USB port or HUBB what ever it is i have a problem too

Hi there,

Every thing was okay till one day it wasn't.

Running Asus laptop L3 series.
Windows XP Pro legitamit
512 MB RAm 80 gig HD

Mouse is plugged into one USB socket.
One USB socket spare.
In the spare USB i had a USB 2.0 Hub 4-Port plugged in and powered.

Into that I had External Pioneer 109 DVD burner encased inside a
BELKIN Box. USB Cable from there to the 4 port Hub.

All has been working fine for last 4 months then BINGO it stopped
working. 4-Hub I mean.

Took "USB 2.0 Hub 4-Port" to shop and they check it in a machine and it
worked great. But they gave me a new one. Still no go.

When I plug it into the spare USB port on laptop I would get the same
error message.

Following that, when I plugged the DVD burner into the spare USB port
also same message. Mouse will work in both ports.

But DVD burner and the USB Hub 4-port both get the error as meantioned
below. I have un-installed all the USB ports meantioned in the
Device Manager.

NOW THE ERROR MESSAGE SAYS:

"USB Device not recognized. One of the devices attached to this computer
has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. for assistance in
solving this problem click this message."

I follow instructions to the T but no fix.

In Device Manager a drop down box shows the following information:

USB ROOT HUB (6 Port)
unused port
unused port
Unknown Port
unused port
unused port
unused port

Plug another device into the port and both 2 ports on laptop work okay
but the 2 items meationed at top of this letter.

I'm at my wits end. All my windows and software is up to date and SP2 as
well. One minute all was well next BLAAAA

help please
ken

It could be a device connected to the hub that is causing the problem.
Remove all devices. Reboot. Connect one device at a time. After each
connect, check in device manager to view the USB status. You will see which
device is the source of your problem, when you plug in that particular
device.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,