GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I have a network or XP PCs, one of them with a Brother printer
attached. For the last few months the printer will not work (networked
PCs say the printer cannot be reached) unless the print server PC (as
we call it) has the printer window open (Start-Printers and Faxes, and
then clicking on the printer and opening that window for it). If this
window is not open the printer does not work.
Is there any reason for this; as far as I know it shouldn't be
neccisary, and I know it used to work without this being open. Is there
any way to make it not neccisary, and if not, is there any way to get
that window to open on startup automatically?

gregf@kcls.org wrote:
> I have a network or XP PCs, one of them with a Brother printer
> attached. For the last few months the printer will not work (networked
> PCs say the printer cannot be reached) unless the print server PC (as
> we call it) has the printer window open (Start-Printers and Faxes, and
> then clicking on the printer and opening that window for it). If this
> window is not open the printer does not work.
> Is there any reason for this; as far as I know it shouldn't be
> neccisary, and I know it used to work without this being open. Is there
> any way to make it not neccisary, and if not, is there any way to get
> that window to open on startup automatically?

That's actually odd. Have you tried to remove that printer completely
and then installing it again from the scratch? It looks like its drivers
are corrupt.