i cannot overclock my amd duron 1600

hi! i'm new in this group. my problem is: i can't set my fsb to 150 or 166.
my motherboard is abit kd7a, my cpu serial number is 0517. please help

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:47:43 +0200, przemo wrote:

> hi! i'm new in this group. my problem is: i can't set my fsb to 150 or 166.
> my motherboard is abit kd7a, my cpu serial number is 0517. please help

OK, what core (CPUID 680 or 681)? What ram?

You also might want to see this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=overclocking+duron+1600&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Results 1 - 10 of about 802 for overclocking duron 1600. (0.44 seconds)

i don't know what my cpus number is. how can i check this?

ok. now i can set fsb but windows xp doesn't want to load. during loading on
screen appears "stop error": PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and system reboots. when i set
normal fsb everything is ok
what should i do? please help

"przemo" <wiesiek144@wp.pl> wrote in message
> ok. now i can set fsb but windows xp doesn't want to load. during loading
> on
> screen appears "stop error": PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and system reboots. when i
> set
> normal fsb everything is ok
> what should i do? please help

I suppose the obvious answer is to try overclocking it less.

People can not help you if you do not give them the information they need to
help you. what type of ram are you using, have you tested your ram to see
if it is working properly, how much are you increasing cpu speed and are you
adjusting the voltages?
Assuming you have a multiplier locked duron at default 12x133=1596Mhz. Then
12 x 150 = 1800mhz and 12x166 = 1922mhz, these speeds will probably need an
increase in vcore. It also depends if the cpu is an 'A' core cpuid 680 or a
'B' core cpuid 681, as 1922mhz at 1.85v vcore is about the stable limit of
my XP 1800+ 'A' core. Whereas a 'B' core should easily go much faster, at
least 2200mhz with less voltage

The pfn error suggests that the problem is memory / driver related and its
temporary nature that the fsb/memory is being set too high - or there is not
enough vcore for the cpu - however, you have a KT400 chipset you will
probably not be able to get much over 180Mhz fsb top speed anyway so it is
unlikely to be fsb as you are within limits and therefore it is most likely
either memory or cpu (vcore), also is your ram running at the same speed as
your fsb or at +33% which may run it too fast

Perhaps these may be of some help, depending on how good your English is.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291806

and a reasonable explanation of pfn can be found at

http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=334

but why this is happening (pfn error) when I overclock my cpu? not when fsb
is default?
and i have win 98 se too and system is loading normally when i set fsb at
150 and vcore @ 1,8 . but at 166/1.8V everything is going bad.
and sorry for my english-i'm from poland and i'm still learning english @
shool

> but why this is happening (pfn error) when I overclock my cpu? not when
> fsb
> is default?
> and i have win 98 se too and system is loading normally when i set fsb at
> 150 and vcore @ 1,8 . but at 166/1.8V everything is going bad.
> and sorry for my english-i'm from poland and i'm still learning english @
> shool

simply - it is happening because you are making the computer go too fast
without providing it with the correct environment for it to run that fast.

get a program called "aida32" from

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html (or anywhere else) and install
it - it has a Polish language file (I think).
Run the program and click on where it says 'motherboard' Then you will see
an option called 'CPUID'. Click on this option. Then read what it says
after 'CPUID Revision'.
This is a hexadecimal number that for your cpu should be either "0680h" =
'A' Core or "0681h" = 'B' Core.

If your cpu is an 'A' Core (0680h) it may not to be able to run at 12x166
(1992mhz ) even with a vcore of 1.85v (I run my XP1800+ at 11.5x167 =
1920mhz (it is an old one that lets me change the multiplier) - it can not
run stable at 12x166).

If your cpu is a 'B' core (0681h) then the problem is probably not the cpu
- but try giving it 1.85v and seeing if 12x166 works. But be aware of the
temperatures.

Also you do not say what your RAM is - is it at least PC2700? - if it is
PC2100 - it may well not run at 166mhz. Also is the RAM running at the same
speed as the fsb - if it is running faster ie +33mhz or 5:4 then that may
well be the problem.

How old is the bios, does the version you have support 166fsb or will you
have to update it to enable 166fsb support.

i have this program (it has polish language pack :)) and i will check my
cpu's number.
My ram is pc3200 and it's runing @ 400
i will check also what is bios date- i'll update it if there is newer
wersion

my CPUID Revision number is: 0681h
and Extended CPUID Revision is: 0781h
help!

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:55:20 +0200, przemo wrote:

> my CPUID Revision number is: 0681h
> and Extended CPUID Revision is: 0781h
> help!

681= Tbred B core. Should overclock to about 2400Mhz given enough vcore.

Set vcore to 1.65v. Set FSB to 166. That will give you 2000Mhz. You need
PC2700 ram for this to run in sync.

Set vcore to 1.85v. Set FSB to 200 and that will give you 2400MHz. You'll
need a decent cpu for for this. And you might not be able to get it this
high. If not, try FSB at 185MHz. You'll need PC3200 ram for this in sync.

And you also need to quote at least some of the previous message if you
expect anyone to know what you are talking about when replying. Right now
i don't know anything you have except a tbred B core cpu. MB? Ram?

> my CPUID Revision number is: 0681h
> and Extended CPUID Revision is: 0781h
> help!

It is best if you learn how to help yourself

So you have a "B" core - that should run at at least 2200mhz
your board has VIA KT400A and VT8235CE chipsets. The fastest fsb you will
be able to set will be 180-185mhz - running at the same speed as the memory
- if you run the memory faster than the fsb you may make a problem.

so maybe 12x180mhz (2160mhz) - 12x185 (2200mhz) is the most you can expect
to get out of your computer.

Try setting the vcore to 1.85v and fsb/memory to 180mhz and seeing if that
works.
If it does work you can try increasing the fsb until it no longer works
or/and decreasing the voltage until it no longer works (than going back to
when it last worked).

If it does not work - you will need to learn what information people need to
help you and provide it. Maybe the CAS (CL) of the ram is set too high,
maybe the thermal protection for the cpu is stopping it.

Are you still getting the same error message? - people can not help if you
do not give them the information they need to help you