motherboard with integrated video

Hi,
I have a Amd XP1600+ with Aopen AK77 pro motherboard + Geforce 2Ti.
New 512 mb 2700 Kingston memory and the rest is also quit new.
I want to update processor + motherboard and video and keep my memory.
I can choose between an Amd XP2500+ mobile and for a little more a
XP3000+.
What is a good motherboard with integrated video suitable for
overclocking the XP2500+ mobile or should I stay save with a XP3000+.
Are there any problems with the memory?
Thanks,
Bob
3 answers Last reply
More about motherboard integrated video

    > I have a Amd XP1600+ with Aopen AK77 pro motherboard + Geforce 2Ti.
    > New 512 mb 2700 Kingston memory and the rest is also quit new.
    > I want to update processor + motherboard and video and keep my memory.
    > I can choose between an Amd XP2500+ mobile and for a little more a
    > XP3000+.
    > What is a good motherboard with integrated video suitable for
    > overclocking the XP2500+ mobile or should I stay save with a XP3000+.
    > Are there any problems with the memory?

    The XP3000+ (as I'm sure you already know) have a locked multiplier. That
    means that raising the FSB will be the method for overclocking, and with the
    DDR2700 memory, you might not get much above 333. Of course, with the 3000+
    already running at 2.16 GHz, it won't take much of an FSB increase before it
    hits its limits. (even if the CPU were stable at 2.3 GHz, that's still only
    an FSB of 352).

    If I were in that position, I'd probably go with the mobile 2500+, because
    (a) you can first find your max memory speed, then adjust the multiplier,
    (b) it'll probably overclock just as far as the 3000+, and (c) it's a lot
    cheaper. You could put the saved money toward a high-quality HSF.

    Of course, if the return policy of the company who sold you the memory
    would let you return it and buy some PC3200 (or higher) memory, that would
    make the XP-M even more attractive. Get the memory/FSB as high as you can
    with stability, then start playing with the multiplier. A regular 2500+
    would be a bit cheaper, and at an FSB of 400, hits exactly 2.2 GHz ("3200+"
    speeds), but the XP-M will give you more flexibility, and possibly a higher
    potential clock speed.

    steve

    > What is a good motherboard with integrated video suitable for
    > overclocking the XP2500+ mobile or should I stay save with a XP3000+.
    > Are there any problems with the memory?

    I wouldn't recommend integrated video for overclocking. It's likely to
    hold back your memory speed, not to mention make it harder to find
    compatible memory (the integrated video chipsets are particularly picky;
    make sure a particular brand is compatible before buying).

    Besides, your GeForce2 Ti, with its dedicated 128-bit memory, is
    probably faster than an nForce2 IGP anyway.

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:40:08 -0600, Lachoneus
    <lachoneus@nonexistent.invalid> wrote:

    >> What is a good motherboard with integrated video suitable for
    >> overclocking the XP2500+ mobile or should I stay save with a XP3000+.
    >> Are there any problems with the memory?
    >
    >I wouldn't recommend integrated video for overclocking. It's likely to
    >hold back your memory speed, not to mention make it harder to find
    >compatible memory (the integrated video chipsets are particularly picky;
    >make sure a particular brand is compatible before buying).
    >
    >Besides, your GeForce2 Ti, with its dedicated 128-bit memory, is
    >probably faster than an nForce2 IGP anyway.

    Steve and Lachoneus thanks.
    I have enough power in 90% of the time.
    If I want to try some serious overclocking I have to buy a new
    motherboard, cpu, memory, video HSF, etc
    I will look if I can find an AMD XP2400+ (less than $100 here in the
    Netherlands) which would work on the AK77pro; I can raise the cpu
    speedsetting to 156 (from 133) and cpu voltage from 1.750 to 1.850 and
    learn to overclock a little a cheap way.
    Bob

AMD Overclocking Video Motherboards Memory