New Sound Card

I recently bought a new PC, Pentium 4 3ghz, that came with integrated sound
and graphics. I sorted a graphics card out straight away but am now looking
to get a sound card. It's a family PC and apart from using it for
homework/work/internet, it's also used a lot for games, music and watching
DVD's. I'm looking at spending around £50, can anyone recommend a sound
card. I've done a little research on the net but for every good review I
find a bad one so it's not really helping!

Any recommendations and as to why would be received gratefully.

Thanks in advance

John
6 answers Last reply
More about sound card

    Best one I've come across is the Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS. Really nice
    audio. Of course, a good soundcard will be redundant if you don't have a
    good speaker setup!

    For those that say Soundblaster products come with a lot of bloatware, you
    can just install the drivers and not all the other stuff that comes with it.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I recently bought a new PC, Pentium 4 3ghz, that came with integrated sound
    >and graphics. I sorted a graphics card out straight away but am now looking
    >to get a sound card. It's a family PC and apart from using it for
    >homework/work/internet, it's also used a lot for games, music and watching
    >DVD's. I'm looking at spending around £50, can anyone recommend a sound
    >card. I've done a little research on the net but for every good review I
    >find a bad one so it's not really helping!
    >
    > Any recommendations and as to why would be received gratefully.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > John

    Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit
    http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10315

    Installing a New Sound Card
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/learnmore/installsoundcard.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "John Lord" wrote:

    | I recently bought a new PC, Pentium 4 3ghz, that came with integrated sound
    | and graphics. I sorted a graphics card out straight away but am now looking
    | to get a sound card. It's a family PC and apart from using it for
    | homework/work/internet, it's also used a lot for games, music and watching
    | DVD's. I'm looking at spending around £50, can anyone recommend a sound
    | card. I've done a little research on the net but for every good review I
    | find a bad one so it's not really helping!
    |
    | Any recommendations and as to why would be received gratefully.
    |
    | Thanks in advance
    |
    | John

    Cheers Cari, It's one of the ones I was considering, the PC is in the front
    room (i like to make sure the kids are safe on the net), so will be hooking
    it up to my home cinema system, so have a good speaker setup! does it have a
    digital out?

    Thanks

    John
    > Best one I've come across is the Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS. Really nice
    > audio. Of course, a good soundcard will be redundant if you don't have a
    > good speaker setup!
    >
    > For those that say Soundblaster products come with a lot of bloatware, you
    > can just install the drivers and not all the other stuff that comes with
    > it.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "John Lord" <jonlordy3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>I recently bought a new PC, Pentium 4 3ghz, that came with integrated
    >>sound and graphics. I sorted a graphics card out straight away but am now
    >>looking to get a sound card. It's a family PC and apart from using it for
    >>homework/work/internet, it's also used a lot for games, music and watching
    >>DVD's. I'm looking at spending around £50, can anyone recommend a sound
    >>card. I've done a little research on the net but for every good review I
    >>find a bad one so it's not really helping!
    >>
    >> Any recommendations and as to why would be received gratefully.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> John

    I would go with at least the Audigy2 ZS, which was the next generation after
    the Live card.
    Does a lot more of the processing on the card's processor, which means it
    eats less cpu cycles.

    Don Burnette

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit
    > http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10315
    >
    > Installing a New Sound Card
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/learnmore/installsoundcard.mspx
    >

    >> I recently bought a new PC, Pentium 4 3ghz, that came with
    >> integrated sound and graphics. I sorted a graphics card out straight
    >> away but am now looking to get a sound card. It's a family PC and
    >> apart from using it for homework/work/internet, it's also used a lot
    >> for games, music and watching DVD's. I'm looking at spending around
    >> £50, can anyone recommend a sound card. I've done a little research
    >> on the net but for every good review I find a bad one so it's not
    >> really helping!
    >>
    >> Any recommendations and as to why would be received gratefully.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> John

    cheers everyone, i think i've made my mind up on the audigy2 ZS, I found one
    for £44 which i don't think is bad so will order it this weekend.

    Thanks again for the useful advice

    John

    "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I would go with at least the Audigy2 ZS, which was the next generation
    >after the Live card.
    > Does a lot more of the processing on the card's processor, which means it
    > eats less cpu cycles.
    >
    > Don Burnette
    >

    > Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >> Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit
    >> http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=206&product=10315
    >>
    >> Installing a New Sound Card
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/learnmore/installsoundcard.mspx
    >>

    >>> I recently bought a new PC, Pentium 4 3ghz, that came with
    >>> integrated sound and graphics. I sorted a graphics card out straight
    >>> away but am now looking to get a sound card. It's a family PC and
    >>> apart from using it for homework/work/internet, it's also used a lot
    >>> for games, music and watching DVD's. I'm looking at spending around
    >>> £50, can anyone recommend a sound card. I've done a little research
    >>> on the net but for every good review I find a bad one so it's not
    >>> really helping!
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations and as to why would be received gratefully.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> John

    Your very welcome, enjoy the new soundcard!

    Don Burnette

    ps: A nice kick butt 5.1 or better speaker system really shines with it :)

    John Lord wrote:
    > cheers everyone, i think i've made my mind up on the audigy2 ZS, I
    > found one for £44 which i don't think is bad so will order it this
    > weekend.
    > Thanks again for the useful advice
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I would go with at least the Audigy2 ZS, which was the next
    >> generation after the Live card.
    >> Does a lot more of the processing on the card's processor, which
    >> means it eats less cpu cycles.
    >>
    >> Don Burnette
    >>

    >> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    >>> Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit