the files onto a bootable floopy
>disk and to then boot the system from the disk.
>
>But Windows indicated that the files were too large for the disquette
>although when I looked, this didn't seem to be so.
>
>Anyway, I got the files onto the disquette by extracting them first onto my
>HD and then copying them onto the disquette (yes , they fitted on)
>
>Now , when I try to boot from the disquette, the bios tells me that the
>disquette does not have a recognised system.
>
>Any ideas please?
>
>Thanks
>
>Dave Neve

BIOS problems and flashes have nothing to do with XP. Post this in a
relevant group, preferably one that deals with the hardware in
question.

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Due to a problem with a 5port USB PCI card which I have added to my
> computer, I have to flash my bios (in the hope that this will resolve the
> problem)
>
> I'm already nervous as I know this operation can end in tears.
>
> Anyway, the instructions told me to extract the files onto a bootable
floopy
> disk and to then boot the system from the disk.
>
> But Windows indicated that the files were too large for the disquette
> although when I looked, this didn't seem to be so.
>
> Anyway, I got the files onto the disquette by extracting them first onto
my
> HD and then copying them onto the disquette (yes , they fitted on)
>
> Now , when I try to boot from the disquette, the bios tells me that the
> disquette does not have a recognised system.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Neve

Perhaps you used a 720 kByte diskette instead of a 1.44 MByte?
Did you try another one? Freshly formatted?

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

<<snipped>>

> Perhaps you used a 720 kByte diskette instead of a 1.44 MByte?
> Did you try another one? Freshly formatted?

FWIW, it is pretty darn difficult finding a 720-KB floppy
diskette these days. More typical would have been the OP's
attempt to create a bootable floppy diskette from Windows
XP (this being a Windows XP forum, on a 1.44-MB diskette..

There are still a number of bioses that require a bootable
floppy diskette. The requisite bootable OS is still MS-DOS
and even Windows 9X, and can be created from them via the
SYS A: command. The system files can even be downloaded from
http://www.bootdisk.com/.

But thank goodness for newer bioses that use EZ-Flash...no
more need for bootable floppy diskettes; just a formatted
one for the copy of the bios ROM file.

Thanks everyone

The symtom with the 5 card USB is that two ports are working ok but I can't
get Windows to recognise anything else plugged in such as an MPEG player or
external HD

The idea of flashing the bios came from an article where it said the power
supply to the PCI slot may need to be changed in the bios to power all these
extra peripherals.

An old bios may have some settings which aren't compatible with a 5port
card.

What do you think?

Thanks

q01qg191ak2s7884q20fbtf9cefq2l59do@4ax.com...

Dave Neve wrote:
> Thanks everyone
>
> The symtom with the 5 card USB is that two ports are working ok but I can't
> get Windows to recognise anything else plugged in such as an MPEG player or
> external HD
>
> The idea of flashing the bios came from an article where it said the power
> supply to the PCI slot may need to be changed in the bios to power all these
> extra peripherals.
>
> An old bios may have some settings which aren't compatible with a 5port
> card.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks

This is a hardware issue. Take a very look through the
motherboard manual in regards to utilization of the USB
ports that are onboard. It may be true that there might be
power limitations. OTOH, a powered hub might mitigate the
extra burden on the power being supplied via the onboard
USB from the PCI power bus.

Flashing a motherboard bios is serious business and should
not be done unless it is really needed. Again, follow very
explicitly the instructions in the motherboard manual.