ClAy

I have an HP DVD writer 640 b running on Windows XP media center edition.
Out of nowhere my burner slowed down from reading and writing all discs from
8x speed to between 1.4 and 2.5 x speeds. This is quite annoying. What the
heck happened? I installed no new software of any kind. Just burned one
disc fine, and the very next disc, it was just running slow. POS syndrome?

Malke

Clay wrote:

> I have an HP DVD writer 640 b running on Windows XP media center
> edition. Out of nowhere my burner slowed down from reading and writing
> all discs from
> 8x speed to between 1.4 and 2.5 x speeds. This is quite annoying.
> What the
> heck happened? I installed no new software of any kind. Just burned
> one
> disc fine, and the very next disc, it was just running slow. POS
> syndrome?

Check to make sure the drive is using the proper mode - it should be
DMA. It definitely should *not* be PIO. Here is a link explaining All:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

What software are you using to create your DVDs? I am not sure about MCE
but XP Pro/Home does not allow the creation of DVDs natively.