Random boot freeze at "Detecting IDE Drives"

August 26, 2005 12:34:49 AM

Hello,

My AMD 2400 XP+ system has an 80G Maxtor (primary IDE) and 30G
(secondary IDE w/Linux only). I'm getting random freezes at the point
where the bios detects IDE drives. I'll hear a weak beeping noise, and
the boot process will be halted before it detects an IDE drive. I
changed ribbon cables, and the problem seemed to go away only for a
while. I then changed mainboards, because the PC Chips seemed flaky
anyway. Now, with the new ABit, the problem happened again. Usually
several power on/offs will clear up the problem, and sometimes
unplugging the machine helps. Other symptoms include occasional random
"blue screens of death" during normal usage with "dumping physical
memory" messages. I ran the manufacturer diagnostic tools on both hard
drives, and there was nothing detected. The machine will run for days
between incidents. Could this be a power supply issue? I'm plugged
into a UPS, but maybe the power supply is flaky. Could either of my
two CD drives (secondary) be causing this? I don't see how the hard
drive electronics could be an issue, because they work flawlessly for
days, and the diagnostic tools gave them a pass. I would appreciate
any suggestions. Thanks.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 4:44:52 AM

If it is stalling at this point, it is definitely not a windows issue.

Make sure your cables are good.
Also make sure your power supply is good
Check to see that the drive(s) are jumpered correctly.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"JM" <jm_newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My AMD 2400 XP+ system has an 80G Maxtor (primary IDE) and 30G
> (secondary IDE w/Linux only). I'm getting random freezes at the point
> where the bios detects IDE drives. I'll hear a weak beeping noise, and
> the boot process will be halted before it detects an IDE drive. I
> changed ribbon cables, and the problem seemed to go away only for a
> while. I then changed mainboards, because the PC Chips seemed flaky
> anyway. Now, with the new ABit, the problem happened again. Usually
> several power on/offs will clear up the problem, and sometimes
> unplugging the machine helps. Other symptoms include occasional random
> "blue screens of death" during normal usage with "dumping physical
> memory" messages. I ran the manufacturer diagnostic tools on both hard
> drives, and there was nothing detected. The machine will run for days
> between incidents. Could this be a power supply issue? I'm plugged
> into a UPS, but maybe the power supply is flaky. Could either of my
> two CD drives (secondary) be causing this? I don't see how the hard
> drive electronics could be an issue, because they work flawlessly for
> days, and the diagnostic tools gave them a pass. I would appreciate
> any suggestions. Thanks.

August 26, 2005 4:12:01 PM

make sure the plug is tight on the case and wall.

!