AMD XP-Athlon and the AMD Sempron?

what is the difference between the AMD XP-Athlon and the AMD Sempron?

Richard

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:46:53 -0700, Richard Miller wrote:

> what is the difference between the AMD XP-Athlon and the AMD Sempron?

Nothing other than a new name and a higher rating to be compared to
Celeron cpus. Thus the reason for the new name, and maybe to fool
consumers too since the price is higher than comparable Athlons Search
back through this group for sempron for details.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
> what is the difference between the AMD XP-Athlon and the AMD Sempron?

Marketing scam, pure and simple. Barton 2500....1833Mhz, 512K L2. Sempron
2500...1750Mhz, 256Kb L2 . How they can justify the same rating with
identical CPU architecture, 1/2 the L2 cache and slower Mhz is beyond me.
The Barton itself was somewhat overrated at the higher end models. The
Sempron is grossly overrated as to equivalent performance for all models.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:44:26 +0000, Augustus wrote:

> "Richard Miller" <miller57@cox.net> wrote in message
>> what is the difference between the AMD XP-Athlon and the AMD Sempron?
>
> Marketing scam, pure and simple. Barton 2500....1833Mhz, 512K L2. Sempron
> 2500...1750Mhz, 256Kb L2 . How they can justify the same rating with
> identical CPU architecture, 1/2 the L2 cache and slower Mhz is beyond me.
> The Barton itself was somewhat overrated at the higher end models. The
> Sempron is grossly overrated as to equivalent performance for all models.

The Sempron is rated against the Celeron, not the P4. And those of you
that think the Athlons are rated to the old 1400 and not the P4 might want
to note this before you argue the point again.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> The Sempron is rated against the Celeron, not the P4.

Yes, I know that. But the point is that the overwhelming majority of people
who are confronted with this rating when contemplating a new system or
upgrading will not realize that, and assume that the Sempron rating is
either a true speed in Mhz or the same thing as the Barton or Tbred
equivalent. It is a marketing scam...designed to overstate the performance
of the chip and mislead the buyer.

The most important difference is price!! amd sempron costs more than athlon,
amd sempron (some models) have the same socket with athlon 64.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:31:14 +0000, Augustus wrote:

>> The Sempron is rated against the Celeron, not the P4.
>
> Yes, I know that. But the point is that the overwhelming majority of people
> who are confronted with this rating when contemplating a new system or
> upgrading will not realize that, and assume that the Sempron rating is
> either a true speed in Mhz or the same thing as the Barton or Tbred
> equivalent. It is a marketing scam...designed to overstate the performance
> of the chip and mislead the buyer.

Yes I realize that and I think I was the first to point it out in the NG
some time back.:)

Yes i think you were Wes
:)

przemo wrote :
> The most important difference is price!! amd sempron costs more than athlon,
> amd sempron (some models) have the same socket with athlon 64.

I understood Sempron architecture was based on AMD64, without 64bits
instructions and half L2 cache.

Site : http://www.mesnews.net

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:48:22 +0200, L'incal wrote:

> przemo wrote :
>> The most important difference is price!! amd sempron costs more than athlon,
>> amd sempron (some models) have the same socket with athlon 64.
>
> I understood Sempron architecture was based on AMD64, without 64bits
> instructions and half L2 cache.

Only the socket 754 models, and unless they've introduced a new one
lately, the 3100+ is the only socket 754 one out. All the rest below this
are socket A and are all the same cores as Athlon XP's.