Random boot freeze at "Detecting IDE Drives"

Hello,

My AMD 2400 XP+ system has an 80G Maxtor (primary IDE) and 30G
(secondary IDE w/Linux only). I'm getting random freezes at the point
where the bios detects IDE drives. I'll hear a weak beeping noise, and
the boot process will be halted before it detects an IDE drive. I
changed ribbon cables, and the problem seemed to go away only for a
while. I then changed mainboards, because the PC Chips seemed flaky
anyway. Now, with the new ABit, the problem happened again. Usually
several power on/offs will clear up the problem, and sometimes
unplugging the machine helps. Other symptoms include occasional random
"blue screens of death" during normal usage with "dumping physical
memory" messages. I ran the manufacturer diagnostic tools on both hard
drives, and there was nothing detected. The machine will run for days
between incidents. Could this be a power supply issue? I'm plugged
into a UPS, but maybe the power supply is flaky. Could either of my
two CD drives (secondary) be causing this? I don't see how the hard
drive electronics could be an issue, because they work flawlessly for
days, and the diagnostic tools gave them a pass. I would appreciate
any suggestions. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about random boot freeze detecting drives

    If it is stalling at this point, it is definitely not a windows issue.

    Make sure your cables are good.
    Also make sure your power supply is good
    Check to see that the drive(s) are jumpered correctly.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "JM" <jm_newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My AMD 2400 XP+ system has an 80G Maxtor (primary IDE) and 30G
    > (secondary IDE w/Linux only). I'm getting random freezes at the point
    > where the bios detects IDE drives. I'll hear a weak beeping noise, and
    > the boot process will be halted before it detects an IDE drive. I
    > changed ribbon cables, and the problem seemed to go away only for a
    > while. I then changed mainboards, because the PC Chips seemed flaky
    > anyway. Now, with the new ABit, the problem happened again. Usually
    > several power on/offs will clear up the problem, and sometimes
    > unplugging the machine helps. Other symptoms include occasional random
    > "blue screens of death" during normal usage with "dumping physical
    > memory" messages. I ran the manufacturer diagnostic tools on both hard
    > drives, and there was nothing detected. The machine will run for days
    > between incidents. Could this be a power supply issue? I'm plugged
    > into a UPS, but maybe the power supply is flaky. Could either of my
    > two CD drives (secondary) be causing this? I don't see how the hard
    > drive electronics could be an issue, because they work flawlessly for
    > days, and the diagnostic tools gave them a pass. I would appreciate
    > any suggestions. Thanks.

    make sure the plug is tight on the case and wall.

    "JM" <jm_newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My AMD 2400 XP+ system has an 80G Maxtor (primary IDE) and 30G
    > (secondary IDE w/Linux only). I'm getting random freezes at the point
    > where the bios detects IDE drives. I'll hear a weak beeping noise, and
    > the boot process will be halted before it detects an IDE drive. I
    > changed ribbon cables, and the problem seemed to go away only for a
    > while. I then changed mainboards, because the PC Chips seemed flaky
    > anyway. Now, with the new ABit, the problem happened again. Usually
    > several power on/offs will clear up the problem, and sometimes
    > unplugging the machine helps. Other symptoms include occasional random
    > "blue screens of death" during normal usage with "dumping physical
    > memory" messages. I ran the manufacturer diagnostic tools on both hard
    > drives, and there was nothing detected. The machine will run for days
    > between incidents. Could this be a power supply issue? I'm plugged
    > into a UPS, but maybe the power supply is flaky. Could either of my
    > two CD drives (secondary) be causing this? I don't see how the hard
    > drive electronics could be an issue, because they work flawlessly for
    > days, and the diagnostic tools gave them a pass. I would appreciate
    > any suggestions. Thanks.

Windows XP