Hard drives Disconnecting only the power connector

Vlad

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2001

I have hard drives that I rarely use an in order to prolong their life
I disconnect the 4 pin power connector.
Am I creating any problem by not disconnecting the 80 conductor
cable ?
Thanks

Vlad

You are not creating a problem by not disconnecting the IDE cable. However,
you should know that today's hard drives can spin 24/7 for many years,
almost certainly longer than you will be using the computer, without any
problems.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Vlad" <x@> wrote in message
> I have hard drives that I rarely use an in order to prolong their life
> I disconnect the 4 pin power connector.
> Am I creating any problem by not disconnecting the 80 conductor
> cable ?
> Thanks
>
> Vlad

You may be prolonging the drive's life but you are doing nothing about the
power connector.

"Vlad" <x@> wrote in message
>I have hard drives that I rarely use an in order to prolong their life
> I disconnect the 4 pin power connector.
> Am I creating any problem by not disconnecting the 80 conductor
> cable ?
> Thanks
>
> Vlad

Vlad

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2001

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:20:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
wrote:

>You are not creating a problem by not disconnecting the IDE cable. However,
>you should know that today's hard drives can spin 24/7 for many years,
>almost certainly longer than you will be using the computer, without any
>problems.

Lately I have replaced 5 hard drives . All of them about 5 years old.
That was the main reason to have them OFF.

At one time I installed 4 dpdt switches to enable the power supply
disconnect of the drives. I have since remove them but, based on your
information, I am thinking of installing a single switch to turn off
the power on 2 hard drives. I want them to last longer them me. I am
not asking much, I am 75.

I know that there is a future project on the way that allows the
switching of the power of the drives that are compatible with the
new system . This is mainly to conserve power.

Thanks for the help

Vlad

Vlad

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2001

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:52:08 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
<yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>You may be prolonging the drive's life but you are doing nothing about the
>power connector.

True but that connector must have been specified by a power company.
Compare with the new ones used on the serial drives. From one extreme
to the other.

Regards

Vlad

"Vlad" <x@> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:20:45 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>You are not creating a problem by not disconnecting the IDE cable.
>>However,
>>you should know that today's hard drives can spin 24/7 for many years,
>>almost certainly longer than you will be using the computer, without any
>>problems.
>
> Lately I have replaced 5 hard drives . All of them about 5 years old.
> That was the main reason to have them OFF.

That's interesting. I've replaced more customer hard drives because of
failures in the last month than in the previous 7 years at this location.
I've had a few of my own drives go bad.

And there's nothing in common among these drives -- different ages,
different manufacturers, different types of drives.